Thom Hogan's Guide to the D70

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Thom Hogan's Guide to the D70

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:16 pm

I received Thom's guide yesterday, have spent a very productive morning printing it out, and it is currently at Kinkos being cut and bound into two volumes.

Initial impressions are favourable. It appears clear, understandable and detailed. In pdf format on the computer, everything is linked etc, quite handy. My printed version will be enjoyable to browse on the tram.

It isn't cheap for an ebook, but I believe it is good value for money, and it is a small extra cost compared to the cost of the camera and extras.

Cost AUD $55 in my letterbox (US$29-95 + US$9-95 postage and handling)
Cutting and binding into two volumes $15
Printing, courtesy of my employer.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Re: Thom Hogan's Guide to the D70

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:29 pm

Greg B wrote:I received Thom's guide yesterday, have spent a very productive morning printing it out, and it is currently at Kinkos being cut and bound into two volumes.

Initial impressions are favourable. It appears clear, understandable and detailed. In pdf format on the computer, everything is linked etc, quite handy. My printed version will be enjoyable to browse on the tram.

It isn't cheap for an ebook, but I believe it is good value for money, and it is a small extra cost compared to the cost of the camera and extras.

Cost AUD $55 in my letterbox (US$29-95 + US$9-95 postage and handling)
Cutting and binding into two volumes $15
Printing, courtesy of my employer.

Someone emailed me and asked a quotation for replacement of a set of toner cartridge yesterday. :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:07 pm

Agree - very worthwhile investment. At times much more informative than the manual, and even more accurate (doesn't suffer from 'hype' that comes from manufacturer).
This was one of the first things I invested in after buying the camera, and have referred to it on a number of occassions since first reading.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Onyx on Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:16 pm

LOL @ Birddog.

I do agree Thom's book is worth it.
Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:37 pm

:lol: Birddog.

I have got the ebook and thought it was good as well. I actually had a interesting email exchange with Thom. On his site his review on the 12-24dx says that a foot is .28m and chides Nikon for rounding it to .30m. I emailed Thom to let him know he was wrong, his email back tried to tell me a foot varies from 11 to 13 inches and that he was right. Made for an interesting email exchange and his web site is still wrong http://www.bythom.com/1224lens.htm (unless of course a foot really does have 13 in :D )
Glen

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:08 pm

Glen wrote:his email back tried to tell me a foot varies from 11 to 13 inches and that he was right. Made for an interesting email exchange and his web site is still wrong http://www.bythom.com/1224lens.htm (unless of course a foot really does have 13 in :D )

13 inches - isn't that a baker's foot? :)

Thom isn't talking about the length of the foot hanging off the end of his leg is he? Cos otherwise, he is just being silly.

And according to the converter thingy on my phone, a foot is 30.48 cm. And that isn't subject to debate.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:11 pm

Perhaps Thom is talking about metric inches?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Thom Hogan's Guide to the D70

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:13 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Someone emailed me and asked a quotation for replacement of a set of toner cartridge yesterday. :lol:

We have got toner cartridges coming out the wazoo here Birdy - we even have an embedded Xerox guy!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:15 pm

gstark wrote:Perhaps Thom is talking about metric inches?

YES! That's what it would be, of course. :lol: :lol:

Those wacky Americans! (with all due and proper respect to our beloved American members)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:16 pm

This is part of his reply:

Well, the US is one of the few remaining countries to use the foot as the standard unit of measurement. According to the US Survey, the appropriate conversion is 3.28083 feet to a meter. There are 10 historic measurements for feet, which range from 11.66 to 13.19 inches in length (the English historical mark is 13.19), and it is the latter of these that your country is apparently using. Unfortunately, that won't match any ruler in the US.

He even has the right conversion factor, which I pointed out, but still doesn't change his site. Very amusing
Glen

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:24 pm

I've heard of imperial (vs US) pints and gallons (etc) but not feet.

I'll check the CIA factbook later, if someone reminds me. (It's a handy reference for all manner of things)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:38 pm

CIA factbook? So you are the one following Matt?
Glen

Postby RisingPhoenix on Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:15 pm

I Must admit i was very impressed with the quality of the eBook for my F80 (N80). I just have to convince myself that i should get the D70 eBook as well now, this camera just keeps getting more expensive :) Oh well, the joys of photography i guess.. Maybe repeat purchasers will get a discount :)

As for printing/binding the eBook, i find it easier to carry my F80 guides on my pocket pc..

Steve
RisingPhoenix

Postby Dargan on Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:35 pm

re; the length of a ruler above. Have we forgotten America is the land of Bigfoot. Just a small 'pedantic' point. :D
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Raydar on Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Well worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:10 pm

I got D100 & D70 ebooks from Thom, found them very valuable for my learning curves, am on his waiting list for the D2xx book, no discount from him even I asked him: I want to order 10 x D70 books at a time, thought to save cost on shipping & handling and pass to our community at cost but his replies without any interest.

I also have the ebooks from Ron Reznick, cost US$75.00 + $9.00 shipping, just upgraded to the second edition, paid it US$25.00 + $9.00 shipping, it's very costly but very happy with them, highly recommended it if you can afford.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:31 pm

Birddog, once again thinking of the members :D Thanks

You would think Thom would do something on freight, at $10US per book there is $100us to be played with. It's not quite that much to send 10 CD's. Great photographer and author, but his maths both in measurement and addition leave something to be desired
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:31 pm

Glen wrote:Birddog, once again thinking of the members :D Thanks

You would think Thom would do something on freight, at $10US per book there is $100us to be played with. It's not quite that much to send 10 CD's. Great photographer and author, but his maths both in measurement and addition leave something to be desired

Glen,
Not only Thom that I approached, I had few attempt with some others too but no luck, actually the real shipping cost per ebook that I received is around US$3.50.00 and he charged US$9.00, I've seen few threads complaining about this issues on dpreview but he knew: peolpe need his ebook and he does the way he want.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby RisingPhoenix on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:20 pm

Yeah my F80 eBook had postage of $4.40 on it.. If enough people end up getting ticked about it, it will end up on Shareaza or just being distributed around by others..

Steve
RisingPhoenix

Postby Onyx on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:46 am

RisingPhoenix wrote:If enough people end up getting ticked about it, it will end up on Shareaza or just being distributed around by others..

/me shifty sideways look
Onyx

Postby RisingPhoenix on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:26 am

Can't trust anyone from OCAU nowadays... all too shifty..

Steve
RisingPhoenix

Return to Equipment Reviews