First shot with SB-800....

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First shot with SB-800....

Postby Aussie Dave on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:05 pm

Unfortunately, this is probably the lamest photo I could have posted however it is the first shot taken with my D70 and *new* SB800.

I am particularly happy with it, considering it was taken with my Sigma 70-300 APO II @ 300mm (macro mode), 1/320sec. f8, and in "extremely" low light - almost total darkness:

I can't wait to get this thing in front of something worthwhile to shoot....

Will the lust never end ?!?!?....[no need to answer this question - I know it won't !!!]

Aussie Dave :-)
Aussie Dave

Postby fozzie on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:13 pm

Aussie Dave,

I was reading your post at work early this morning about the service and excellent delivery from B&H in the USA with cost of AU$480. Then when on PixSpot I was looking at something else and your pliers caught my eye. Then your post has explained it all. As days go by, I am sure you will find something more appealing ie flowers, insect/flowers etc. Enjoy your new toy and I am sure better things are in front of you.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby rhino on Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:40 pm

geez, I must get myself one of those.
rhino

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:45 pm

Dave,

A truly gripping image. :)

Seriously, I'm presuming that you've bounced the flash, and in so doing, you've attained an excellent lighting balance over the whole field of view. Well done.

As to the lust ending .... fergedaboutit!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby boxerboy on Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:51 pm

gstark wrote:A truly gripping image.

That's bad :lol:

Beautifully lit, mundane subject but interesting technically.

cheers
Peter
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:39 pm

gstark wrote:Dave,

A truly gripping image. :)

Seriously, I'm presuming that you've bounced the flash, and in so doing, you've attained an excellent lighting balance over the whole field of view. Well done.

As to the lust ending .... fergedaboutit!

I did indeed bounce the flash off the roof. I was so amazed by how well the shot came out considering the level of light that was in the room.

Nikon have certainly done themselves proud with the SB800. I still haven't had a chance to really test it out but from what I've seen so far, it's like harnessing the sun on top of your D70.......well, almost anyway !

And yes, I know the lust will never end. I've just accepted it as part of my life now.

Now where did that semi naked model go that wanted me to take photos of her...................?????
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Return to Equipment Reviews