COKIN Filters

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

COKIN Filters

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:10 pm

Ha all :D

I just bought my way into the world of Cokin filters today & was wondering how many of the forum members have tried or own these awesome things?????
I’ll be taking a few images this weekend to see what I can pull out of the hat :idea: :?:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:34 pm

Raydar,
What series do you have? P or Z or X series?
and what filter?

Cokin has heap of filters in their filter range.
I have and use Cokin as well in landscape with ND, Rainbow/ portrait/ special effect like star etc...

Good of Cokin is: you can use their filters on any lens (P/Z/X-series) in A type then need an adapter, save lot of money if you have many lens in difference size in your bag and good on tripod or relaxing taking pictures.

Not with PJ or any photogs run around for hunting photos and not very quick in swapping lens, same as very bulky if you have so many Cokin filters to carry around.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:52 pm

I got the P series mate :wink:

I picked up a red filter to have a play with, they didn’t have much of a selection there today but there’s a heap coming in.

I like what I’ve seen with this set up so far, should be good :roll:

Cheers
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby W00DY on Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:59 pm

Raydar wrote:I got the P series mate :wink:

I picked up a red filter to have a play with, they didn’t have much of a selection there today but there’s a heap coming in.

I like what I’ve seen with this set up so far, should be good :roll:

Cheers

I use the P series also. One thing to watch out for is when you use them with the kit lens (or any lens of 24mm) don't have a UV filter on also otherwise you get vignetting (not sure if this is actually what it is called), basically you get black corners in your frame.

I used it for ages thinking there was nothing I could do about it, then thought of removing the UV filter and all was sweet. I only have the CR Polorizer.

Good system though, I also find the cradle works as a lens protector, I basically leave it on all the time.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:08 pm

Thanks Woody :D

I thought that would be the case with the UV so I took it off.
I was thinking of leaving the cradle on with the lens protector that came in the package, it’s nice & robust so it should take a bit of punishment :shock:

Cheers
Raydar

Postby W00DY on Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:13 pm

Raydar wrote:I was thinking of leaving the cradle on with the lens protector that came in the package.

Yep, Exactly what I do. I find the lens protector easier to slide in and out then the normal lens cap (I find it hard squeezing those middle bits together).

I shoudl really get some new filters as I have had the system for over a year and only bought the one filter :shock:

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Mj on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:48 am

Been considering getting the Cokin P kit. I've read mixed reviews, especially regarding the quality of their ND filters, but given the overall cost savings just by using the CP filter alone it seems like a good way to go for me. I'll look forward to near future reports from you!!!
Mj

Postby Raydar on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:18 pm

I’ll keep you posted MJ.
As my collection get a little bigger :shock:

Cheers
Raydar

Postby Hlop on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:26 am

Just bringing back an old tread ...

I'm thinking about purchasing Cokin system. Anyone still using it? Would you like to share your opinion? Suggestions for bginner? And, BTW, what should I buy?
1. Adaptor Ring P
2. Filter holder P
3. Filters

Anything else? Should I buy Filter-Holder cup or it's coming with holder?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby Hlop on Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:52 pm

I assume there is no Cokin users left :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:56 pm

Hlop wrote:I assume there is no Cokin users left :)

They're all gone fishing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Hlop wrote:I assume there is no Cokin users left :)

I'm left :D

I still only have the polariser which I find excellent.

I have the P series and don't reallyno much about the other types. Not even sure what comes in the package as I got it as a present for Xmas.

You do need the adapter rings for each thread size but the are only about $15 - $20 so no big deal.

I think the cokin system is good if you have a lot of lenses so you only have to carry around one filter and some adapter rings (I know others will disagree on this one).

Probably not much help but at least you know you will not be the only one using it :D

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Hlop on Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:12 pm

Thanks Woody!

Actually, this is the reason why I'm buying Cokin - got 4 lenses all are different sizes and thinking about some more lenses which will be another size as well.
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby Killakoala on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:58 pm

I have P series filters. Several ND's and a Grad ND and a Yellow and an Infra-Red89b.

The Grad ND gets the most use.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Nicole on Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:23 pm

I also have the P series and only have the Grad ND at the moment. I've read that they're not a true neutral filter (slightly grey) but for the price...
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby birddog114 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:12 pm

Hlop wrote:Thanks Woody!

Actually, this is the reason why I'm buying Cokin - got 4 lenses all are different sizes and thinking about some more lenses which will be another size as well.

Hilop,
Get all of the Cokin filter series and write review of each for members to use as reference.
Honestly, I still have about 20 Cokin filters which I bought since 1990 and used them on the F90 with 52mm and now packed them in my small museum as collectible items.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:37 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Hilop,
Get all of the Cokin filter series and write review of each for members to use as reference.
Honestly, I still have about 20 Cokin filters which I bought since 1990 and used them on the F90 with 52mm and now packed them in my small museum as collectible items.

Collectable Items = Useless Items? :)

Seriously, often you need CPL or grad ND filters, Just imagine buying CPL for each lens, especially fo 77mm? It will cost a fortune ... And if I'll have a Cokin system, so, I might try other filters.
Last edited by Hlop on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby W00DY on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Hlop wrote:
Seriously, often you need CPL or grad ND filters, Just imagine buying CPL for each lens, especially fo 77mm? It will cost a fortune ... And if I'll have a Cokin system, so, I might try other filters.

This is what I like... One filter for all lenses.

There are advantages of Hoya etc filters also but the Cokin system allows you to spend money on other stuff also :D
Andrew
W00DY

Postby leek on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:43 pm

Hlop (and anyone else)...

I have a range of about 15 filters and masks for the Cokin system... You're more than welcome to try them at a mini-meet... Just let me know when you're going to be about... What I don't have (yet) is the adaptor ring for the holder...

They are about 20 years old, so I'm not sure what Cokin system they are...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Hlop on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:49 pm

leek wrote:I have a range of about 15 filters and masks for the Cokin system... You're more than welcome to try them at a mini-meet... Just let me know when you're going to be about... What I don't have (yet) is the adaptor ring for the holder...

Wow! Nice offer! Thank you very much! One more reason to go to mini-meet :D
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Collectable Items = Useless Items?

They're useless! cos I don't use the 50mm with any filters :lol:

All my lenses now are in 72 or 77mm, one 77mm filter size/ type can be used on all of them with stepup ring.

Only the the 24-120 + 28/1.4 are 72mm and I rarely have CPL on them, the rest of them are 77mm.

One of CPL and ND filter are often in my bag with coupa stepup rings.
More compact and conveniently.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby leek on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:57 pm

Hlop wrote:
leek wrote:I have a range of about 15 filters and masks for the Cokin system... You're more than welcome to try them at a mini-meet... Just let me know when you're going to be about... What I don't have (yet) is the adaptor ring for the holder...

Wow! Nice offer! Thank you very much! One more reason to go to mini-meet :D

Mikhail,
Don't get too excited... I probably don't have many of the ones you're interested in... I documented what I have in this thread a while ago...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby birddog114 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 pm

Leek,
Bravo! you're in the right spot! let the Cokin RIP. :roll:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:37 pm

I remember that tread. Actually, thre are couple of my messages and I still didn't change my mind - I'm trying to keep PP as low as possible and prefer to use filter instead of PS photo-effect layer.

Anyway, would be interesting to try fog and softening with spot filters as well as would be interesting to see how polariser works in cokin system

Birddog,
No RIP, long live photo filters :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:59 am

Birddog,
No RIP, long live photo filters

Yes long live threaded filter :) as Cokin now produces and sell this type of filter too 8) cos the old Cokin system is not taking the market very well :D Go to some Sunday or photographic market, you'll find heap of them at the give away price 8)
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:16 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Yes long live threaded filter :) as Cokin now produces and sell this type of filter too 8) cos the old Cokin system is not taking the market very well :D Go to some Sunday or photographic market, you'll find heap of them at the give away price 8)

Uh-huh, curiosier and curiosier. Could you tell me, where can I find such market? It'd be great to get nice collection of filter at the giveaway price BTW. What's the problem with Cokin? Why they have problem with sales? Are they so inconvinient? Bad quality? Why? Why youself don't like 'em? I'm not picking you, I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:38 am

Hlop wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:

Uh-huh, curiosier and curiosier. Could you tell me, where can I find such market? It'd be great to get nice collection of filter at the giveaway price BTW. What's the problem with Cokin? Why they have problem with sales? Are they so inconvinient? Bad quality? Why? Why youself don't like 'em? I'm not picking you, I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong

Myself and Huynhie posted coupa spots of photographics market before, these type of markets similar to Sunday computer markets around Sydney, I think they have once a month near the Fish market, other are Sunday market in Campsie, Balmain, Leichardt, Canterbury (On Thursday), Flemington market, each location you may find some sellers with full table of photographic gears, some of them know the value, some of them don't, depend on your luck. Hey! but you told me many times: "you never have free time in the week end", so how you spend time searching the "Oldies but Goodies" in those markets :wink:

Cokin Filter System switched their filter and produced the thread filters lately cos the demand in the market of Cokin filters is not greatly as the thread filters, even they're cheap in comparison with other threaded filters but not so many photogs interested in them.
Go to any photographic stores: 100 guys walked in the store, 5 guys asked for the Cokin sytems and one guy bought it.
Maxwell is Cokin's disti in Australia, if you happen seeing their Cokin Sales chart for the last two years, perhaps you're not interesting of holding stock in your inventory.
Yes, the Cokin filter system is still there but now they producing the threaded filters, it's same story and marketing strategies of making film camera with digital camera.

Why myself don't like them? as mentioned in many of my previously posts of this thread and other filter's thread. Perhaps you may review all these threads.
I'm not saying I don't like them but don't use them cos I don't see any advantages of hauling the bulk of their filter in my backbag and on other side PP and PSCS mostly can handle them easily, except few types but not greatly.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:52 am

Birddog114 wrote: Hey! but you told me many times: "you never have free time in the week end", so how you spend time searching the "Oldies but Goodies" in those markets :wink:

1. I've never said "never" :wink: And, yeah, on Sundays I free most of the time. Satudarys are busy very often
2. Today I don't have time, tomorrow I will. Anyway, one day I'll retire and will have plenty of time :lol:

Could you remind me where I can get bit more information about these markets, especially, about "near Fish market" one?
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:55 am

Hlop wrote:
Birddog114 wrote: Hey! but you told me many times: "you never have free time in the week end", so how you spend time searching the "Oldies but Goodies" in those markets :wink:

1. I've never said "never" :wink: And, yeah, on Sundays I free most of the time. Satudarys are busy very often
2. Today I don't have time, tomorrow I will. Anyway, one day I'll retire and will have plenty of time :lol:

Could you remind me where I can get bit more information about these markets, especially, about "near Fish market" one?

Buy a Friday Newspaper (SMH/ Daily Telegraph) in the "Market Section".

And if you want to find good bargains, be earlier as 6:00am at Sunday Markets, by 7:00 or 8:00am, almost the goodies are gone with the hunters if the sellers have and prior to display them on their table.
Last edited by birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:04 am

I'll only use the Cokin graduated neutral density filters as I find that it is the most practical. The novelty of the other Cokin filters pretty much wears out after you use it a few times as they are anoying to put on, and take up much room in your bag. If you have a wide angle lens the filter holder will get in way of the field of view, the only way to fix this is to hack off the front two slots in your filter (this is what I did to mine).

Quality wise the Cokin filter is a compromise, it's plastic. Why would you want to place a AUD20 filter in fromt of your expensive glass?

Don't take Birddogs criticisms personally, you may not realise it but he is trying to save you money in the long run. After you purchase a few Cokin filters you'll understand why not many people use them any more.

Here is the thread on the Photographic Markets
huynhie

Postby W00DY on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:06 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Cokin Filter System switched their filter and produced the thread filters lately cos the demand in the market of Cokin filters is not greatly as the thread filters, even they're cheap in comparison with other threaded filters but not so many photogs interested in them

Does this mean that Cokin are only producing thread filters or are they still producing their normal filters as well?

I don't know the answer to this so please feel free to answer it for me but how many "essential" new filters are we seeing introduced to the market these days?

Besides CPL, ND, UV etc... how many people would use other filters on a regular basis?

Do most poeple only buy a filter once they buy a new lens or are there a lot of people that do use differnet filters all the time?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby huynhie on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:13 am

W00DY wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:
Cokin Filter System switched their filter and produced the thread filters lately cos the demand in the market of Cokin filters is not greatly as the thread filters, even they're cheap in comparison with other threaded filters but not so many photogs interested in them

Does this mean that Cokin are only producing thread filters or are they still producing their normal filters as well?

I don't know the answer to this so please feel free to answer it for me but how many "essential" new filters are we seeing introduced to the market these days?

Besides CPL, ND, UV etc... how many people would use other filters on a regular basis?

Do most poeple only buy a filter once they buy a new lens or are there a lot of people that do use differnet filters all the time?

W00DY

Cokin now make both threaded and slot in filters. They only used to make the the slot in exclusively.

The most popular filters these days are the UV/ Skylight/ Circular polarisers/ neutral density filters/ filter for B+W exposure.

The other reason why Cokin is not popular is that most of their filters are special effect type filters, which can now be done in Photoshop.
huynhie

Postby W00DY on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:19 am

huynhie wrote:
Cokin now make both threaded and slot in filters. They only used to make the the slot in exclusively.

The most popular filters these days are the UV/ Skylight/ Circular polarisers/ neutral density filters/ filter for B+W exposure.

The other reason why Cokin is not popular is that most of their filters are special effect type filters, which can now be done in Photoshop.

Thanks huynhie.

Does anyone know when Hoya last introduced a new filter? Since you can do most effects in photoshop these days, as huynhie has mentioned above, how has digital effected the filter companies?

Just some curious questions I am thining about :D

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:19 am

People can buy as many filters as they want and afford same as they buy as many brands as they like or suit to their tastes.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:22 am

Birddog114 wrote:

People can buy as many filters as they want and afford same as they buy as many brands as they like or suit to their tastes.

I realise that Birdy I was trying to get an idea of people using the special effect filters...

huynhie answered the question in his post.

Thanks

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:24 am

Thanks guys!

Birddog,

Wanna sell your collection of Cokins? :wink:
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby huynhie on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:27 am

W00DY wrote:Thanks huynhie.

Does anyone know when Hoya last introduced a new filter? Since you can do most effects in photoshop these days, as huynhie has mentioned above, how has digital effected the filter companies?

Just some curious questions I am thining about :D

W00DY

Check the Hoya website for more info on what Hoya is doing.
huynhie

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:30 am

Hlop wrote:Thanks guys!

Birddog,

Wanna sell your collection of Cokins? :wink:

Hilop,
What I bought in the past! if I don't use, don't need anymore, cos I alway bought the "fine" products or the products which I loved to used previously. I'll keep them as my collectible items same as I got the Nikkor Noct 58/f1.2 recently, I don't think I'll use it everyday but nice to have it in my collection of photography equipments and these are grown up everyday.
Perhaps, my children will put in the Sunday markets with $1.00 or $2.00 price tags on them, once I'm in the wooden box :cry:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:47 am

What I bought in the past! if I don't use, don't need anymore, cos I alway bought the "fine" products or the products which I loved to used previously. I'll keep them as my collectible items same as I got the Nikkor Noct 58/f1.2 recently, I don't think I'll use it everyday but nice to have it in my collection of photography equipments and these are grown up everyday.
Perhaps, my children will put in the Sunday markets with $1.00 or $2.00 price tags on them, once I'm in the wooden box :cry:

C'mon! What are those eerie thoughts?! I just asked about a set of useless filters :wink: (Always worth to ask!)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:56 am

Hlop wrote:

C'mon! What are those eerie thoughts?! I just asked about a set of useless filters :wink: (Always worth to ask!)

Hilop,
Even useless but it's worth to keep them for members who wish to try them and learned. I never sold anything I bought as toys for myself! sorry my friend!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:06 am

Even useless but it's worth to keep them for members who wish to try them and learned. I never sold anything I bought as toys for myself! sorry my friend!

OK. Here is the point. Probably, now you understand why I want to by some toys for myself. As computers are my job, I'm fed up with them and I want to get picture in the camera and play with photographic effect but not with photoshop! :D
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:20 am

Hlop wrote:

OK. Here is the point. Probably, now you understand why I want to by some toys for myself. As computers are my job, I'm fed up with them and I want to get picture in the camera and play with photographic effect but not with photoshop! :D

Yes, I'm in computer industry too and I'm fed up same as your situation but have to stick to them, the reversed way is not good to my choice, so I accepted and move on. If i'm going back to use my F5 or F90 more often than the DSLR then perhaps I've to re-think but it's unthinkable, and it's my POV.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:48 pm

Hlop wrote:

My suggestion - Use film :wink:

Then you wont really need photshop. :wink:
huynhie

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:29 pm

huynhie wrote:
My suggestion - Use film :wink:

Then you wont really need photshop. :wink:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I dont like to run to extremes! Digital has own advantages and I've never said that I'm refusing PP at all! I prefer to keep it at minimal level to spend less time behind computer. On some images I'm spending more time, on some less but standard workflow should be minimal IMHO. But it should be reasonable minimal - I won't accept catching jpegs and print them of camera or from image viewer. With film you're completely out of printing process control unless you've got own darkroom at home, which is unacceptable in many cases.

And BTW, if you want to publish your pictures you will need scanner and Photoshop :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:44 pm

Hang On! wait for the next generation of "Digi back" both film and digi SLR in one body :roll:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:04 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Hang On! wait for the next generation of "Digi back" both film and digi SLR in one body :roll:

Do you mean shot on film, develop in camera, transfer to digital and print of camera? Polaroid? :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:10 pm

Shoot both in film and digi :lol: shoot film when you want or digi when you're tired of film and perhaps it's full frame :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Equipment Reviews