sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?

Postby haring on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:19 pm

I have a Flashpoint Rovelight 600 monolight. I would like to take it to the beach for engagement photos and wedding photos.
The only problem is that it is a little bit top heavy. The battery is in the head unit itself.
I would like to use the light on a manfrotto light stand and a medium size softbox.

I am just wondering what size of sandbag do I need? What is your recommendation? We often shoot engagement sessions ans wedding portrait sessions on the beach. Wind is an issue.
haring

Re: sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Is it possible for you to have an assistant hold down the lightstand? That's a better guarantee than using a sandbag to weigh the stand down. The other plus is you're not going to be lugging around the 10lb bag just to weigh down the stand.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Return to Equipment Reviews