Fuji X10 versus/and X100?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Fuji X10 versus/and X100?

Postby Reschsmooth on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 am

Realising that the Cambo is not as portable as I would like, we have been looking at the more compact side of things for a while and, with Kogan offer on the X10 looking pretty hard to beat, are down to a choice between the X10 and the X100. I pretty much understand most of the specification differences between the two, but wanted thoughts on how it handles in the field.

I was riding along Epping Road on Friday evening and saw one of the best sunsets I have seen for a long time, cumuls or cumulonimbus clouds lit up a fiery red and only had the iphone camera with me. Thus a compact camera would be ideal.

Assistance appreciated.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: Fuji X10 versus/and X100?

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 am

For me this choice came down to fixed lens versus zoom lens.

I thought that the zoom gave more flexibility so I went with the X10.

There are other points of differentiation, notably sensor size, but I was concerned that a fixed lens might be a little limiting.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Matt. K on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:17 pm

They are such different cameras that it's very difficult to advise. If you just want an all round grab snap camera and you are happy with monitor viewing or no larger than 10 x 8 prints then go for the X10. It's a fun camera. If you want high quality output and are comfortable with a fixed focal length lens the go the X100. Both cameras will take a little getting used to before you start working out the focus and getting it to work your way....but once there both cameras will satisfy.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Murray Foote on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:33 pm

I can't really comment on the choice but I went to New York last year and only took the X100. I found it a really good street camera, I also got some good live music shots in low light and I didn't find the fixed 35mm-equivalent lens a handicap.
Murray Foote

Return to Equipment Reviews