20 [mega]Pixels in my Pocket

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

20 [mega]Pixels in my Pocket

Postby feldy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi guys - some of you may know I try to get a lot of shots from inside cafes, where it's not a cool 'look' to stand [or sit] around with a big dslr, taking shots without asking permission, but where often the best shots are those taken surreptitiously... so although I'm intending to get a D600 sometime, I've been experimenting with cameras that I can take inside a cafe and take a few pics without attracting too much notice....but with enough pixels inside to get the sort of quality i need; I may have found one with the Sony 20 mp 'pocket rocket' RX100.

Bought it on the spur of the moment and on taking it out of the box, have to say that the first thing that impresses is its small size; it really is tiny enough to carry around in a shirt pocket. This is the sort of thing I've been looking for, but until now, I haven't been able to find one with quite enough oommph in the IQ department to stand up to a good high-res. shot at A4. This is where the 20+ Mpixels [hopefully] comes in, at least in theory!

Haven't had a chance to look at some of my first pics on the mac - the one downside of Sony seems to be that it auto-configures your SD card on the first use, so you can only recognise [& download] images on their proprietary software. However, if the shots come up to anything like what you'd expect a 20 Mp camera to be able to produce, I'll be very happy... will report back
feldy

Return to Equipment Reviews