Belkin Digital Camera Link for Ipod

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Belkin Digital Camera Link for Ipod

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:33 pm

Firstly, apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum. Admins please feel free to move it (or trash it if you see fit :P).

Has anyone had any experience or looked at the Belkin Digital Camera Link for the ipod?

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjec ... =T9184LL/A

It seems you can have your photos go directly into the ipod now by using the link and bypassing the CF card altogether. I'm really tempted to get it as it'll be worthwhile for me to use it instead of carrying around multiple cf cards while shooting in raw. I dont' mind having a cord sticking out of my camera and going into my pocket.

Cheers,

Wayne
PiroStitch

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:38 pm

then go out and buy an iPod, and a cable links between the camera and the iPod, is it secure?, convenient while shooting? I don't think so!

Go wireless if you can afford it! :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

iPod

Postby beetleboy on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:43 pm

The only thing I've heard about the Belkin Link is that the transfer is slightly sluggish..other than that i can't help!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:58 pm

Birddog114 wrote:then go out and buy an iPod, and a cable links between the camera and the iPod, is it secure?, convenient while shooting? I don't think so!

Go wireless if you can afford it! :wink:

:) I'm planning to, but haven't seen any reviews :( Was wondering whether anybody had any first hand experience or know anybody who did :)
PiroStitch

Postby cyanide on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:59 pm

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=12871811

EDIT: Whoops, I skim read that a bit fast... sorry - it does d/l RAW....

but I see it doesn't work with 3rd Generation iPods (which is what I have...)
Last edited by cyanide on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rae
All the gear and no idea.
PPOK / Others' pics in my threads OK
cyanide

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:02 pm

Get the device called: Magic Box USB2 OTG is more better solution.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:58 pm

I'd bet that this link would make it actually slower than using a Microdrive... it's essentially the same principle as using the Microdrives, except that you have to factor in the Belkin cable and the probable lack of speed that comes with it.

If you don't mind taking pictures and waiting few a few seconds more than it should normally take for them to save, it's probably worth it. Previewing and reviewing images should probably be avoided on it.

That said (and since I haven't actually tested it anyway), I'd prefer to bring the iPod and several CF cards anyway.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:55 pm

I recently used the other Belkin product, the Media Reader, for 3 weeks while travelling in NZ.
http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjec ... =T7418LL/A

It was a perfect solution for me as:

I already had an iPod
    As we were doing a fair bit of driving, I was taking my iPod anyway, so that we would have music in the car
    My iPod was only half filled, even though it contained my entire music collection

I also have 3 CF cards, so my procedure was to shoot during the day, changing cards as required. At night, after photography was finished for the day, I transferred the images from the cards to the iPod and recharged the iPod & camera batteries. You don't hook this Belkin up to the camera, you insert the CF card into the Media Reader, which has multiple slots for different formats.

The transfer process is slow, so I don't think it is suitable for use in the field, but as I have described it here, it was fine for me.
the foto fanatic

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:22 pm

As mentioned earlier, the cable hooked up to the camera and the iPod for shooting and direct transfer is a joke and from some "Belkin's Experts", I don't see any solution which helps the photogs minimize the use of the CF cards and it's the dream of many people, though link the camera with iPod or any PSD via a physical cable is not an ideal to save your dough in buying more cards.
The solution of wireless is the one to go but ain't cheap or not suitable with the D70.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:35 pm

This forum is great :) Gave me a lot of food for thought especially after what Birddog was saying.

The only reason why I brought this up was because of Nikon Capture Control (can't remember the name :)) and how you can have the photos photographed immediately transferred to the computer, which meant saving space on the CF card :) Then again it wasn't that quick as I had to wait for the transfer to finish....

Will think about it some more :) Then again, with 3 512Mb CF cards I probably wont' really need anymore. Better off sourcing a laptop me thinks :D
PiroStitch

Postby stevew on Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:02 pm

I think you'll find that the Belkin device will not allow direct transfer from the camera to the iPod bypassing the CF Card.

You take a picture (or pictures) and save it to the camera's CF card as per normal. Then you transfer from the CF car to the iPod.

Steve
stevew

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:06 pm

stevew wrote:I think you'll find that the Belkin device will not allow direct transfer from the camera to the iPod bypassing the CF Card.

You take a picture (or pictures) and save it to the camera's CF card as per normal. Then you transfer from the CF car to the iPod.

Steve

stevew,
Thanks for clarify this, that was my thought also, unless the iPod is the new generation of OTG. I don't have the iPod so I can't comment on it but the USB 2.0 OTG does the same job as the iPod, store first in the CF card and down load to the OTG.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby rokkstar on Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:21 pm

I looked at this too because it looked wicked.
I think however that it only works with the iPod Photo. Wont work with music only iPods

Not sure about taht info though so might want to double check it.

Edit: Apologies, that is the WRONG information. I was thinking of the connector that goes directly into the iPod Photo.
rokkstar

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:36 pm

stevew wrote:I think you'll find that the Belkin device will not allow direct transfer from the camera to the iPod bypassing the CF Card.
Steve

This one does transfer direct:

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore?productLearnMore=T9184LL/A

This one transfers from the CF card:

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore?productLearnMore=T7418LL/A
the foto fanatic

Postby beltbuckle on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:19 am

Geez for $110 is this thing really worth it? I got a 4GB microdrive for $150, and I can get 600-700 exposures on it with RAW. Which is quite nice for long trips - that is a TON of pictures for me. I also carry around my older 256mb CF card, just in case.
beltbuckle

Postby stubbsy on Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:29 am

Like cricketfan I have the older Belkin media card reader for my iPod. Got it when I got my iPod about 18 months ago. used it then. Don't use it now since I've not been away long enough to fill my 2Gb and 3 x 1Gb CF cards. If I was away long enough I'd probably use it (since the iPod would be with me), but 2 points about this is that it drains the iPod battery quickly (iPod is NOT designed for constant hard disk access) and (unless you have an iPod photo) you can't see the pics on the iPod.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Equipment Reviews