Epson 3880

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Epson 3880

Postby glamy on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:50 pm

I printed a couple A3+ pictures and I am really impressed :D .
There are numerous reviews on the net so I won't try and write another one. All I can say is that it was very easy to set up, does not take too much room,is light weight, quiet. All good :D
It is good to see my pictures in print. It closes the cycle. I will feel much keener to go out and shoot.
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Re: Epson 3880

Postby Matt. K on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Gerard
A photograph is not a photograph until it is printed on paper. :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby glamy on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Here is a little more of the first impressions and some pictures.
The box the printer comes in is pretty big but still fits easily in the boot of a Commodore and is easily handled by one person.
There is not much in the box: printer, power cord, ink cartridges, manual feed back tray, cd and a quick start guide. There are quite a few bits of sticky tape to remove . The whole thing feels strong enough except for the front door that is rather flimsy.
Setting up is pretty painless except there is no USB cable. The one of my Canon printer was a bit short so I had to buy another one. Installing the cartridges is even easier than on the Canon as there is no plastic bit to remove, just unwrap and put in... The pop up box says it takes 7.5mn to prime the ink, did not seem that long to me.
The preference dialog box is easy to use. I printed the first pics from Photoshop and to my surprise they came out good first time. I selected from the preference menu and colors were just right.
I have not tested to the highest setting yet but even choosing speed and 4 out of 5 for quality the A3+ prints looks very good to me and the time taken would be around a couple minutes or so (I'll time it next time) but in no way is it slow at this setting. It is also quiet. After the photos I printed some text on normal paper, it had to switch black ink cartridges and that took some time. I would not want to switch too often as it sounds expensive...
I attached pictures to show how it integrates with the rest of the desk and one of the dialog box. When printing I just move from my desk, for A4 I do not have to move.
If you want more detailed pictures, let me know.
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Is that dialogue box the default American settings? Here's what I usually set mine to:

Murray Foote

Postby glamy on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Murray Foote wrote:Is that dialogue box the default American settings? Here's what I usually set mine to:

It could be the default settting. I cannot see your image.
glamy

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Gerard

It appears to be default setting because AFAIK Lustre is not available in Australia, sRBG seems like a strange choice for printing and the size is an American paper size.

I'm using media type = Semigloss (could vary); Print quality = Quality (because there seems to be little price in ink or time); Paper Source = Manual-Rear (because I usually print on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk); Size = A4 (will vary) and mode = Custom/ ICM (implies a profiled monitor). In the advanced dialogue for ICM, I have ICM Mode = Host ICM, the rendering intent and my printer profile.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Return to Equipment Reviews