Something different from Canon

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Something different from Canon

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 am

I mentioned in a couple of other posts that Leigh and I met with Canon and their PR last week, and that we had a very fruitful discussion with them. This month's challenge prize is just one of the outcomes from that, as is the 550D that we currently have for testing.

One thing I wasn't aware of is that Canon has, at North Ryde, an R&D lab. I knew that Toshiba has one there, in Macquarie Park (I was working there for a while) and during our chat it transpired that Canon, who are just down the road from Toshiba, also have an R&D facility. The logic is that they want to commit to the country, which I think is great; they're backing up their words with actions, and, of course, serious funding: R&D is not cheap.

So, the question arose as to what do Canon do in their R&D lab? Turns out that much of their work is similar in scope to what Toshiba does - develop the firmware for a number of their products.. But where Toshiba develops the firmware for their multi-function printers, it came as a bit of a surprise to us to learn that Canon's Aussie R&D facility develops the firmware for .... yep ... their cameras. It's not the sole facility for this sort of development, but it's a major one.

The upshot of this is that apart from the inevitable firmware releases and updates, a lot of their development of future models happens here, and that's where this gets interesting: we were invited to have a look at their lab, and to have a play with some of their toys.

Including a variant of a 550D, with some very interesting firmware installed: voice control!

You say "Shoot" and it makes an image. The "Focus" command gets it to acquire focus. "Zoom, Tele", and "Zoom, Wide" ... you get the picture. Pun intended.

To set ISO you say "ISO two hundred", or "ISO Eight Hundred". For aperture mode, "Mode, AV", or "Mode, TV" for shutter speed mode. In Tv mode you could then say "Shutter two hundred" for 1/200, and so on, and in Av mode, "Aperture, five point six"

This actually works quite well - it was no less responsive than the standard 550D that Leigh currently has - and being developed locally, the speech recognition seems to have very few problems with an Aussie accent.

Please remember that this was a very early proof of concept sample that we were playing with, and it left both Leigh and myself somewhat impressed. I'm unconvinced that it's better than the traditional methods of camera use, but I can see how it could be very useful where the camera is being used in a remote(ish) location ... say tucked in a corner of a room, where you want the camera to be operated in a semi-autonomous mode.

I just thought y'all might like to know of this, and Canon did ask me to ask you what you thought about the concept. Would you find this facility useful? Are the commands and the command format reasonable?

Would you see yourself maybe using such a camera?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Something different from Canon

Postby Big V on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:11 am

Interesting times and good on them for at least trying new ideas. These type of features will be readily accepted by the younger generation as they are so used to voice dialling etc on their mobile phones. Myself, like you, too used to doing things the old way and as such am so quick on the draw could not be bothered talking to the camera - especially when others would think I am as mad as a hatter for talking to my camera. My mark 3 has the voice record function for tagging photos after you have taken it and I have never used that function. A lot of the time I enjoy being at one with the camera and to spoil that moment by using a voice command is not going to happen, the other times I have the headphones in with the tunes blaring - go figure...
Canon
Big V

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:35 am

Big V wrote:These type of features will be readily accepted by the younger generation as they are so used to voice dialling etc on their mobile phones.

Good point.

My mark 3 has the voice record function for tagging photos after you have taken it and I have never used that function.

Voice tagging has been around for quite some time, and it predates DSLRs even.

A lot of the time I enjoy being at one with the camera and to spoil that moment by using a voice command is not going to happen.

I certainly can't envisage using this facility in, say, a church at a wedding, but in a studio setting,or perhaps at a reception where the camera is sitting in a corner, you might be able to rab some interesting candids.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

I can see, in 12 months from now, looking back on today and realising the significance of this announcement. Sometimes the subtle things are most important. :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 am

No way Jose :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby phillipb on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:23 am

I predict that this innovation will be very very very short lived. :wink:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby dviv on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 am

I like it :mrgreen:

I can see it being useful for some of the more difficult changes (eg ISO, or maybe focus/Metering modes) where it would be quicker than hitting the buttons and scrolling through the modes.

I don't think I'd use it for the major functions (shutter speed/Aperture) but it could be a useful add-on.

Also - it would be useful to turn on the light on the LCD when you can't find the button in the dark :mrgreen:
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby TC on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:35 am

no way..I would look stupid spitting at the camera.
TC

Postby rflower on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 am

you would just have to watch what you say and when ....

When talking to a client after a photo shoot
"So what format would you like your photos delivered in?"

And when you look back at the display ...
Card successfully formatted. Folder contains 0 items "Ohhh Shit!!!!" says the photographer.

:biglaugh:

:chook:
It would have to be a Canon initiave though ...
Nikon wouldn't be caught with something silly that might catch users out.
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Postby Ant on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:09 am

Not sure how useful this would really be in a reception unless you are the only one talking... Tucking the camera away in a corner and then standing there with your head 2cm's away from the camera may be a little embarassing! (the only person who would talk to me in the whole reception was my damn camera ;))
D90 | D50 | Tamron 17-50 2.8| AF-S 18-55 DX (and VR) | Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG | 50mm 1.8 | SB-600
Ant

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 am

Ant wrote:Tucking the camera away in a corner and then standing there with your head 2cm's away from the camera may be a little embarassing! (the only person who would talk to me in the whole reception was my damn camera ;))

Did I mention that this works with Bluetooth?

With the little Plantronics 975 earset, it was very usable over distance of several feet.

But otherwise, yes, your point is well made.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 pm

It's 12.00 noon Gary, time to come clean. :D

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:09 pm

phillipb wrote:It's 12.00 noon Gary, time to come clean. :D

Me ???

What are you suggesting, Phillip? :)

Actually, there's a fair bit of that original post that's true. For instance, the first two paras are 100% factual. I think they are. At least, that's my recollection of some of what we discussed at the meeting.

Did I mention that the voice module was solar powered?

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 pm

phillipb wrote:It's 12.00 noon Gary, time to come clean. :D

Hehe
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:14 pm

gstark wrote:
Ant wrote:Tucking the camera away in a corner and then standing there with your head 2cm's away from the camera may be a little embarassing! (the only person who would talk to me in the whole reception was my damn camera ;))

Did I mention that this works with Bluetooth?

With the little Plantronics 975 earset, it was very usable over distance of several feet.

But otherwise, yes, your point is well made.

FWIW, there's a new JVC camcorder with Bluetooth connectivity. You can record sound, and control the camera from your mobile phone or other bt device.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kiwi on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Not new, Nikon's been doing voice control for years. I constanly scream at my D3 and it usually does what I ask :biglaugh:
Darren
Nikon D3 and Nikon Glass
kiwi

Postby phillipb on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Can you imagine the fun you could have in a media scrum at your competitor's expence? set their focus to macro, shutterspeed to 30 sec aperture wide open while you get the photo with your trusty D70. :P

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby surenj on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:38 pm

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:27 pm

rflower wrote:you would just have to watch what you say and when ....

When talking to a client after a photo shoot
"So what format would you like your photos delivered in?"

And when you look back at the display ...
Card successfully formatted. Folder contains 0 items "Ohhh Shit!!!!" says the photographer.

:biglaugh:

:chook:
It would have to be a Canon initiave though ...
Nikon wouldn't be caught with something silly that might catch users out.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :cheers:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby aim54x on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 pm

phillipb wrote:Can you imagine the fun you could have in a media scrum at your competitor's expence? set their focus to macro, shutterspeed to 30 sec aperture wide open while you get the photo with your trusty D70. :P

:twisted: :twisted:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Equipment Reviews