[Review]Nikon DR-5 Right Angle Finder on my D70

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

[Review]Nikon DR-5 Right Angle Finder on my D70

Postby theK on Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:07 am

I'd like to share my experience of using a Nikon DR-5 Right Angle Finder (RAF) on my D70.

Personal reasons of using one: I'm often disappointed with the accuracy of the Auto Focus on cameras. Several important shots have been lost due to AF inaccuracy. I ended up wanting to manually adjust the focus after AF is locked. The small viewfinder of the D70 is not helping me achieve this. I get dizzy if I spend too much time looking through the D70 viewfinder, since the eye that I use to take pictures take some time to synchronise back with the other one.

For those of you that are not familiar with Nikon current RAF offerings, there are DR-5 and DR-6 (both have 1x and 2x magnification). The DR-5 is especially made for Nikon cameras that have circular (screw-in) viewfinders such as the D1H, D2H and D2X, whereas the DR-6 is for the ones with rectangular (slip-on) viewfinders such as the D70 and the D100. They fit Nikon SLRs as well, but I'm not gonna list them here since the info is available elsewhere.

I chose the DR-5 since it can be used on my D70 with a Nikon Eyepiece Adapter (Manufacturer #2370), and because I'm planning to purchase a Nikon cameras with circular viewfinder in the future. The prices of DR-6 and DR-5 are the same on eBay.

According to the DR-5 manual, if we use the DR-5 at 2x magnification, the image will severely cropped. It claims that the viewfinder data such as the aperture, shutter speed, etc., won't be visible at 2x. (But read the bottom section of this post to see my personal findings and comment on this issue).

Benefits of using a Right Angle Finder (for me)
    - Easier to focus manually
    - More comfortable doing street photography, IMO, since there is no eye-contact with subjects, especially when using wide to normal length primes and when you have to be close to subjects. Your subjects will think twice before yelling at you, since they are not sure whether you are taking a picture or fiddling with your camera settings...hehehe
    - Easier to do Macro-photography
    - Easier to shoot at lower angles

Using DR-5 on D70 at 2x
I found that at 2x, the part of the viewfinder that is cropped out is very insignificant. I think it's because the viewpoint circumference of the DR-5 is 22mm, way bigger than the D70 at 18mm. As an illustration (not scaled):

Only the following indicators are cropped out:
- Focus lock indicator
- Part of Metering-type indicator
- Part of Frame-count
- Must-use-Flash indicator

Only a small part of the bottom corners are cropped out. The top corners are not. It's such a joy to use the D70 through the DR-5 at 2x magnification.
---

As a conclusion, I'd say that the DR-5 is a very useful accessory to use on my D70. I can't wait to use it more often in street photography. I'll post pics of the setup soon.
Last edited by theK on Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theK

Postby xerubus on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:19 am

great review theK... thanks for taking the time...

look forward to seeing the setup shots.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby birddog114 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:33 am

I have the DR-5 and used it but did not like it very much in comparison with the Canon Angle Finder C w/ E-d-c & Ec-c which I have also same as sirhc55. The Canon provide higher ratio of magnify than the Nikon and come with all adpater for rectangular or circular viewfinder, price is the same and more flexibility than the Nikon DR5/ DR6.
We did test these: DR5/DR6 & Canon Angle Viewfinder and most members who were using them at the mini-meet agreed the Canon is the one to go.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby theK on Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:07 am

Birddog114 wrote:I have the DR-5 and used it but did not like it very much in comparison with the Canon Angle Finder C w/ E-d-c & Ec-c which I have also same as sirhc55. The Canon provide higher ratio of magnify than the Nikon and come with all adpater for rectangular or circular viewfinder, price is the same and more flexibility than the Nikon DR5/ DR6.
We did test these: DR5/DR6 & Canon Angle Viewfinder and most members who were using them at the mini-meet agreed the Canon is the one to go.

Thanks for the info. How is the DR-6 at 2x, used on D70? Is more part of the viewfinder cropped out?

How about the Canon Angle Finder C? Can you use it on a D2H? CMIIW, from the Canon Finder's specification (on B&H) & users' review, I think it'll only fit the D70/D100 (via E-d-c/Ec-c). I understand that it's 2.5x magnification, but how much of the viewfinder is cropped out? Is it like the DR-5 on a D70 (i.e. I can use it at 2x often since only insignificant part is cropped out?)

Thanks.
theK

Postby birddog114 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:38 am

No, you can't use the Canon on on the D2h & D2x, and it's similar to the the DR-5 on a D70 for the cropped out.
The DR-5 can be used with the F5, D1x, D2h or D2x.
The DR-6 can be used with the D2h or x with an adapter ring
It's 2.5x magnification and you can use it at 2.5x on the D70 or D100.
The DR-6 is desgined for the Nikon camera with rectangular viewfinder, allows you to set the reproduction ratio to either 1:1 or 1:2.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby theK on Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:07 am

My conclusion is then, for a Nikon user who doesn't have much cash to burn, and wants to buy only one right angle finder, and be able to use them on both circular and rectangular viewfinder, the DR-5 is the right choice.

For D70/D100 users, I still think that the DR-5 is a very good setup, since you can leave it at 2x, whereas the Canon one at 2.5x will crop much more part of the viewfinder (CMIIW), since it's viewpoint circumference is only 19.5cm (c.f. DR-5 22mm).
theK

Postby birddog114 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:41 am

theK wrote:My conclusion is then, for a Nikon user who doesn't have much cash to burn, and wants to buy only one right angle finder, and be able to use them on both circular and rectangular viewfinder, the DR-5 is the right choice.

For D70/D100 users, I still think that the DR-5 is a very good setup, since you can leave it at 2x, whereas the Canon one at 2.5x will crop much more part of the viewfinder (CMIIW), since it's viewpoint circumference is only 19.5cm (c.f. DR-5 22mm).

The Canon can be adjusted from 1.25x to 2.5x, while the DR5/6 only up to 2.0x. You can use the Canon at 2.0x as the Nikon, extra step is extra benefit if required.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby theK on Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:09 am

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that we can use the Canon angle finder C at 1.25x, 2.5x, and any magnification in between those two (e.g 1.5x, 2.0x, etc.)? If yes, that means the way they construct it is similar to a zoom lens (where the loupe moves back and forth).
theK

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:46 am

theK wrote:Let me get this straight. Are you saying that we can use the Canon angle finder C at 1.25x, 2.5x, and any magnification in between those two (e.g 1.5x, 2.0x, etc.)? If yes, that means the way they construct it is similar to a zoom lens (where the loupe moves back and forth).

The Canon Angle Finder C is similar to the DR5/ DR6 with the lever can be switch at 1.25x or 2.5x, while the Nikon has 1x and 2x
In macro shooting they are difference at those variation 0.25x and 0.5x. in your viewfinder. BTW, to answer your post I have in front of me 3 Angle Finders
Nikon DR5/ DR6 and Canon Finder C.

The Canon Angle C can be used with the D2 series or Nikon camera w/ circular viewfinder with a third party adapter which I found one of the store they sell them in the US once I was there early last year but I did not get it cos I have the other two Nikon finders already.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby theK on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info, Birddog. Just as I expected, then...Either 1.25x or 2.5x.
theK

Postby theK on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Birddog, you wouldn't happen to remember the brand of that adapter (or the US store that sells them) that allows the use of the Canon Angle Finder C on a D2/D1 series cameras, would you?
theK

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:45 pm

More comfortable doing street photography, IMO, since there is no eye-contact with subjects, especially when using wide to normal length primes and when you have to be close to subjects. Your subjects will think twice before yelling at you, since they are not sure whether you are taking a picture or fiddling with your camera settings...hehehe

This is an interesting point. When you raise your camera to your face to take a picture of someone-particularly a stranger-it is an inherently aggressive gesture that generally results in awkwardness/irritation. Direct eye contact between strangers is already conflicting, put a camera to your eye and it magnifies the conflict somewhat. That's why when you do it to someone you know it isn't as big a deal as to a total stranger. I read about a street photographer who uses the angle finders as is much more pleasant to the subject. I wonder how Diane Arbus got such natural poses and expressions? As well as many other pros that seem to illicit such natural responses. I think the angle finder is a part of the solution perhaps.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 pm

theK wrote:Birddog, you wouldn't happen to remember the brand of that adapter (or the US store that sells them) that allows the use of the Canon Angle Finder C on a D2/D1 series cameras, would you?

No! sorry not now! Once I back home in June, I might grab one to see how does it work on my D2 cameras
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby theK on Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:30 pm

dooda, that's a very thorough analysis of why I use the angle finder for street photography. Spot on. :D

It is just one solution, I guess.

There are those who believe that it's more appropriate to ask permissions first. You can start by having a chat with them. But people will be aware that you're about to take pictures of them, and 9 out of 10 (just my estimation) people will start posing. This strategy is ok if you want them posing.

There are also those who suggest that it's better to blend into the environment by taking a few test pics and fiddling with your camera for a while, before starting to take the frames that you're after. Their reasoning is that after a while, people will get used to your presence and carry on with their routine.

I don't think there is one strategy that is best out of those three. It's up to us to choose which strategy is best for a particular environment. PS: There are also those who use tele lenses for street photography. While it may eliminate the possibility of you getting yelled at, I personally prefer shots that include the environment using wide-to-normal focal length. But teles are good for body shots, particularly if the subject strongly symbolises the environment that you're trying to capture.
theK

DR-5

Postby haze on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:09 am

hi all

ive been considering on getting the DR-5 for my d70 camera as well but havent taken the plunge due to the price. for the members who already have this eyepiece, are you able to use it while taking portrait shots? or is this eyepiece only effective for taking landscape photos?

thanks!
haze

Re: DR-5

Postby birddog114 on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:18 am

haze wrote:hi all

ive been considering on getting the DR-5 for my d70 camera as well but havent taken the plunge due to the price. for the members who already have this eyepiece, are you able to use it while taking portrait shots? or is this eyepiece only effective for taking landscape photos?

thanks!

This piece of Angle viewfinder can be used for many purposes, not only used for landscape.
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Equipment Reviews