QUESTION: Lithium ion battery packs

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

QUESTION: Lithium ion battery packs

Postby flipfrog on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:41 am

i want a back up battery and i am just curious if you guys have gone with the generic brands for your back up or sticking with the Nikon brand battery.... ?
price difference is anywhere from 30-40 CAN dollars...
also, anyone know what the life span of this battery is?

thanks in advance,
Dee
flipfrog

Postby Paul on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:01 am

Hi Flipfrog,
I bought my 2nd generic EN-EL3 battery from e-bay for $20 AUS Dollers, It worked perfectly well at an all day wedding last weekend, I did manage to drain the battery, this was proberly due to me using the 24-120 VR for most of the day and firing the SB-800 flash during the night reception.
I would say that it's charge life is about the same as the original which is exceptional.
Overall well worth buying as it's still cheaper than buying 3 CR-2 batteries for the second battery that Nikon supplies with the D70. (3 x $13 = $39 for 1 use batteries)
Just my 2 cents worth
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby stubbsy on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:25 am

Flipfrog

I bought 2 generics. They work identically to the Nikon one, but at a quarter the price!
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:20 pm

I do recall at the last Sydney xmas meet. Geoff and I were the unofficial event photogs. We both took probably similar amounts of images, but Geoff's Cameron was running on generics and I had geniune EN-EL3s in mine (unnamed D70). Cameron had ran outta juice close to the end of the night, while mine didn't. The generic had a higher rated capacity too IIRC.

Generics probably represent better value as they're a third to half the price of the originals, but when you want the absolute best - there's no doubt.

Given the exceptional energy efficiency of the D70, I suspect it's very difficult to tell even when a cell's capacity and/or performance has degraded. eg. 2000 shots per charge when new versus 1200 shots per charge when the cells have aged slightly, that's still alot of shots per charge!!
Onyx

Postby flipfrog on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:09 pm

thanks guys

i bought a generic one today :)
flipfrog

Postby boxerboy on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:53 pm

My only concern with generic batteries is that their quality is unknown. It may be some of these come out of the same factories as the genuine batteries and could even be identical to the Nikon items. But how do you know?

Low quality batteries (I'm not saying all generics are low quality - but once again, how do you know?) are more prone to over heating and possibly leakage.

I think you would struggle with a warranty claim if there was ever a problem. At least if you use the Nikon battery, there can be no chance of a warranty claim being rejected.

I just don't think the few dollars you save is worth the risk (however low that may be).

Cheers
Peter
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:03 pm

boxerboy,
Spot on! that was happened twice seeing by my eyes and Maxwell refused with the battery leakage inside the D70 compartment due to the use of non genuine Nikon battery :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby marcus on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:31 pm

Yep, I too have a generic ($12.00 eBay purchase) and so far it works as well as the one that came with my camera............fingers crossed!
I know nutzinc
marcus

Postby Matt. K on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:40 pm

I have both a generic brand and the original and have been swapping them around for nearly 12 months. I can never tell which is which as there is no difference in their performance.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Mal on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 pm

One each for me, fingers crossed too no leakage... :?
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby Sean on Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:35 pm

I have one of each and no probs with them either, I did notice the generic one had slightly less millamps I think?

Also handle anything containing lithium with great care
http://www.excellbattery.com/msds/CSC_PMX%20MSDS.pdf

Regards

Sean :D
"The more I learn, the less I realise I know"
Sean

Postby marcus on Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:59 pm

Birddog114 wrote:boxerboy,
Spot on! that was happened twice seeing by my eyes and Maxwell refused with the battery leakage inside the D70 compartment due to the use of non genuine Nikon battery :wink:

Do you know of any complaints of leakage from the genuine article?

ps My ASF 70-200VR still moves 1-2mm in the fitting. Genuine article.
I know nutzinc
marcus

Return to Equipment Reviews