Pop-up Flash Diffuser

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Pop-up Flash Diffuser

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Gary was very kind to some of us at the dinner and handed out presents. I received a Phottix Pop-up Flash Diffuser. (Actually is it 3 diffusers, one white, one orange and one blue, plus a bracket that sits in the hot-shoe and holds the diffuser in place). It even came with a "Sony Adapter". :lol:

I took a couple of test shots this morning to see if it would work for macro and it looks like it could be quite handy. All the shots are at 1:1, 1/200s, f/16 with my 60mm f/2.8D on my D300 at ISO 200.

Here's a shot with just the bare pop-up flash:

Here's the same subject but using the pop-up flash diffuser:

For a comparison, I took a couple of shots using my DIY soft boxes (1 and 3):

In my opinion, the little flash diffuser does a pretty good job of softening the light, at least for macro work. Looks like a slight adjustment may be required for white balance. I took all the shots with white balance set to Sunlight.

For some reason the shot with the diffuser on the pop-up flash was a little on the dark side (about 1 stop under). Perhaps f/16 was too small, although the camera did not indicate that there was insufficient "power" from the flash.
ATJ

Re: Pop-up Flash Diffuser

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 pm

ATJ wrote: I took all the shots with white balance set to Sunlight.

Each of the diffusers in use will affect your WB, due to their own individual characteristics. it's not a problem, but just an issue of learning what those characteristics might be, and adjusting your settings accordingly.

For some reason the shot with the diffuser on the pop-up flash was a little on the dark side (about 1 stop under).

Which sounds about right to me. Any diffuser will interfere with and reduce the light output from a light source. Often there's enough residual power in the flash head to compensate and adjust for this through the TTL and AE of the camera and flash combo, but it one is shooting close to the maximum power output already, then this may become an issue.

Again, I don't view this as a problem, but more of a learning issue as is the case with any new equipment that you come to acquire.

Of course, Andrew, I'm pretty sure that you're well aware of all of this, but I thought I'd mention this for the benefit of the younger, less experienced players amongst us. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:39 pm

gstark wrote:
For some reason the shot with the diffuser on the pop-up flash was a little on the dark side (about 1 stop under).

Which sounds about right to me. Any diffuser will interfere with and reduce the light output from a light source. Often there's enough residual power in the flash head to compensate and adjust for this through the TTL and AE of the camera and flash combo, but it one is shooting close to the maximum power output already, then this may become an issue.

Sorry, what I meant here was that as I was shooting iTTL, I thought the camera would indicate if there was insufficient power, as it does with an SB-800, by flashing the flash indicator in the viewfinder. It appears it does not. Anyway, f/16 is too small for the diffuser for 1:1. I got better results at f/11 and f/8.

Yes, you will lose light output for two main reasons. 1) the light is being spread over a larger area and 2) the diffuser itself will absorb some light.
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 pm

ATJ

Postby colin_12 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 pm

I should have read this post first Andrew.
I am glad that you found this new kit to your liking. :up:
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby surenj on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:44 pm

I can see that there is a subtle but siginificant difference between bare and diffused. But the question is, being the advanced shooter you are, would you use it routinely? [perhaps when you want to travel light?]
surenj

Postby biggerry on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:24 pm

top stuff Andrew, that just saved me and probably a whole stack of people, an hour in doing the comparison.. :up:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby ATJ on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:15 am

surenj wrote:I can see that there is a subtle but siginificant difference between bare and diffused. But the question is, being the advanced shooter you are, would you use it routinely? [perhaps when you want to travel light?]

I would probably use it if I was in a hurry - it is a little faster to deploy - but doesn't give me the same flexibility on f/stop. I could only use f/16 for light subjects with it. With the SB-800 and my soft boxes I can use f/22 and even smaller for most subjects.

I think the pop-up diffuser may be useful for people who don't yet have a separate flash and want to try their hand at macro. It is a handy piece of kit.
ATJ

Postby big pix on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:15 am

........ nice samples

any chance of some product shots of the diffuser
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:37 pm

big pix wrote:any chance of some product shots of the diffuser

Here you go:

ATJ

Postby chasem on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:26 am

Wow, they look really handy i might have to ge one. i use a tissue and a rubberband and it is very un-professional.
chasem

Postby ATJ on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:34 pm

chasem wrote:i use a tissue and a rubberband and it is very un-professional.

A tissue and a rubber band won't really do the same job as this device. A tissue will diffuse the light to some extent but won't make the light source larger which is what you really need soften the light. With this pop-up flash diffuser, not only is the light source effectively larger, but it also moves it closer to the subject making it even larger, relative to the subject.
ATJ

Postby big pix on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 pm

looks like a must have piece of kit....... thanks AJ
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby SuperJT on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:49 pm

How much does one of these go for ?
Canon 50D - EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS - EF 100-400 L - EF 50 f1.8
SuperJT

Postby ATJ on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:15 pm

SuperJT wrote:How much does one of these go for ?

That's probably a question for Gary.

Mine was free, but it is marked "AU$20". I'm not sure if that was the PMA price or it's what Poon will sell them for. They aren't listed on his eBay site.

I guess you could buy the "original" for $37.00+$10 shipping.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:24 pm

$20 is the number, plus shipping.

As you're Sydney based, there's probably something we can do in terms of catching up somewhere.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby big pix on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:46 pm

...... maybe a bulk buy :mrgreen:
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby SuperJT on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:18 pm

I've gotta stop buying stuff and get a damn job first :(
Canon 50D - EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS - EF 100-400 L - EF 50 f1.8
SuperJT

Return to Equipment Reviews