Medion Graphics Tablet

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Medion Graphics Tablet

Postby radar on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi,

here we go again, a review of an Aldi product :D

At the recent PMA, I was eyeing the new Wacom Intuos4 Tablets but my wallet didn't like them. Given that I hadn't used one previously, I was reluctant to spend that kind of money. Aldi to the rescue: they have 12x9 tablet that they sell for $79. Sure it isn't a Wacom Intuos but the price is also a lot less.

I got one and found that it doesn't have Mac drivers, only XP and Vista. It is a rebadged tablet and Adesso have the same one so I downloaded the drivers from:
http://www.adesso.com/tablet_drivers.asp

There you go, got the tablet working on my Mac OS X 10.5.7. It has a nice little application to customise the various touch-keys on the tablet.

Seems to work fine so far. There are also a number of applications for Windows, I may use those when I run Parallels on my Mac.

Next I'll try it out with Capture NX2 and Photoshop.

Just a quick review in case some of you may want to get one at Aldi. Not sure until when they will have them on sale for.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Re: Medion Graphics Tablet

Postby photoaffinity on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:07 pm

fantastic, i bought one of these when it first came out in 2004(ish), and it lasted me ages until i lost it in a box of stuff during a move.

i will go pick up one this afternoon.

thanks! :up:
photoaffinity

Postby surenj on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:53 pm

That is really cheap! Does it have pressure effects?

I thought my Wacom Bamboo 6X8 [highly recommended by the way] was cheap at $250 odd...
surenj

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up Radar! :up:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby radar on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 pm

surenj wrote:That is really cheap! Does it have pressure effects?

I'm new to this but the specs say that it has "Pen Pressure: 1024 levels"

HTH, André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby lightning on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:15 pm

In Aldi @ southland (Melbourne) today they had them for $79 !!

I'm running tiger 10.4.11 on an imac hoping it will work

I think from a forum some time ago people were saying a downside was batteries in the pen, that was about a year ago maybe it's changed ??
1 shot out of focus is a mistake, 10 shots out of focus is an experiment,
100 shots out of focus is a style!, anonymous.
lightning

Postby photograham on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:22 pm

I have also just bought one and hope to install it and try this weekend. An acquintance in another camera club bought one a good couple of years ago and thought it was OK.
It's really a cheap price to try something new and see if it is workable with what I do.
photograham

Postby spoken4 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 pm

What a great heads up! I bought one from Aldi about 2 years ago for my Lin/Win box and had not really investigated it for my new iMac.
Wrapped to get it working with the suggested drivers. Thanks heaps! :D
spoken4

Postby aswcheng on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:33 pm

If it's the Medion P82012 "Design USB Graphics Pad" we are talking about here, they are selling it for $59 at the moment (not sure when the sale ends though). The ads did say the original price is $79.

Cheers.

Edit : I'm surprised that Ubuntu 9.04 (Linux) actually work with this tablet out of the box without the need for any drivers.
Last edited by aswcheng on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aswcheng

Postby SuperJT on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 pm

aswcheng wrote:If it's the Medion P82012 "Design USB Graphics Pad" we are talking about here, they are selling it for $59 at the moment (not surer when the sale ends though). The ads did say the original price is $79.
Cheers.
Indeed. The back page of the current catalogue has it as a "Clearance Item" so the price has dropped to $59. I just picked one up from Aldi at Strathfield (Meadowbank were out).
Canon 50D - EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS - EF 100-400 L - EF 50 f1.8
SuperJT

Postby lightning on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:18 pm

so Radar now that you have been using it for a couple of weeks what do you think ?? thumbs up or down ?
1 shot out of focus is a mistake, 10 shots out of focus is an experiment,
100 shots out of focus is a style!, anonymous.
lightning

Postby SuperJT on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:23 pm

My 6 year old is using it right now with a paint program and is having an absolute blast.

I've tried it with Photoshop and it works very well. I think achieving proficiency is a different issue. Obviously doing stuff with a keyboard and mouse is completely different so getting used to this is hard.

I'm guessing that having some drawing talent (which I do not have) would help. But overall, for $59 I'm not going to complain - I think it's excellent for a beginner who wants to experiment and give this a try.
Canon 50D - EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS - EF 100-400 L - EF 50 f1.8
SuperJT

Postby aswcheng on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 pm

SuperJT wrote:Obviously doing stuff with a keyboard and mouse is completely different so getting used to this is hard.

I agree, it takes a while to get used to a tablet. And while this particular one doesn't seem to be of the same quality as the professional tablets, it's a great starter at $59. If only I have some talent as an artist.. 8-))

Cheers.
aswcheng

Return to Equipment Reviews