Travel Vest - read Photo Vest without dorky look

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Travel Vest - read Photo Vest without dorky look

Postby radar on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:33 pm

I recently got a ScotteVest Travel Vest. I've been worried with having to check-in my camera bag when flying. I have been reading reports from various photographers having to weigh their carry-on camera bag prior to checking in or at the gate. Last thing I want is a baggage handler throwing my camera gear around!

I've looked at the Domke photo vests and a few others but never really liked them. It's like wearing a big flashing light "I've got lots of camera gear". I wanted to get something that was practical yet stylish and that I could wear at anytime. The ScotteVest Travel Vest fits the bill for me. I've put a review on my blog for those interested in finding out a bit more on the subject: Travelling With Camera Gear

Hope you find it useful,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Re: Travel Vest - read Photo Vest without dorky look

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Looks great, your right it doesn't scream photographer like so many other vests. And I read you blog 4kgs of lenses is impressive with pockets to spare. What about using it instead of a backpack for a Ferry Hop or something like that would it work if you were travelling relatively light (lens wise).
Alpha_7

Postby radar on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Craig,

Alpha_7 wrote:What about using it instead of a backpack for a Ferry Hop or something like that would it work if you were travelling relatively light (lens wise).

Would work great for that too, it is very comfortable. Only thing is if it is pretty hot, I would recommend having the light coloured one. It even has a large back pocket where you can easily fit something like a camelbak reservoir for water. One of the pockets also has a spot specifically for a water bottle.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby DebT on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Great find , Totally agree nothing worth than travelling with a big 'come and rob me' label showing or the 'look at the jerk shirt'
- so do we get to see a photo of you modelling ??
one quick question about size ...did you buy the size you are ..or larger to allow for the goodies ?
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby radar on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:20 pm

DebT wrote:- so do we get to see a photo of you modelling ??

You are better off watching the videos on the ScotteVest website :D

one quick question about size ...did you buy the size you are ..or larger to allow for the goodies ?
DebT

It usually depends on the cut of the garment, sometimes I take a medium, sometimes large. I would have fit in medium but went for the large, that way, I can also have a jumper on as well as all the goodies. Even with empty pockets, the vest fits very nicely.

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby surenj on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Can't believe you his a 70-200 2.8 in a vest without having a 'bulge' that looks like you are hiding a mortar :mrgreen:

Seriously this is a nice find. This would have been useful on vividlight walk when were running around the dark trying to shoot things (and people).

I wonder whether there are any retailers in Sydney so I can try this on....
surenj

Postby muzz on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Definitely a great vest. What did they charge for postage? Had you considered the one with the zip-off arms? - couldn't tell easily how different it was apart from that feature.

Couldn't see any options for purchasing other than the website, which could mean another $40 postage on top. Could be worth a bulk order although that's likely to attract the attention of the customs/duties variety.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby Frankenstein on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:22 pm

I also went to the Scottevest website to look at this vest after reading about it on David duChemin's blog (and coincidently, I received my copy of his book, Within the Frame, this afternoon and am looking forward to reading it). It certainly looks like a great way to easily carry gear while travelling. On a much smaller scale, on my trip to Morocco this year I wore travel pants with lots of pockets, and I found it great to shove an extra lens, CF cards etc into the pockets, rather than continually opening my camera bag. The Scottevest looks like it takes this to the next level, and your positive review makes me very tempted to get one, certainly before I travel again.

Thanks for the info Radar - very useful.

Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby aim54x on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Looks interesting, they certainly ditch the daggy photorapher look (ie Lowepro S&F!!)

How did you manage to get a 70-200mm f/2.8 in there??
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby radar on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:18 pm

surenj, as muzz said, I don't think they have retail outlets, they just sell via their website. I was pleasantly surprised how well the 70-200 did fit in. As mentioned, just don't put the big hood in the vest, makes it more slim.

muzz, shipping was $36.20. I did manage to find a discount code for them that gave me $20 off, all up, it was $116.20 delivered to my door. They ship via USPS if you want to, cheaper then using FedEx or UPS.

Frank, my copy of his book should be here later this week, looking forward to it. I certainly am going to enjoy using the vest on my travels.

cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby radar on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 pm

aim54x wrote:How did you manage to get a 70-200mm f/2.8 in there??

Easily actually, once you take the lens hood off, it fits in nicely in the front pocket, which basically runs the whole front of the jacket. It would also fit in the inside pocket with the hood on since the pocket opening for that one is much larger.

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby gummi on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Great post & review Andre - it has seriously made me want to get one too. Aaaaah so many things to buy, so little money! :lol:
Val
Nikon D300
gummi

Postby ozimax on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Seems like a good inVESTment Andre. I had a look through their site, which is very good.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby surenj on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:21 pm

ozimax wrote: good inVESTment

:D
surenj

Postby Photopotamus on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Won't it be dorky if we're all wearing one? :wink:
Canon 450D/ 18-55 IS "Kit Lens" / 55-250 IS "Kit Lens 2" / 17-85 EF-S / Nifty 50 II

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Photopotamus

Postby Glen on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:43 am

Andre, thanks for the great review of a good looking vest, easily the best I have seen
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby tntman on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:07 am

Imagine we all wore one to PMA? hahaha...

Thanks for the great review Andre!

Will these be displayed at PMA? Is there a local distributor in Aus?
Current Gear - 1D MKIII body, 5D MKII body, 17-40mm F4 L, Canon 70-200 IS F2.8, Sigma 120-400 OC HSM, 580EXII, 430EX II, 430EX. Panasonic G1 twin lens kit (My fav digicam!)
tntman

Postby aim54x on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:45 am

Photopotamus wrote:Won't it be dorky if we're all wearing one? :wink:

good point! :cheers: at least I was not considering getting one...
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby DanielA on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi André,
radar wrote:Only thing is if it is pretty hot, I would recommend having the light coloured one.

Did you look at the Tropical Jacket/Vest? He seems to be positioning it as the light weight travel vest version. Just wondering if you ruled it out for some reason.
Thanks

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby radar on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:26 pm

DanielA wrote:Hi André,
He seems to be positioning it as the light weight travel vest version. Just wondering if you ruled it out for some reason.

I did rule it out in terms of wanting the few extra pockets (4) that the Travel vest gives me. Having had it for a week or so, I think for me, it was the right one to get, maybe if I was in Darwin/Cairns the lightweight wind jacket would be better but probably a matter of preference. I also like the fact that the Travel Vest is mostly cotton.

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby DanielA on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 pm

radar wrote:
DanielA wrote:He seems to be positioning it as the light weight travel vest version. Just wondering if you ruled it out for some reason.

I did rule it out in terms of wanting the few extra pockets (4) that the Travel vest gives me. Having had it for a week or so, I think for me, it was the right one to get, maybe if I was in Darwin/Cairns the lightweight wind jacket would be better but probably a matter of preference. I also like the fact that the Travel Vest is mostly cotton.

Thanks. I'm trying to work out which might be best for me, and it's a tricky decision. :?

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby lightning on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:08 am

I see they have the older style vest on run out for $40 atm
1 shot out of focus is a mistake, 10 shots out of focus is an experiment,
100 shots out of focus is a style!, anonymous.
lightning

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Digging up an old thread, but Andre how are you finding travelling with the vest ? Any issues or insights for those considering a similar purchase ?
Alpha_7

Postby radar on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:10 am

Craig,

the vest is still on my highly recommended list :D After using it on my extended trip and a few times since, it is well worth it for travel. One time during my long trip, I did have to lighten up my camera backpack and putting a few lenses in my vest pockets made the difference.

I also find that even after washing it a few times, it still retains its shape and good looks. The beige colour that I got probably shows the dirt a bit more but travelling in warm climates, I don't like the idea of wearing a black one but others do like the black.

I also found that if it's a bit cold, it is also a nice extra layer to have on and keep things like filters, cable release, spare batteries. For example, I had the vest and then a gore-tex jacket on top to cut the wind.

HTH,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Killakoala on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:13 pm

I bought one at the start of summer but as luck would have it, it's been too hot to wear it so far. I'm looking forward to winter so I can give it a good workout. I might have to wait until I return to Tassie (permanently) in August, at this rate. Does summer ever end in NSW???? :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Killakoala wrote: Does summer ever end in NSW???? :)

Steve, yes.

At the Murray River. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Too funny: I've been writing about these in the Antarctica briefing document (which I'm hoping will be distributed mid-week). :)

I use a Domke vest for travelling, although I've been eyeing off a Scottevest. Normally I use the Domke when out and about photographing, but in the context of Antarctica (which I think is relevant to both Craig and André) either of these will mainly be useful just in the context of international flights. I haven't found it convenient to wear these under large jackets/etc. For a start, to access it I would have to open up the jacket.
Last edited by DaveB on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveB

Postby Matt. K on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info Andre! Very interesting post. Has inspired me to begin designing the 'Travel Knickers'...with 24 pockets and room for a spare bladder. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Equipment Reviews