Converting SD to CF

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Converting SD to CF

Postby petermmc on Fri May 22, 2009 3:48 pm

I ended up with a spare 16g SD card and decided rather than to watch it grow older, I would purchase an adapter that enables me to use it on my D200. It cost less than $30 sent to my door and I just tried it on the D200 and enables me to take 2.3 thousand fine high qual jpegs (that is of course if I choose to). It seems to me that the world is shifting more towards sd in lower to medium range cameras and to have an adapter that enables the use of both is pretty cool.

Anyway if anyone wants more info I am happy pass on the HK supplier of the said item which I ordered last Saturday night and arrival was today. The SD card I have is by no means a fasty but it seems to keep up on the D200 at full bore.

I am interested in any comments or experiences with said items. Do they mysteriously blow up after 666 shots? Or, do they melt under the pressure? Or, is the embarrassment of having an sd card in a cf camera so much to bear for the photographer that he/she suffers from 'post purchase dissonance' and is rendered unable to press the shutter????

Kind regards
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Re: Converting SD to CF

Postby aim54x on Fri May 22, 2009 5:40 pm

I have looked at such converters and have been waiting for someone to test one and let me know. The main complaint that goes around is the reduction in performance in writing, but if you ahve not noticed anything then it should be fine. I have a some 2gb SD's and even a 4gb micro that may be useful in my D300 if such a device proves to be a workable solution.

Cheers
Cameron
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby radar on Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Peter,

I was just looking for one of these so I would be interested in finding out the supplier's details. For me it is not so much to use my P&S SD cards in my DSLR, it is more to be able to use the SD cards in my nice FW800 SanDisk card reader do download to my Macbook. Saves me having yet another card reader.

Thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby petermmc on Sat May 23, 2009 12:47 am

Hi Andre

This should get you there:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0355474722

Company out of HK goes by the name of adapterbest.

Regards

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby DaveB on Sun May 24, 2009 11:46 pm

Sounds like an SDHC-to-CF adapter. I used to have an SD-to-CF adapter (the difference is SD can't handle cards > 2GB). I used it in a Nexto ND-2500 to back up SD cards from a couple of cameras, and sold it with the ND-2500 as my readers now have SDHC as well as CF.

It should work fine. There's little risk of an explosion after 666 shots. ;)
The main drawback will be speed. If speed is an issue for you, you should probably be shooting with a decent CF card (the definition of "decent" depends on the camera body you're using). But not everyone is hung up on speed to the same extent. The SDHC adapter won't use UDMA, but it should work.
DaveB

Return to Equipment Reviews