Powerex AA battery performance

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Powerex AA battery performance

Postby cawdor on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:23 am

A while ago I purchased the Maha MH-C9000 charger (excellent btw) and two sets of 4 Powerex 2700 NiMH AA batteries.

I hadn't really used the batteries before this weekend, when I was photographing my sister's wedding. Playing it safe, I had the two fully charged sets of batteries as well as a 10 pack of Energizer alkalines, for use in my SB-800.

The performance of the Powerex was really surprising for me. I expected a set to last maybe until mid afternoon (shooting began at 9am). At the end of the night at 2am they were still going!!! The flash would take a bit longer to be ready after the last shot, but otherwise there was no difference from morning to late night shooting.

I was also surprised that with the Powerex, my flash would fire when taking a sequence of shots. With normal Energizers the flash would fire on the first shot and just not fire on the second shot when using the high speed mode on the D300.

In my usual shooting (sports/action) I don't use the flash at all so I have no experience to compare this to, but I was very surprised by the battery performance and give these a big thumbs up :)
Tim
D300 | D200 | F90x | 70-200 f2.8 VR | Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro | Tokina 12-24 f4 | Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-800
cawdor

Re: Powerex AA battery performance

Postby Pa on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:28 am

thanks for the info Tim...
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby aim54x on Fri May 01, 2009 12:48 pm

cawdor wrote:A while ago I purchased the Maha MH-C9000 charger (excellent btw) and two sets of 4 Powerex 2700 NiMH AA batteries.

congrats on the purchase, I am considering a c9000 myself at the moment, I use Eneloops (2000Mah LSD) not the Powerex because I bought into Eneloop prior to the finding out about the Imedion and the Powerex.

cawdor wrote:I hadn't really used the batteries before this weekend, when I was photographing my sister's wedding. Playing it safe, I had the two fully charged sets of batteries as well as a 10 pack of Energizer alkalines, for use in my SB-800.

very very wise move!

cawdor wrote:I was also surprised that with the Powerex, my flash would fire when taking a sequence of shots. With normal Energizers the flash would fire on the first shot and just not fire on the second shot when using the high speed mode on the D300.

This may also be due to how hard the flash is working, if your flash has fired with lots of power it will not be able to fire at the next shot of the burst.

The Powerex do get a good write up. If I was using my flashes heavily I would keep a few sets of them on hand, but my flashes lie dormant for long periods so LSD's like the Eneloop and the Imedion are great for me.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Grev on Sat May 02, 2009 7:20 pm

Those batteries are definitely great. I have bought 2 chargers (c9000 and the fast travel charger), 16 eneloops, 20 imedions and 16 Powerex2700.

They work great.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Return to Equipment Reviews