Making an R-Strap

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Making an R-Strap

Postby photoaffinity on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Not sure if this is the right section, but I just put up a quick guide on making an R-Strap that is a bit stronger than most of the DIY ones out there, and very cheap. I don't know about you but I certainly wouldn't trust hanging my camera from the d-ring of a tripod plate, i've had them come off in my hand before now.

The link is here: http://photoaffinity.com.au - DIY strap

Here's the gist of it for the lazy:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoaffinity/3455570710/]Image

photoaffinity

Re: Making an R-Strap

Postby who on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Interesting - good design etc.

But I'd be confident in attaching a strap to a RRS L plate for tripod mounting - they don't move when installed properly.

What sort/brand of tripod plates are you referring to? The L plate would also stop rotation compared to a normal tripod plate.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby photohiker on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:13 am

I think there is a D Ring on the Manfrotto plate screw, and I think I've seen that used with the R strap. I really wouldn't trust it either though, they don't strike me as a weight carrying component.

Full marks for trying, I kinda think that the original is worth the money, even though it costs more than the sum of it's parts. (and almost any other strap). Like they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery...

Michael
photohiker

Postby foonji on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:36 am

photohiker wrote:I think there is a D Ring on the Manfrotto plate screw, and I think I've seen that used with the R strap. I really wouldn't trust it either though, they don't strike me as a weight carrying component.

Full marks for trying, I kinda think that the original is worth the money, even though it costs more than the sum of it's parts. (and almost any other strap). Like they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery...

Michael

I use an R-Strap with Manfrotto square quick release plate. Its the win!
It carries for me upto a 1d, 70-200 2.8IS and Speedlite without a doubt.

the right angle pos you get with it i wouldn't trust and also makes it difficult to use the camera orientated in portrait.

You might of seen me with it in adelaide at one stage ;)
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Postby photohiker on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Then of course, there is always the official solution:

Link

I like it. It's shiny :)

$US12 on top of the standard strap.

Michael
photohiker

Postby photoaffinity on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:38 pm

photohiker wrote:I think there is a D Ring on the Manfrotto plate screw, and I think I've seen that used with the R strap. I really wouldn't trust it either though, they don't strike me as a weight carrying component.

yeah that's the one i am talking about, had the D ring turn in to an I and a C in my hand once...

Yeah after using this one for a while now i think i might step up and purchase the real deal, mostly because i like the strap they use!
photoaffinity

Return to Equipment Reviews