My Softboxes

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

My Softboxes

Postby ATJ on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm in the process of writing up a blog entry about my softboxes. I took a series of macro photos showing different flash options including 2 of my softboxes. I thought people might be interested in seeing the effects of various options so enjoy.

My Softboxes
ATJ

Re: My Softboxes

Postby Big Red on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 pm

i should really get off my bum and build a soft box with lights to the sides and top
i used a sheet on one i set up at work but it cut down the lights too much
Big Red

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for that summary Andrew. I have already built your version 1. Though I lined the insides with AlFoil, so perhaps is is version 4.

The collapsibles look good, but don't you lose a lot of light out the sides? What bounces off the paper just escapes. If there were sides, some, at least, would eventually get out the front
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby ATJ on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:Thanks for that summary Andrew. I have already built your version 1. Though I lined the insides with AlFoil, so perhaps is is version 4.

Version 3 is foil lined. Version 4 is a longer collapsible model.

Mr Darcy wrote:The collapsibles look good, but don't you lose a lot of light out the sides? What bounces off the paper just escapes. If there were sides, some, at least, would eventually get out the front

Not noticeably. In both cases the angle of coverage of the flash is such that it just fills the front panel of the softbox so there is no light spillage there. I would think that any light reflected off the front panel is going to be pretty much lost anyway and even with a foil lined tube you wouldn't get much back out the front. With the longer one, I did go with tissue paper which greatly reduces the amount of light reflected of the front. Anyway, I am getting sufficient light out of each of them.
ATJ

Return to Equipment Reviews