What sort of folio do you use?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

What sort of folio do you use?

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Hello everyone,
I was thinking about what my family could get me for christmas, and I would like to have family buy a folio of some sort to place my 8 x12 matt's into to display to people who would like me to photograph their children or buy a print of one of my images.

What do you use? or what do you recommend? & can u post a pic of your current set up?

I was looking at a compendium today a nice leather one, i have no idea if you can you get sheets to put in to them to place the matt's in for protection.

is there a better setup somewhere else that i could or should use?

thanks, i look forward to seeing your setup
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: What sort of folio do you use?

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:13 pm

I have a leather bound "archival quality" scrapbook that I carry 8"x12" prints in, but this is often left at home due to the bulk so I invested in a smaller, square shaped "archival quality self adhesive" album (gasps at the nonsense) where I have stuck 5"x7" prints in to show anyone who asks.

I'll get some photos up later when I get home.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Here are some photos of what I use (please excuse the bad photos - I just pointed and shot)

"self adhesive"

"almost A4 scrapbook - I dont really like this one"

"leather 5x7 album - retired now"
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14 pm

excellent ideas, i appreciate you posting the pictures for me, the one i've been eyeing off is leather , with a handle on the out side edge, incide theres a notepad, pen pockets, folder/binder clips (like the old school folders..small ones) 3 of them to be exact. Just need to know what sort of sleeves to buy to use in them now, to fit the 8 x 10 matts...i think thats the hard part.
Anyone else with info on what you use for displaying your images? for clients etc.

Thank again Aim.

kristen
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:19 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:excellent ideas, i appreciate you posting the pictures for me, the one i've been eyeing off is leather , with a handle on the out side edge, incide theres a notepad, pen pockets, folder/binder clips (like the old school folders..small ones) 3 of them to be exact. Just need to know what sort of sleeves to buy to use in them now, to fit the 8 x 10 matts...i think thats the hard part.
Anyone else with info on what you use for displaying your images? for clients etc.

Thank again Aim.

kristen

Kristen, call me Cameron or Cam if you prefer (I would prefer it as well). Your described folio sounds really nice but be aware that sleeves will be hard to find, I really dont think standard sleeves will suit the bill, so maybe look as a leather bound display book. My friend (also a photographer - one that makes money from it unlike me) uses one that he found in Dymocks. Really nice leather cover with nice thick clear plastic sleeves that he slides 8x12 photos into.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:28 pm

thanks cam, dymocks hey, might have a quick look now and a proper look tomorrow. i think the pockets will be too hard, it'd be nice if it came with the pockets. But no luck! will let u know if i can find anything.
bigsarg7

Return to Equipment Reviews