Nikon PC24

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon PC24

Postby glamy on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:13 pm

I recently bought a 24 PC and thought I would share my experience so far.
First, you do not want to be in a hurry. I find it hard to focus through the viewfinder (D2x). The near point is OK but using the tilt to achieve focus on the far point can be frustrating. In fact maybe more frustrating is the difficulty I have seeing the bottom line in the viewfinder. I must say I wear multifocal glasses but when the sun is on the side I guess most people would have a problem.
The handling is not too bad but I find the drag adjustment on the tilt a little flimsy. The detente to rotate the lens can also be awkward.
When I manage to get things right the results are great (sharpness, contrast... etc) and I do not regret buying this lens. It makes me think more about the picture I am about to take. It also makes me lust after a FF camera :oops: :oops:
Cheers,
GerardImage
Last edited by glamy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glamy

Re: Nikon PC24

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Gerard,

This is a great lens, but yes, you need to be very deliberate in how you use it.

Have you Googled Scheimpflug yet? If you're wanting to use the swings and tilts to change the apparent DoF, you should do that, and understand how the lens can use the different planes of focus. Armed with that knowledge, you can then predetermine mathematically what angles you need to employ, and then set them up before you start to worry about focus. If you get your number crunching right, focus should not even be an issue. :)

I suspect that you're trying to this by eye, and yes, that would be quite frustrating. What you're attempting is a very complex optical setup, and it does take some time ad practice to master. For a first effort, you've done bloody well, and make sure that you bring this lens to Leon's next week so that I may confiscate it. :)

We had a 45 with a D700 for a week or so, and boy, was that ever fun. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby big pix on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:38 pm

this lens can be a bit of a beast on a D2x as I found using it on a D2Xs...... using the same lens on a D300 or D700 it is much better...... on the FF body it is just fantastic...... :mrgreen:
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby radar on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Gerard,

great lens you got there. It certainly is on my list. I was trying one out earlier in the week, very nice on a FF camera. Other advantage of using it on a D3/D700/D3X/D300 is that you get auto aperture control.

Looks like you were visiting Mungo Nat. Park, great part of the world :up: , if I'm not mistaking. Must have been getting hot.

thanks for the report,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby glamy on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Gary,
I cannot make it to Sheepie's next weekend.
I find the numbers system a bit dodgy as the height and angles vary a lot. If I take my time it should be OK.
Yeah Big Pix a D700 would be nice...
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Return to Equipment Reviews