"Middle of the road" shoot-through umbrella

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

"Middle of the road" shoot-through umbrella

Postby muzz on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:40 pm

I've just broken my second "cheap" ebay kit umbrellas - both times resulted from a light stand with SB26 gently toppling over at the hands of a small child. The struts are made of that pressed tin that gets its "rigidity" (a term to be used loosely with these things) by forming a U-shape in cross section. It bends very easily however, and when bending it back into shape, it just breaks.

Anyway, I know there are some very good and expensive professional umbrellas available, but I was hoping for something in the middle range but with reasonable chance of surviving occasional maltreatment.

Can anyone comment on gear they would recommend or have seen? Thanks.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Re: "Middle of the road" shoot-through umbrella

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 pm

The problems here are not so much with the brollies, but the fact that your stands are unstable and top-heavy.

Even more expensive brollies will suffer the same inevitabilities ... so I would just get the sheepies. Sorry, I meant cheapies. :)

But I would also perhaps look towards some sandbags as a means of better securing the bases of your stands, in order that you can try to prevent this from happening.

That, or eat the kids for Christmas dinner. :P
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photoaffinity on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:41 pm

muzz wrote:Can anyone commet on gear they would recommend or have seen? Thanks.

I buy umbrellas that are about $6 at the local bargain store. yes i have also gone through a few in the past, but mostly due to wind rather than kids so these days i like to:

1) snap the decorative handle off, so it will fit in my stands.
2) push a piece of dowell through the tube, and glue it in with a bit of tarzans grip.
3) take it out and make some pretty photos.

makes the brolly a little bit heavier, but much stronger. :up:
photoaffinity

Postby muzz on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to have a look at that idea thanks photoaffinity - I hadn't given much thought to the sizing of a "normal" umbrella.

gstark wrote:But I would also perhaps look towards some sandbags as a means of better securing the bases of your stands, in order that you can try to prevent this from happening.

That, or eat the kids for Christmas dinner. :P

Gary, you've given me another idea. I think sandbagging the kids may also better secure the bases of the stands (in a manner of speaking) and the idea deserves some careful consideration. This forum really gets people to think outside the box, doesn't it!! :lol:
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby foonji on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:37 pm

gaffa tape will fix all.

When I worked at school formals/graduations and set up a mobile studio everything was gaffa'd to the floor. never had anything topple over no matter how many kids walked into/tripped over/knocked the stands/cables/backdrop.
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Return to Equipment Reviews