D40 vs....

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D40 vs....

Postby Jeffrey on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:11 am

Hello, my name is Jeffrey, I am newly registered to this site, but I have been browsing it for some time now.

I have just purchased a D40 about a week ago, and while I do like the light weight and it does take decent photos, I am not sure I can get past the lack servo motor in the body. I have 45 days from point of purchase to return it if I don't like it. I was just wondering what other D40 users though, and also, what would be a similar camera from other brands which does have the servo motor in the camera body. It might be that I am just scared of getting into DSLR from a point and shoot Canon A80. I have always liked my Canon, which makes me also double think going with a Nikon. I like the look of the Olympus cameras, but the smaller sensor size makes me think that would be a poor choice. My brother has a Pentax K100 or K10 (I can't recall which right now) so there is the idea that we could share lenses (he's back home in Canada though). As you can tell I am just lost, I bought the D40 because of the price but maybe I was too hasty.

HELP! I need some guidance and maybe a psychotherapist to help me get over my commitment issues.
Jeffrey

Re: D40 vs....

Postby Pa on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:06 am

hi Jeff, the d80 has the drive in body in Nikon....I'm not sure about other brands
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:28 am

Hi Jeffrey, and welcome.

Jeffrey wrote:I have just purchased a D40 about a week ago, and while I do like the light weight and it does take decent photos,

No. That would be you that's taking the decent photos. :)

I am not sure I can get past the lack servo motor in the body.

Why do you feel this to be an issue for you? In what way do you feel it may be hampering your photography?

This is one reason that the D40 is so compact and lightweight. It may limit your lens choices, but what lenses do you see yourself needing and acquiring?

Did you have a play with any of the others before making your purchase? How did any of the Canon/Olympus/Pentax bodies feel in your hands? What would be your future lens choices with respect to each of those brands?

As you suggest, price is certainly one reason to purchase a body. But just one of many.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Dave-D40 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 am

As a d40 user and a newbie i might add, i find the d40 does take some crap shots but i also know it takes some cracker shots,it all depends on the day and my experience level for the shot.

I find the more i learn how to use it the better my shots get. I also have just come from a point and shoot ,the first thing i discovered was that turning the d40 onto auto gave me good shots but learning manual gave me better shots.

As for the no motor issue there are plenty of lenses that have motors and theres more being made all the time.
Nikon D7100/D7200, Nikkor 18-55, Nikkor 55-300, Nikkor 30, Nikkor 105 macro, Nikkor 10 - 24, Tokina 11 - 16, Tamron 150-600mm, SB600, Misc other
Dave-D40

Postby digitor on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 pm

Dave-D40 wrote: i find the d40 does take some crap shots but i also know it takes some cracker shots....

I find the more i learn how to use it the better my shots get.

Funny that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of the crusty old saying: "The harder you work, the luckier you get".

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby seeto.centric on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:48 am

I thought it's possible to MF using non AF-S lenses on the D40 with the aid of its inbuilt AF sensor/rangefinder?

Apart from teh D80, a D50, D70/s also has the inbuilt screwdriver. All use the same sensor as your D40 but maybe a bit too ancient for your likings?

goodluck with it!

-j
seeto.centric

Postby aim54x on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:27 am

You can MF your AF-D lenses, and the D40 actually lets you mount your pre AI lenses from memory but it wont meter those lenses. I dont think it will be a camera that hampers you, it is a really good camera to learn on, especially moving up to from a point and shoot with no prior SLR experience.

It is so true, it is you taking the good shots, not the camera, it is only doing a good job of recording your insight.

If you are worried about this purchase, then go back and have a look at the Nikon D80, of if you want have a look at the Canon 400D for something not too expensive and lightweight.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Jeffrey on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:38 am

I have been hunting around a bit more. I have tried out the feel of a few cameras again, just to add more to the thought process. After reading many many reviews and thinking on the D40 and what I don't like about it (basically the AF on AF-S lens only) I am finding it hard to justify the extra 700$ to the next level, find it to be decent, and light. I really do like the feel of the Olympus E-510, Nikon D80, Sony A350 and the Pentax K10D (the same camera as my brother). As much as I liked my old Canon, I have decided that I do not really like the 400D/450D. I am sure it is a fantastic camera, but something about it... I don't know. It was one of the cameras I looked at back home before I came to Australia, and decided against it.

I like the features list on the K10D and my brother seems to like it a lot (though he reckons he paid too much for it at 800$ CDN 5 months ago). Does anyone use one? The reviews I have read so far on pentax lenses make me feel a bit weary. Quality wise, how do they stack up against Canon/Nikon, etc..

I like the look and feel of the Olympus cameras, but again, the 4/3 system seems like a step backwards (even though it was designed for digital cameras), but do the specially designed lenses make up for the smaller sensor dimensions?

@Digitor - Your quote reminded me instantly of a Canadian Author by the name of Stephen Leacock. He said "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it". He was pretty bang on with that one.

@aim54x - I have gone back and looked at the D80. I just wonder if its worth the price differance. I might not even out grow this camera, and if I do, the D40 wasn't too dear @ AU$598.

@gstark - Thank you for having me on your message board. You are right, I am mostly interested in taking landscape shots, macro shots of flowers and other interesting textures, and some decent shots of my friends are events. I also have a interest in IR and UV photography.

With so many things on my mind, is it any wonder that I am unable to come to a decision?
Jeffrey

Postby Yanluk on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Jeffrey wrote:I have been hunting around a bit more. I have tried out the feel of a few cameras again, just to add more to the thought process. After reading many many reviews and thinking on the D40 and what I don't like about it (basically the AF on AF-S lens only) I am finding it hard to justify the extra 700$ to the next level, find it to be decent, and light. I really do like the feel of the Olympus E-510, Nikon D80, Sony A350 and the Pentax K10D (the same camera as my brother). As much as I liked my old Canon, I have decided that I do not really like the 400D/450D. I am sure it is a fantastic camera, but something about it... I don't know. It was one of the cameras I looked at back home before I came to Australia, and decided against it.

I like the features list on the K10D and my brother seems to like it a lot (though he reckons he paid too much for it at 800$ CDN 5 months ago). Does anyone use one? The reviews I have read so far on pentax lenses make me feel a bit weary. Quality wise, how do they stack up against Canon/Nikon, etc..

I like the look and feel of the Olympus cameras, but again, the 4/3 system seems like a step backwards (even though it was designed for digital cameras), but do the specially designed lenses make up for the smaller sensor dimensions?

@Digitor - Your quote reminded me instantly of a Canadian Author by the name of Stephen Leacock. He said "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it". He was pretty bang on with that one.

@aim54x - I have gone back and looked at the D80. I just wonder if its worth the price differance. I might not even out grow this camera, and if I do, the D40 wasn't too dear @ AU$598.

@gstark - Thank you for having me on your message board. You are right, I am mostly interested in taking landscape shots, macro shots of flowers and other interesting textures, and some decent shots of my friends are events. I also have a interest in IR and UV photography.

With so many things on my mind, is it any wonder that I am unable to come to a decision?

Isn't to early to thinking about new camera? You just get yours
D40 is the simplest camera from Nikon, but it's doing it job great. Ok you don't have the bult-in motor for non AF-S lenses, but what lens you are after?

If you thinking of changing D40 to D80 wait few weeks/month as there are signs of D90 coming soon. Altough it's possible that even D90 will not have bulti-in motor. So wait few month, enjoy your camera, and when you get to the point where you will be sure that D40 is not enought than look for something else (maybe secondhand D80 or even D200 which prices droping rapidly).
Nikon
Yanluk

Postby StarForge on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm looking at upgrading my D40, but at the same time intend to keep my D40 as its so easy to use. The D40 is small, light, takes great shots with minimal effort. I take it everywhere I go paired with the SB-400 speedlight.

Sure the lack of servo motor is a pain, if you want to use those AF lenses that need it, but it has made me much better at manual focusing and trusting my eyes. The main downside of the D40/40x/60/80 for me is the lack of metering for non-metering lenses, but become more familiar with manual mode you'll begin to appreciate it more.

I'm not writing a recommendation, but it really comes down to what you'll want to do with the camera. The differences between the D40 and D80 really come down to the view finder, focus points and the AF servo IMHO. Though its worth noting the D80 is an older model than the D40... the oldest in the current line.
StarForge

Return to Equipment Reviews