Hike GPS. Updated to mapping GPS

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Hike GPS. Updated to mapping GPS

Postby photohiker on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi.

I've used a GPS for the last few years when hiking and travelling, and recently the call of the newer high-sensitivity receivers and ability to load gigabytes of mapping onto the units finally wore me down. I plonked my trusty non-mapping Garmin GPS60 on ebay and picked up what I could for it, about $180. (they still sell new ex US for $250 odd). The new one I selected came from the US and cost just under $300 including freight, so my changeover, including a 2Gb memory card comes to about $150, so the old unit basically cost me about $50 a year. This unit sells for around $500 locally.

The new unit (Garmin Etrex Vista HCx) is a little ripper. For starters, it has a colour screen. It will pick up satellites indoors and undercover where the old unit would dropout almost as soon as you walked in the door. It's faster to pickup the initial location from turn-on as well, probably as a result of the more sensitive receiver. This model has an inbuilt compass and barometer - the compass is not so useful except when stopped and I have turned it off to conserve battery life, but the barometer means that the unit will give you an accurate elevation profile of your journey, something the old unit could not. (in fact, anytime I used the GPS-based altimeter on the old unit, I found it had significant error)

Unit is about the same size as a desktop mouse.

Mapping is a revelation. If you are familiar with the whole GPS map thing, you'd know that the maps tend to be the software that you pay through the nose for, and a few sets of maps will easily be much more investment than the GPS they run on. For instance the Garmin City Navigator maps for Australia run to about $250 on discount. Maps for GPS are like Lenses for DSLR's.

While I was researching this whole thing, I came across Shonkymaps. Shonkymaps is a labour of love by a single individual to provide Garmin-compatible maps from freely available Australian mapping data. It's free, and based o the 250k scale set from Geoscience Australia, and is licensed for non-commercial use. These maps have as much or more detail as commercial products, including street names and contours. What they don't provide is the data for routing (ie. directions from getting between place A and B) For that convenience, you need to pay for a commercial product or spend the time building your own routes. Auto-routing on the Garmin maps is said to work well, but be aware that there are no voice instructions available with this or similar handhelds, so it's not a replacement for an in-car instructional GPS.

Battery life with the compass off is about the same as my old unit by all accounts (about 24 hours) The unit itself is smaller than the old unit, and weighs considerably less. Like most handheld GPS, it's waterproof and shockproof within reasonable limits.

I'll add updates to this, once I've had a chance to test it in the field (excuse the pun) :)

Michael
photohiker

Re: Hike GPS. Updated to mapping GPS

Postby Justin on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:15 pm

Will this neat little unit plug into a GPS capable DSLR?

Also, if you want driving directions to anywhere for free, we use it on our mountain biking website. Put in your home location on your (nobmob) profile, click on the ride you want to go to, voila!

http://maps.google.com.au/?saddr=Deniso ... 7149215673

The above linked from http://nobmob.com/rides/cascades
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby photohiker on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Justin wrote:Will this neat little unit plug into a GPS capable DSLR?

Also, if you want driving directions to anywhere for free, we use it on our mountain biking website. Put in your home location on your (nobmob) profile, click on the ride you want to go to, voila!

http://maps.google.com.au/?saddr=Deniso ... 7149215673

The above linked from http://nobmob.com/rides/cascades

Thanks for the info.

I don't have a GPS Capable DSLR (hurry up Canon!) but this one has only USB interface, what do they need?

Michael
photohiker

Postby Justin on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:46 pm

This doesn't mean much to me - but this is what I found -

From the nikon site for the D3;

GPS NMEA 0183 (Ver. 2.01 and 3.01) interface standard supported with 9-pin D-sub cable (optional) and GPS Cable MC-35 (optional)

words from the MC-35 spec;

GPS data (NMEA 0183) format can be inserted into D2X image files during capture. Connects most GPS RS232 serial output cables to the 10-pin port of the D2X. Latitude, Longitude, altitude and UTC time data can be stored.

The MC-35 GPS Adapter Cord connects D2X digital cameras to GPS receivers, allowing the current longitude, latitude, altitude, and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) to be recorded with each photograph taken.
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby photohiker on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:23 pm

Ironically, the GPS I sold would do this, as it had a serial port :)

The HCx does not, it's usb only. No information on whether a usb-to-serial cable would work for this application.

The non-colour Etrex models have a serial port, but miss the updated gps receiver as far as I can tell. There's quite a few google hits for homespun MC35/GPS setups if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Michael
photohiker

Postby stubbsy on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Justin - the problem connecting a GPS to a GPS capable Nikon is that the cable is disgustingly expensive and hard to get. A better, more cost effective solution is to use RoboGeo software with any old GPS unit. It works with most cameras (even non GPS ones) amd most GPS units and at US$39.95 is less than HALF the cost of the MC-35 cable.

I've been using it for some time now with a dedicated photo GPS unit (Gisteq PhotoTrackr Pro) (the PhotoTrackr software isn't on par with RoboGeo) and it supports raw formats like NEF as well as more standard things like jpeg. To see the end result go to my SmugMug Geotagged photos section and click the Map This! button at the top. You should see a Google map of NZ with pins in it marking where each photo was taken.

EDIT: I've now posted details on Geotagging with software HERE
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby SNW on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:23 pm

I see you're using a Mac also, have you tried garmin's new Bobcat software for Mac?
I've been playing around with the last few beta releases, it's still a little rough and ready, not quite MapSource YET, but least it's something.
SNW

Return to Equipment Reviews