Manfrotto Modo Maxi 685 Review?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Manfrotto Modo Maxi 685 Review?

Postby ar03n on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi All,

I went to Ted's for look a round last week and noticed they have Manfrotto Modo Maxi 685 (or is it 685B?) for sale at $99.95.

The tripod is very light, can extend to about 165 cm. I'm wondering if anyone have had this one and can you share some comments of what you think of the tripod. It's quite lightweight and easy to carry.

I have a D40 w/ 18-200 and SB-400. so I'm wondering if I put them all on top of the tripod, how stable or unstable it'll become?

I am planning to bring all my stuff to the store and put it on the test this weekend :)

-ronald
~ronald~
ar03n

Re: Manfrotto Modo Maxi 685 Review?

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:04 pm

ar03n wrote:Hi All,

I went to Ted's

I'm sorry.

Manfrotto Modo Maxi 685 (or is it 685B?) for sale at $99.95.

Was it black? That's what the "b" in the model number should mean.

The tripod is very light

Does it include a head, or is it just the legs?

If just the head, remember to factor in the cost and weight of a head.

I have a D40 w/ 18-200 and SB-400. so I'm wondering if I put them all on top of the tripod, how stable or unstable it'll become?

But what else are you panning to buy?

Not just this week, but, say, over the next 18-24 months? Better glass? Longer glass? How heavy will that be?

And how many times are you wanting to spend money on a tripod?

The best advice I can give is that you buy the best legs you can afford. Even if you think they're more than you need, they won't be.

And if you buy less than you need, you'll really be upset by blurry images, or when the legs collapse under the weight of the body + lens you're putting on them.

I am planning to bring all my stuff to the store and put it on the test this weekend :)

Are you saying that Ted's didn't have a D40 and an 18-200 in stock so that you could try this out? I'd be speaking with the store manager over that sort of lack of service were it the case.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ar03n on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:29 pm

gstark wrote:

I went to Ted's

I'm sorry.

Why sorry?

gstark wrote:
ar03n wrote:Manfrotto Modo Maxi 685 (or is it 685B?) for sale at $99.95.

Was it black? That's what the "b" in the model number should mean.

yes, it was black

gstark wrote:
ar03n wrote:The tripod is very light

The tripod already includes the head

gstark wrote:
ar03n wrote:I have a D40 w/ 18-200 and SB-400. so I'm wondering if I put them all on top of the tripod, how stable or unstable it'll become?

Not just this week, but, say, over the next 18-24 months? Better glass? Longer glass? How heavy will that be?

The best advice I can give is that you buy the best legs you can afford. Even if you think they're more than you need, they won't be.

And if you buy less than you need, you'll really be upset by blurry images, or when the legs collapse under the weight of the body + lens you're putting on them.

I have no planned to buy any tele lens probably a 50mm sometime in the future...

gstark wrote:
ar03n wrote:

Are you saying that Ted's didn't have a D40 and an 18-200 in stock so that you could try this out? I'd be speaking with the store manager over that sort of lack of service were it the case.

You know what.... I don't know what happened that day, but I don't think I used my brain at ALL!!!!!!!!! why didn't I think of that before? Uh oh..this is bad, I need a brain scan soon.... :shock:
~ronald~
ar03n

Postby who on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Have a read of this.... depending on where photography takes you.... it could be a very expensive purchase.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

In all seriousness.... look at buying at least a Manfrotto 190XPROB and either the 804 3 way head or a ballhead.

Reason being, weight is the key, if it isn't steady and stable, one day it will topple when you are outdoors in the wind etc.... or else it will rock and sway in the wind......

Also, how is the height of it compared to you? You should be able to stand upright and look through the viewfinder. Stooping etc will render the tripod hard to use, so you probably won't take the shot.....

I have an old tripod from my father that I don't use for these reasons. It is quite nice for something from either the 60's or 70's - was used with his cinefilm camera :shock: but the fact I have to connect the camera via grubscrew (no QR plates) and deal with a lever based head for film means I often don't bother.

Soon I will be pulling my finger out & buying..... either a Benro or a Manfrotto 055XPROB ..... I want the 055 as I am a bit too tall for the 190 to be comfortable based on my testing.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby Paul on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:02 pm

I originally bought a 190 Manfrotto, I was constantly raising the centre column to reach my eye level which was a real pain in the ass as it made it all the more wobbly, I recently bought a Manfrotto 055XPROB and I cant believe how good its been.
My product shots are now a lot easier with the centre column that can quickly reach 90 degree's in seconds.
In answering your question, yes get the best tripod you can afford for the cash available as you'll never use it if it doesn't suit your needs.
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:11 pm

ar03n wrote:
gstark wrote:

I went to Ted's

I'm sorry.

Why sorry?

You went to Ted's.

gstark wrote:
ar03n wrote:The tripod is very light

The tripod already includes the head

Then I'd be very concerned at the capabilities of this unit with even a light DSLR. This unit will be more suited to a PHD camera, and I would suspect that it is not a satisfactory tripod for use with a DSLR.

gstark wrote:
ar03n wrote:I have a D40 w/ 18-200 and SB-400. so I'm wondering if I put them all on top of the tripod, how stable or unstable it'll become?

I have no planned to buy any tele lens probably a 50mm sometime in the future...

Is that all?

If that's the case, then you will be staying lightweight in terms of your camera and glass, but I respectfully suggest that something of a heavier duty is appropriate.

oh..this is bad, I need a brain scan soon.... :shock:

I had one a while back, but they failed to find one. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Reviews