Boys and their toys

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Boys and their toys

Postby huynhie on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:03 am

For those people who enjoy collecting toys, here is a site for you. Forget about Maglite's, these guys make Maglite's look like little candles :shock: .

I am looking at getting one when I collect more play money

Anyway enjoy :D
huynhie

Postby Onyx on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:43 am

Huynhie, I started a nice collection of Surefires and other torches before I got into photography. One day, I listed what I spent on illumination tools in a spreadsheet, the four figure sum made me not keep track of my spendings anymore. :D

I can tell you, NOTHING will prepare you for the brightness of these Surefires. Most of the lineup are smaller than the Mini-Mag; but have light outputs EXCEEDING the 4 cell (4D/4C) models.

I regularly carry the Surefire G2 nitrolon model in my camera bag. I also have the 9P model equipped with an Z32 shock isolated bezel. It places the lamps in rubber suspension that is designed to withstand the recoil from a 12 gauge blast (has anyone shot with a shotgun felt the recoil?) All the gun mounted lights on the M4 carbines and backup sidearms carried by the US and coalition troops currently in Iraq are Surefires, equiped with similar shock isolated systems.

For the most part, they are tactical illumination tools. Designed for serious urban warfare. They feature what's unofficially the "dead man's switch": when the person carrying the torch falls dead, the light switches off to prevent illuminating their peers in proximity to prevent compromising their lives. When the engineering criteria stretches as far as considering what happens when the operator falls dead - nobody's kidding around!

There's also Tigerlight (http://www.tigerlight.net) which closely resembles the innocent Maglite Rechargeable, except for it's much brighter light output, and the ability to dispense pepper spray! Yes I have one, but not the pepper spray model. ;)

Mate, I could enlighten anyone for days about torches...
Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:49 am

Huynhie and Onyx, I couldn't believe that a torch could cost $2900 US!!
Then some people probably say that about lenses
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:50 am

Onyx what a strange hobby(!) :roll: Ah well - back to counting my used toothpicks :wink:

On a more serious note, I had noticed that in the later series of the X-Files they had gone from those really big torches with extremely bright light (which normally appeared from nowhere) to really small pocket type with very bright light. I did not think that lights of this nature could exist until the Surefire was brought to my attention.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby wile_E on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:52 am

Guys, THIS is the type of "collectables" I'd like...

:shock: :twisted:
wile_E

Postby huynhie on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 am

Onyx,

I'm definately going to see these torches of yours one day. Did you purchase the Surefires in Australia or were they over the net?

What is amazing is that there is arc lamp in developement that produces 2000 lumens for over an hour :shock:
huynhie

Postby beej on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:59 am

For true geek toys:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

Enjoy
- beej
beej

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:05 am

HTTPanties !

Beej, I am worried about you :wink:
Glen

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:08 am

I've loved the toys at ThinkGeek.

My Mercedes just broke down so I'm thinking of getting something abnormally freaky to replace it: http://www.tokyoflash.com/viewwatch.php ... rom=W2&KW=
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:09 am

Glen wrote:HTTPanties !

Beej, I am worried about you :wink:

Glen - forget the panties (although I did have a quick look) - how about the James Bond camera in a lighter - ideal for Shopping Malls, School Carnivals, logging ASIO agents and hundreds of other uses :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby beej on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:11 am

My favourite toy from ThinkGeek is the doormat that has printed 127.0.0.1. I've bought that several times as birthday presents for geek friends, they love it.
beej

Postby beej on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:13 am

...and the thought of buying those HTTPanties did cross my mind for Valentines Day. But I didn't think my non-geek girlfriend would appreciate them as much as I would.
beej

Postby huynhie on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:20 am

Those 127.0.0.1 doormats look interesting.

I am also showing a hidden interest in the HTTPanties as well :shock:
huynhie

Postby Onyx on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:23 am

My light collection -
http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=11

IIRC, the smaller pocket styles lights in Xfiles are either Surefire Z2 or Streamlight Scorpion (as used in CSI).

I bought my torches mostly from online US vendors. But I believe these days, Surefire.com has some agreement preventing other online retailers from selling them now, so you can only buy them from Surefire directly (where they control the price). They have also instigated IP tracking on their website, so when you go to order from their website and they detect you're in Australia, you're directed to Australia's official rip-off distributor.

The arc lamps have a dodgy history - it was listed in Surefire's 2003 catalog as impending release in the near future, but then dropped from 2004 catalog (word in the grapevine, due to engineering difficulties), then in 05 it's sprung up again (as a limited edition)! I can tell you, 65 lumens (from the Surefire G2) in the eyes can disorientate in low light and make you see spots for a minute or two. Repeated shining at the eyes will annoy 'friends'. 2000 lumens will seriously damange the retina!!!

Surefire style lights are bright because they use Lithium batteries, CR123 types. Those with film cameras might know these are predominantly camera batteries, retailing for ~$10 each. The 2 and 3 cell torches have runtimes of 60 minutes (that's $20 and $30 an hour respectively to run the lights continuously!). But the lights aren't meant to be constant on devices. Lithiums hold their charge well and tend to have less risk of leaking like alkalines in a torch neglected for years - so they're ideal for emergency use lights eg. in the car glovebox or first aid kit, disaster preparation, terrorist survival kits, etc. ;)
Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:56 am

Onyx, they sure are modest in size, especially for that light output. I also liked your shots of Matt K with his head in a white box
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:59 am

Surefire won't work for me :lol: I need the the hold set of landing light on the 747 or at least the small landing light from the Huey, or the searchlight on the POLAIR will be good also!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:03 pm

Glen wrote:Onyx, they sure are modest in size, especially for that light output. I also liked your shots of Matt K with his head in a white box

Ditto. I spent more time looking at those. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to Equipment Reviews