120-300mm Sigma Test

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

120-300mm Sigma Test

Postby big pix on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:41 pm

this 120-300 beast is heavy to hand hold but it can be done.......too lazy to get the tripod out of the car boot

These are wild birds that feed in my garden and some days are happy to be willing subjects.... The lens is very sharp, the first image has a little camera movement, but the second one is very sharp. There is a learning curve with this lens but the more I use it the easier it becomes.......

Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby radar on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:35 pm

Very sharp there Bernie. Looks like a very nice acquisition. The bokeh is also very nice. It should also perform nicely with a TC being an f2.8 lens.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby marcotrov on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:18 pm

Lovely images Bernie. You are going to love this lens. I love mine but you are right it takes a bit of getting use to. In fact I practically always use it with my Manf. monopod :) I've also just bought the Sigma APO converter 1.4 (which I haven't used on the lens yet) and I own the 2X APO converter as well. :wink:
My only 'pick' at this quality piece of glass is that I wish the lens hood were a little deeper ( I suppose it would need to be scollaped as well because of the zoom range.) Secondly, I wish it had VR :)
Enjoy Bernie :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby big pix on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:39 pm

.....thanks Andre and Marco..... well this beast will be getting a workout tomorrow as I am off to the snow...... yes my very first photo experience shooting snow and with a new lens, should be a hell of a learning curve...... as I am only about 3 hours to the snow it will be easy to repeat any pixs that I like but with the lack of experience in this environment I will think about doing a bracket of exposures. I am going with 2 guys who know the snow and are keen shooters, but they use Canon gear...... should be a good day anyway...... I hope.....
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Pa on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:42 am

top shots B P. was the teleconverter used for these...hope to have my 120-300mm within twelve months.

cheers pa
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby fozzie on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:05 am

Bernie - nice shooting with your new toy, especially #2.

You will find a Monopod a good comprise between hand held and a tripod.

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Return to Equipment Reviews