DVD +/- R/ dual layer

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

DVD +/- R/ dual layer

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:27 pm

Anyone got and use it?
What brand of blank media you guy use (dual layer)?
I use the Verbatim DVD+R DL on the Sony DRU700 and Pioneer DVR108 drive.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:41 pm

Are they worth it Birddog??? :lol:
I'm thinking of getting one of these.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:49 pm

Yes & No

Yes: It's faster coz it's 8x (Sony) + 16x (Pioneer), double space for storage, great unit. Pioneer cost $170.00 and Sony 8x cost $140.00 inc. GST

No: Blank media is around $11.00 each for dual layer, not economical in comparison with single layer disc in pricing/ mb, and only available made by Verbatim.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:02 am

$11/disc dual layer?! Ouch... I would have thought things would drop by now. I'm still using good old CDRW media - since my CF card is 512, it's like 1 CD per full CF.
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:14 am

and the CDR's cost 35c (TDK Gold 70min/is that 650 Mb? I think so)

If a dual layer DVD holds, say, 9gig, and costs $11

That means DVD 11.9 c per Mb
CDR 5.4 c per Mb

I realise there are issues of convenience and storage, but at the moment the DVD option is still expensive.

Also, I would rather archive stuff regularly that have to wait until I have 9 gig worth.

But, no doubt, we will all have dual layer DVD burners before too long.

Greg
Greg B

DVD's

Postby Killakoala on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:35 pm

I'm using an LG GSA-4040B single layer DVD burner for now until the elusive Dual Layer media becomes affordable. (Should be sometime after Xmas)

DVD Manufacturers are slowly phasing out single layer production and ramping up for dual layer production so we will see a big drop in price very soon. Also CD-R manufacturers are phasing out CD-R production completely so expect to see them disappearing off the shelves before you can say 'I think i might buy a DVD burner now, my BETAMAX is showing it's age'.

Keep an eye out on http://www.cdfreaks.com for regular updates on DVD's if you are interested.

(Also of note is that Blu-Ray recorders will be available next year as maunfacturers of Blue Laser Diodes are preparing for mass production of this laser. Blu Ray DVD will have a capacity in excess of 26.5Gb compared with DVD+R Dual Layer which is 8.5Gb. Blank Media for BluRay will compare favourably with DVD-/+R)

Blue lasers PLUS Red lasers will give you a Burgundy laser. :idea:

Sorry for being 'Geeky'.

Steve
Killakoala

A little off topic but..

Postby Geoff on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:40 pm

can anyone recommend a good program that will enable me to put my best mate's wedding which I filmed (with digital video cam)..onto DVD/S...I need something that will enable me to have the option to put the entire wedding, probably onto at least 3 physical DV discs...I have tried pinnacle to no avail..and my mate and more so his fiance are very keen to see it, now that the wedding was nine months ago. I got the file onto the hdd (it was MASSIVE)...but had awful problems from hdd to dvd mpeg etc...I'm a complete novice and since then the hdd was reformatted so I'm at the 'capture' stage again..I'm nearly at the stage of getting a quote and giving it to them professionally done as a one year anniversary present....but i'd rather do it myself. Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is too off topic!?
Geoff

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:13 am

I've got a Pioneer 108.
What Birddog fails to mention about these drives is that, even though they burn at 16x, try finding some 16x media.
I haven't been able to get the Pioneer to overburn, mind you, but if it can, you can theoretically burn slower medium at faster speeds.
Also, 12x is faster than 16x (plus, the bonus of 16x being filled with errors).

Mitsubishi also make DL media, apparently, but seeing as they're both over 10 bucks a pop, I'll wait to test it out until the price reduces.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:04 am

Nnnnsic wrote:What Birddog fails to mention about these drives is that, even though they burn at 16x, try finding some 16x media.
I haven't been able to get the Pioneer to overburn, mind you, but if it can, you can theoretically burn slower medium at faster speeds.

Nnnsic
That's right, I ordered about 200 disc for customers but they are not due yet.
[/quote]Also, 12x is faster than 16x (plus, the bonus of 16x being filled with errors).[/quote]

I don't have problem with errors, I use Verbatim + Mitsubishi DVD+R/ DL, TDK Armour Plates and Sony DVD- or + blank media. I don't use Princo, Laser and other brands so i have no experience with errors, and they're fast on those name brand blank medias
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Equipment Reviews