lifting mirror

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

lifting mirror

Postby Slaggie on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:24 pm

In my reading of D70 specs I have never seen anything about being able to lift the mirror before taking a shot. I used to do that a lot if using a tripod. On another thread here I just saw a short sentence that said that you could lift the mirror with a menu setting. If true, this removes the only thing I wished the D70 had.
Geo. :-)
Slaggie

Postby birddog114 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:29 pm

Do you mean MLU? Mirror Lock Up?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:31 pm

Or are you talking about Bulb mode (which the D70 also does)?
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:50 pm

Geo, no mirror lock up. The item on the menu is for sensor cleaning.
Glen

Postby lukeo on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:41 pm

Someone else can probably answer you better, as said by others the MLU feature is for cleaning, I do believe you can set the shutter for a 30 second exposure via the camera menu, which is quite a long time unless you are doing some extreme night photography (astronomy). I believe it also has a bulb setting whereby if you use the ML-3 remote you can trigger the shutter to stay open for an almost indefinite amount of time.

This is from dpchallenge

"you need to choose remote shutter release option first, then set the shutter to bulb (Manual only). click the remote once to open the shutter, once again to close the shutter. If you don't click to close the shutter, it will stay open for thirty minutes (which is pretty good for star trails, for example)"

http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?ac ... _ID=148189
lukeo

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:06 pm

Yraen, MLU is used with long lenses, telescopes and other things I have no idea about to stop the slap of the mirror moving up vibrating the camera body, lens, etc. Eg compose shot through viewfinder, lock mirror up (nothing visible through viewfinder) wait while camera settles,shutter opens. 8)

edited to reflect Chris' much better explanation
Last edited by Glen on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm

To add to what Glen has said the moment you push the shutter button in a camera with MLU the mirror flips up and settles before the shutter opens and then closes. A good analogy would be the preflash on the SB800
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Paul on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:13 pm

On the note about mirror slap when you remotly fire the shutter on night shots, could you do what they did in the old days and place a black card in front of the lens but not quite touching then release the mirror through the romote then take away your black card.
Or I'm I way of course here? :?
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:14 pm

Paul wrote:On the note about mirror slap when you remotly fire the shutter on night shots, could you do what they did in the old days and place a black card in front of the lens but not quite touching then release the mirror through the romote then take away your black card.
Or I'm I way of course here? :?

Paul - you are correct in what you say but under the normal circumstances of long night exposures the millisecond of slap will make no difference to the final result
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:16 pm

Paul,

Yes, that would certainly work.

Geo,

As others have said, the MLU menu function is only to aid you in cleaning the camera's sensor. Their is no pre-exposure MLU functionality on the D70.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby horstflotow on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:26 pm

[quote="gstark"]Paul,

Yes, that would certainly work.

Geo,

As others have said, the MLU menu function is only to aid you in cleaning the camera's sensor. Their is no pre-exposure MLU functionality on the D70.[/quote]

Is this MLU a software function that anyone has been able to "modify" to allow a picture to be taken after the MLU? It would be useful when taking pics through a telescope.

Horst
horstflotow

Postby MattC on Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:14 pm

If mirror and shutter are mechanically linked, which I suspect they are, I suggest that MLU shots would not be possible, unless the electronic shutter could be utilised.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby horstflotow on Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:23 pm

[quote="MattC"]If mirror and shutter are mechanically linked, which I suspect they are, I suggest that MLU shots would not be possible, unless the electronic shutter could be utilised.

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

I'm under the impression that the D70 uses an electronic shutter above a certain shutter speed, so perhaps it would be possible with some of the higher shutter speeds to "modify" the MLU to allow pictures. Just a thought.

Regards

Horst
horstflotow

Postby MattC on Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:02 pm

Horst, True and maybe. There may or may not be other mechanical or electronic limitations which will prevent MLU shots through a firmware hack. Simple fact of the matter is that the d70 is an entry level dSLR. At this level it is necessary to give up something to gain something else. All up the d70 is a fairly well rounded package. I can understand why there such an effort to hack the 300D (there are a lot of hidden/disabled functions to be had), but so far there is no evidence that Nikon is holding out on us with the D70. Maybe we will see a few improvements as the d70 nears the end of its life cycle.
This is a subject that has been discussed extensively in other forums, and the reality is that we are no closer to a solution. Unless Nikon decides to offer a firmware update that includes MLU, I think we will be stuck forever more with what we have. Personally, I do not have a problem with this. When I get to the point of needing MLU, ISO 100, more megapixels, vertical grip with command dials (I wont buy one unless it does have command dials), .... I will probably go out and buy the D100 replacement or a D2X.
The D70 may not be suitable for astronomy, and other types of work where MLU is critical. For those who are into astronomy I would suggest looking elsewhere instead of buying a d70 and wishing, hoping and waiting.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Return to Equipment Reviews