Question about the D40x

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Question about the D40x

Postby bago100 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:50 pm

My Dad is thinking of buying a D40 because he has old Nikkormat film camera and some Nikon lenses. He happened to read an article in the Daily Telegraph dated 20 June 2007 that said the D40 has the ability to accept older mechanical lenses.

Specifically Dad has a Nikkor H auto 1:2 f= 50mm and a micro Nikkor auto 1:3.5 f=55mm lenses and used to enjoy close up photography.

He is asking me questions and I'm absolutely clueless about this.

Is there anyone who has experience with either this camera or using mechanical lenses on this camera this who can give advice?

Also, should he buy a D40 or a D40x or perhaps something else?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Re: Question about the D40x

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:03 pm

bago100 wrote:My Dad is thinking of buying a D40 because he has old Nikkormat film camera and some Nikon lenses. He happened to read an article in the Daily Telegraph dated 20 June 2007 that said the D40 has the ability to accept older mechanical lenses.

Graham,

Either your dad misread, or the Tele misreported (and I'll be willing to bet that your dad did not misread) but the D40 has very little ability to accept older mechanical lenses. The D200 is where that capability commences, but even so, a Nikkormat predates the implementation of AI technology, and that is the extent of the backwards compatibility.

If his lenses are AI compatible (look at the aluminium foot on the lens above the aperture numbering - it should have cutouts on either side of the slot - then they're somewhat usable on a D200 or D2x, but if not ....

That said, the D40 and D40x are great cameras with a superb user interface, and even with the kit lens, they're a great way for your dad to be brought into the world of digital SLRs.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby losfp on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:07 pm

Interestingly, I read somewhere that apparently the D40 and D40x will actually accept pre-AI lenses without damage to the mount. Obviously all metering and focusing are manul still.....

Can't quite remember where I found it.. anyone else heard that one?
losfp

Postby jamesw on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:29 pm

losfp wrote:Interestingly, I read somewhere that apparently the D40 and D40x will actually accept pre-AI lenses without damage to the mount. Obviously all metering and focusing are manul still.....

Can't quite remember where I found it.. anyone else heard that one?

do you actually mean pre-ai,

or ai / ai-s?

unfortunately i do not have much to add to this from experience, although i was of the belief that ai/ai-s will MOUNT but they will not METER.

edit: the official word from nikon

Compatible Lenses*1:
Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor: 1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported; 2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus;
3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus;
4) Other AF Nikkor*1/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II;
5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster;
6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby Yi-P on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:11 pm

The D40 can mount AI and AI-S lenses, but it will function like a manual camera with no metering. You have to guess the exposure through manual modes.

With AF lenses (Non-AFS), you are able to meter through the lens but will still need to focus manually. That is almost all AF-Nikkor primes at the moment...

If that answers your question in a short form... :roll:
Yi-P

Postby bago100 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply

Using old lenses on new technology cameras is not as simple as it seems.

I guess if Dad decides to buy a D40 or D40x, it would be best if he didn't get his hopes up about using his old lenses. If they work, and more importantly, work well, then that would be a bonus.

Cheers and thanks again

Graham
bago100

Postby shakey on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:10 am

Don't forget that you can get a very good judge of exposure with the AI lenses by checking the histogram...Way better than just guessing. If your dad is shooting landscapes or other static views then he can shoot, check the histogam, adjust the speed/aperture and shoot again. What I do with manual lenses on the D70.
shakey

Re: Question about the D40x

Postby aim54x on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:06 am

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/NikonLens.pdf

according that that chart, the D40/40X is compatible with AI lenses. but they wont meter
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Equipment Reviews