Photoshop - What are Academic Editions/Versions?....

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Photoshop - What are Academic Editions/Versions?....

Postby Stolky on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:25 am

Hi, 8)

This is my first post.

Sorry in advance to those who know already, or if I've posted in the wrong section (...I don't have the RIGHT to post in the Computers/ I.T section yet...), but can anyone help me out on the above question?

Are there any differences between a Commercial/Retail version and an Academic Edition/Version in software content for Photoshop..??? If yes, then WHAT??? :?:

Anyone have any ALREADY INSTALLED copies of PS CS3/UPGRADE that they want to sell me?

Thanks, :D

Stolky
Stolky

Postby Oneputt on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:17 am

This edition is no different to other versions, what is different is the price, which is only offered to students who can prove enrollment in a relevant course.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby smac on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:37 am

I have purchased two Apple IMacs, Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop at education prices and only had to provide my son's University ID card. There was no requirement to be in a relevant course.

Stuart
'Tis better to have loved and lust than never to have lust at all.
smac

Re: Photoshop - What are Academic Editions/Versions?....

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:02 am

Hi Stolky, and welcome.

Stolky wrote:(...I don't have the RIGHT to post in the Computers/ I.T section yet...)

And that is by design. You need to read the FAQ.

As both John and Stuart have said, there is special pricing for members of academic institutions. This may apply to software, and in some cases, hardware.

If you have a student or a teacher in the family, you may be entitled to receive this discount. The product is usually the same, although we have seen minor differences in branding in some circumstances.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:27 am

You get a slightly different splash screen and it might stick something in the EXIF, but that's a "might".

I've only heard of that possibility occurring on academic versions of Dreamweaver and Flash and I doubt it would.

Otherwise, they're identical.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Gordon on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:You get a slightly different splash screen and it might stick something in the EXIF, but that's a "might".
Otherwise, they're identical.

Identical except you are not supposed to use the academic versions for commercial purposes... so they may well stick something in the EXIF to trace this.... but that is just my speculation.
D70, D200, CP5700
Gordon

Postby Yi-P on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Yep, it is for "non-commercial" purposes only. but to how far they can cover this, is a big question.
Last edited by Yi-P on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yi-P

Postby ATJ on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:33 pm

Is that ethical, if you are not a student?

Would people here be happy to sell their photos at a huge discount if the company you were doing it for simply flashed a student card?
ATJ

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:06 pm

Well, if you use it for commercial reasons as a company, technically the Business Software Association or whatever exists similar to that in your country can come down on you.

Mind you, I've worked at places that used them. For rich people, they were exceedingly cheap...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to Equipment Reviews