Tethered shooting

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tethered shooting

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:16 pm

I have just been experimenting with Nikon Camera Control Pro and tethered shooting. It works brilliantly but it got me to thinking about a cheaper alternative and came up with this for $14.99US.

http://www.toneupstudio.com/

It works with all current Nikon models (and past) PLUS Canon, Sony, Olympus, Leica, Konica Minolta and Pentax.

So if you want to get into tethered shooting and think the Nikon CCP is too expensive, there is an alternative.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:42 pm

thanks, I think this will come in handy. I just got a wireless grip for my D200, trying to get the FTP going, and once connected, might be a goer!
Oz_Beachside

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Chris,
I recently bought Capture 4 to get tethered shooting, but I was sent NX instead. Had they asked I would have said to send me CCP & keep the change. As it is, I am P.O'ed

Does TUS3 have the same (or equivalent) camera control that CCP has. I have played with it too & agree that it's brilliant.
From reading the website, it appears that TUS3 can only go click, not alter settings such as shutter speed, aperture etc.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi Greg - it would appear that the answer is no. I have not used this program as I am on a Mac and the tethered shooting part is for Vista and XP only (I think).

My thoughts were that it was a cheap way of tethered shooting - CCP is just brilliant :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:48 pm

I confirmed with the developer. Here is his reply:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, ToneUp can only fire the shutter and not adjust the actual camera settings.
<Snip>

Hope that helps

Todd
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby jdear on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:33 am

Canon EOS utility (ships with canon cameras) and Adobe Lightroom work well together for tethered - create a watched folder for EOS utility to shoot images into and LR automatically imports, applies conversion settings etc... Great for checking focus and getting feedback with - Ill be using it for a makeup shoot im doing soon.

Still not quite 14.99. but the EOS utility lets you change ISO, WB, Aperture, Shutter speed etc from the laptop.

Jonathan
jdear

Postby marcotrov on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:36 pm

Any ideas on where best to buy the USB extended cable for tethered shooting, knowing that signal strength tends to diminish over distance
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby dviv on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:31 pm

Any computer shop can do USB cables. You can go up to 5m and it will always work (according to the USB spec). Anything more is luck.
dviv

Return to Equipment Reviews