Sandisk Extreme Reader and Extreme IV's

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sandisk Extreme Reader and Extreme IV's

Postby Nathan Rodger on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi everyone,
So I did search and found some related topics - however nothing specifically on these. I must say that whilst $100 is a lot of money for a reader - it is the second best investment in I've made in my workflow ever. (the first being Lightroom).

The Extreme Reader in combination with the Extreme IV cards are a force to be reckoned with in terms of speed of download to your system. Even on FW400/1394a the read speed is phenomenal. As an example - on FW400 I transferred 3.21Gb of images from one of the Extreme IV cards from my last wedding - in 1min 54sec. Approx 3120mb/114sec in total = 28mb/sec.... On Firewire 400 NOT FW800... In my books that is FAST...

I could not recommend them more highly- I picked up 4x 4Gb Extreme IV's and the Extreme Reader all from Stu at Quality Camera, paid for the cards on thrusday at 5pm Sydney time - had them in my hot little hands the very next day at 8am Sydney time (from Perth). No I don't get referrals, discounts or commission - but that type of service is excellent.

Anyway - I'm wrapped with my latest $1000 investment in my business, great stuff.

Cheers, Nathan.
Nathan Rodger

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks Nathan for the review
Glen

Firewire reader - BEWARE

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:16 pm

I bought a firewire reader, but had very different results.
Yes it works great on a 6 (FW400) or 9 (FW800) pin firewire port, but if , as I do, you have a 4 pin firewire port, they don't work at all.

I did the research after I bought the item :oops: ,
but it turns out that the 4 pin firewire is a FW400 port MINUS the power wires in the cable. As the reader is an unpowered device, of course it doesn't work.

As part of my belated FW research, I discovered tht a lot of Mac notebooks also have 4 pin FW slots. I suspect these won't work either.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Re: Firewire reader - BEWARE

Postby DaveB on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:As part of my belated FW research, I discovered tht a lot of Mac notebooks also have 4 pin FW slots. I suspect these won't work either.

Huh? No Apple device uses the 4-pin version of the FW port: they all have 6-pin ports with power.
Most non-Apple laptops with FW only have the 4-pin version (which Sony calls i-Link).

Devices such as video cameras which supply their own power often use the 4-pin version to save on space, but card readers and external 2.5" drives typically don't have their own power. Some of those have extra cables to steal 5V power from a spare USB port.
DaveB

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:52 pm

As part of my belated FW research, I discovered that a lot of Mac notebooks also have 4 pin FW slots. I suspect these won't work either.

Huh? No Apple device uses the 4-pin version of the FW port: they all have 6-pin ports with power.

:oops: Damn I seem to have got that wrong.
I was looking at a lot of notebooks the other day, and thought I was looking at Macs when I noticed some were 4 pin. I went back to the same site & checked again. Either I misread Firewire 400 as 4 pin, or I was looking at some other brand thinking they were Macs.

My apologies to the Mac world.

When I go to Boston in a couple of weeks, I may well buy a new notebook there rather than lug my current desktop replacement. I will be at or over the 20Kg limit on the way over as I will be carrying more than 10Kg in tools.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby foonji on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:24 pm

ay, macbook has 6pin :)
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Return to Equipment Reviews