Lowepro Slingshot 300AW

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lowepro Slingshot 300AW

Postby bwhinnen on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 pm

After going into Ted's in Brisbane last week to look at a monopod I ended up putting my name down for a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW upon finding out the price! I picked it up yesterday and had a quick chance to move some items over from the Lowepro Mini Trekker that was holding the D70 and D200.

You can click on any of the thumbnails for a larger image.

Size difference

You can see the size difference in the photo below. The Slingshot is larger, it is wide enough to be able to hold a 70-200 f2.8 lens mounted to a Pro body. I would almost say that the internal dimensions of the main section are comparable to the internal size of the Mini Trekker.

How does it feel crossing one shoulder?

Empty it feels very comfortable and can be made to sit very low on the back. Full, well full by my current standards it weighs in at about 3.5 - 4kg. That includes the D200 and grip, the 18-70, the 70-200, the TC 1.7, two spare batteries, blower, power cord, USB cable, battery charger, manual, sunscreen, high vis vest and so on.

Even in this configuration it still feels comfortable, I can see that the waist belt will be used when carrying it for extended periods fully loaded, however I don't see this happening that often as I usually have the camera out.

You can see the shoulder strap with its wide padding and waist belt in the photo below.

Top Section

The top section is surprisingly roomy. There is enough room to stick a couple of flash units, a spare camera body (no lens attached) or a few muchies for a long day shooting. The later being what I will use it for in addition to the sunscreen, rain poncho and other items already in there.

Front Section

The front section expands a little, but those familiar with any Lowepro backpack will recognise all the little areas in here. Space for the manual and other special resources, business cards, a pen and so on.

Main Section

As I mentioned earlier the main section is quite large. There is room for up to a pro body with 70-200f2.8 attached and six additional lenses! All this with the usual Lowepro movable velcro dividers! Currently I have this set up to hold the D200 with grip and 70-200 f2.8 attached, the 18-70 kit lens, spare batteries, charger, TC 1.7 and a few other goodies.

For those wondering, adding the TC 1.7 to this will still fit in, JUST. It is a squeeze and the bag is not really designed for the additional strain it will place on zippers, but it will fit.

Access Panel

By far the biggest bonus to this bag and the Slingshot series is the access panel or side panel. With the bag slung over the shoulder you can easily swing it around to access this panel, and from within you can draw out the camera ready to go. All without taking the bag off of your back! This is the main reason I bought it, to be able to put the camera away easily.

Incorporated into the top of the access panel is a CF card holder pouch, this is another nice little option for those that want easy access to put them away and out of pockets.

Conclusion

While I have not field trialled the bag yet, first impressions are that it will do the job I require. It will be comfortable to carry on my back / shoulder and allow easy access to the kit I readily need when shooting. The biggest drawback for some people will be the fact that there is no where to attach a tripod. This doesn't worry me too much as my primary use is not hiking but walking around a motorsport track. The usual Lowepro attachments are available and rigging up a monopod attachment will be very easy (when I buy one that is).

I would also like each of the zippers on the top and front sections to be double zippers rather than a single as I like this feature more. This is just a niggle though.

Overall I am impressed with the design of the bag and its features. There is a AW cover included with the bag, although I have not shown it, stores away in a dedicated velcro closed pouch at the back. Not sure how weatherproof it will be as it seems to be the usual spray jacket type of material, nothing scotch guard waterproofing can't fix :)

For me a well spent $129.95.
bwhinnen

Postby phillipb on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Thanks for the report Brett, I've bought this bag as well for the same reasons as you.
I've gone one step further, I've set it up so that the 80-200 2.8 and the sigma 10-20 are on either side of the centre compartment, with the kit lens attached to the body. The way I've set it up, I can swap any of those lenses without putting the bag down. I'll post a picture later to show you what I'm talking about.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby MATT on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Phillip, If you could post a pic later of yours that would be great. Bret thanks for your pics..

I bought the Slingshot 200AW but it will not hold my D200 with grip. So i need to make sure I have the "Right" bag before buying another..

Brett is there room for a flash also??

Cheers
MATT
MATT

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Brett, thanks for the great review
Glen

Postby Yi-P on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:23 pm

How much was the price you guys got it for? It seems very handy and useful bag!
Yi-P

Postby bwhinnen on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:25 pm

MATT wrote:Phillip, If you could post a pic later of yours that would be great. Bret thanks for your pics..

I bought the Slingshot 200AW but it will not hold my D200 with grip. So i need to make sure I have the "Right" bag before buying another..

Brett is there room for a flash also??

Cheers
MATT

Plenty of room for a flash in the main section depending on how many lenses you have or in the top section. The top section is extremely roomy.
bwhinnen

Postby bwhinnen on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Yi-P wrote:How much was the price you guys got it for? It seems very handy and useful bag!

As I mentioned right at the bottom, a well spent $129.95. I was very surprised with this price too, the cheapest previous price I had was about $169 + shipping from quality camera. To ship in from OS was around the $190 + mark.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby Yi-P on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Brett, you should post this up on http://www.cambags.com they still don't have one with a Nikon body in :)
Yi-P

Postby phillipb on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:44 pm

OK, the first photo shows my set up with the side open, 80-200 on left, 10-20- on right and either a TC or 50mm on top of the 10-20

This photo shows the top view of the bag opened.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby firsty on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:50 pm

MATT wrote:I bought the Slingshot 200AW but it will not hold my D200 with grip. So i need to make sure I have the "Right" bag before buying another..
Cheers
MATT

Matt my D200+grip fits fine
turn your D200 90 deg so that the base of the camera is towards the base of slingshot 200AW when on your back
firsty

Return to Equipment Reviews