Oh Bugger! Sb-80DX

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Oh Bugger! Sb-80DX

Postby MHD on Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:37 pm

I though by buying a SB-80DX for my coolpix a year ago I would be future proofing... Just read that you can not do TTL with this unit and the D70.... (D-TTL (flash) vrs I-TTL (camera))

Anyone use the SB-80DX on A mode with the D70? Decent results?
MHD

Postby Onyx on Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:43 am

I think the results would be much better than xTTL - A mode (or AA mode) means no pre flash as the flash unit handles flash metering and not the camera. No closed eye/blinking problems as widely reported with iTTL. From my experience with the SB800 in A mode, daytime fill flash seems a little bright and in need of negative compensation - which is 1 area IMHO the TTL-BL mode excells.

I don't think you need to upgrade from the SB80DX - it's featureful and has almost all that the sb800 has, aside from wireless flash capabilities.
Onyx

SB-80DX

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:21 am

I have the SB-80DX and 2 x SB800.
I upgrade the SB-80DX from 28DX when I first got my D100, worked Ok but not great in D-TTL, you have to experience in some fields to make the SB-80DX quite near the excellent in fill flash, slow sync and few others.
Once the SB-800 was out, I had the same ideas: no need to upgrade, but after I tried my friend's SB-800, then I bought two of them and the SB-80Dx is now my spare. eventhought I shoot with the SB800 +D100 in TTL not i-TTL, more easy to get what you want in manual, aperture, special of its recycling time with the 5th battery. The i-TTL in the new Cam is miles far better than the D-TLL of D1 series and D100.
If there's another one new release next week at Photokina, Nikon has got something in the new guy to improve their CLS with all their new Cams. Remember: all the Nikon speedlight works with the D70, D100, D2H but restricted with the old models in some modes.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Return to Equipment Reviews