Think Tank Photo Gear

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Think Tank Photo Gear

Postby losfp on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 pm

I think I have spent more of the last couple of months lusting over the entire contents of the TTP website than I have over the lenses in the bargain section here (now that is SERIOUS).

Has anyone had any experience with their stuff? As they don't have any Aussie suppliers yet, I'm afraid I will have to resort to the usual blind-purchase.

I first started having a squizz at their site when Thom Hogan reviewed a bunch of bags and gave the Think Tank Airport Antidote a big rap - http://bythom.com/bags.htm

Seemed very clever to me - deep enough to hold a D200 with grip, and a removable laptop case that gets stuffed into a pocket on the outside. Would certainly address issues that I had with my Lowepro Computrekker AW. Pricey too, $200 USD plus shipping.

I've also had a look at their belt systems. Now apparently I am a bit of a camera bag whore because I've recently sold 2 bags on the forums, and yet I still have 3, plus an excellent photo vest from Vested Interest, plus a few parts of a Lowepro belt system already. So why would I want to start yet ANOTHER belt system? They just have a few nice touches - you can attach the pouches so that they rotate freely around the belt, or lock into place. They have a brilliant looking long lens case that facilitates quick changes (you stick the lens with hood facing up, and it secures with a zip up the side). Apparently the padding is thinner and you can even remove the padding completely from some of the pouches (a problem I have with the lowepro cases is they are so damn bulky!)

Now to top it off, they have just released a new range of toploaders (again, very clever. They have an expandable length so that you can fit in whatever length lens you like) and shoulder bags. Now, I don't normally like shoulder bags, but these are... again.... rather clever. The bags are thin because the body doesn't have to be stuck in face down attached to a lens. The body goes into an expandable pocket on the front which flattens down when you're shooting so it doesn't take up extra space. Obviously it will get uncomfortable if you start carting lots of gear around, but I can totally see myself getting one of the 3 smaller shoulder bags for the times when I only need a lens or two, and want a small, inconspicuous bag.

So if anyone has any experience with think tank's bags, I'd love to hear your take on them, before I crack and order one of everything from their site ;) I think I may even love camera bags slightly more than looking for the perfect lens. It could be a sickness of some kind....

They can be found at http://thinktankphoto.com/index.html
losfp

Return to Equipment Reviews