.Mac v SmugMug v Flickr Pro

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

.Mac v SmugMug v Flickr Pro

Postby Laurie on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:37 am

I am fairly sick of .Mac now. with iWeb constantly giving errors of not being able to publish the page and the fact that if i want to edit or upload one page it will 'create' all the pages (which takes at least 30mins) and then uploads that page (which then takes another 10-20 minutes depending on internet speeds & page size)

.Mac accounts are $100 and all i am using it for is the iWeb feature.
The part i love about iWeb is that i can have everything set out in pages nice and ordered.

I have been considering SmugMug of Flickr Pro.

I like that with SmugMug you can have 'galleries' or something similar.
Flickr doesnt appear to have these and instead has streams (i think) for different 'photo shoots'

Without knowing too much about either of them i am asking members who use SmugMug or Flickr Pro.

I know with Flickr there is a iPhoto plugin to upload directly from iPhoto, i like this, and find it easier than going to the site, clicking upload and selecting photos. the plugin has since expired and i wont be buying it unless i get a flickr pro account. I find that clicking the upload and browsing for each file is tedious and limited. there may be an easier enhanced way with a pro account.

I would love to know if an iPhoto plugin exists for SmugMug, or how a whole photo shoot (or gallery is uploaded).

If i do choose to go with SmugMug, the person that convinces me most to get an account i will use their SmugMug Discount code ;)

Thanks Guys
Laurie

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:50 am

Smugmug all the way - code for use w9YHUB0a9eTMU :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Jonesy on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:09 pm

There are a few different ways to upload with smugmug. single files to entire folders depending on which uploader you use.

I notice that there is a dedicated mac/iphoto uploader but being a pc user (wanting a mac) I can't tell you what is like. Other wise the "Recommended uploader" works fine for me when i upload. Sometimes that can be up to 100 photos at a time.
Personaly I resize my photos before uploading, and dont use them for any of the printing or back up features they offer.

I have a pro account and love it. I have also customized my site, changed the look and style, on which there is plenty of help in the smugmug/dgrin forums. And with pro you can use your own domain name (http://www.imagesbyjonesy.com)

You can also have personal watermarks added or taken off, change and sort your galleries and linking your pics for posting is very simple. Maybe check out the dgrin forum http://www.dgrin.com/ as there maybe some more answers in there to help you make your mind up

Cheers

Jonesy
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby ozimax on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Have used smugmug for a couple of years and no problems whatsoever.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby DanielA on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:32 pm

I haven't used the others sites, but I would also recommend Smugmug. (My code: CeUgpKk460Ad2)
You don't have to go right to the Pro account. I use the Power account so I can change the look and feel. You may be happy with the Standard account (US$39.95/year).
You could also look at Pbase, but I went with Smugmug because of the unlimited amount of photos you can upload.

My site: http://dsa.smugmug.com

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Hudo on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Smugmug gets my vote http://www.hudcomm.smugmug.com

Mark
Hudo

Postby Killakoala on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:00 pm

Smugmug here too. I find flickr to be very slow.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Laurie on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:14 pm

after finding the iphoto uploader i have decided to go with SmugMug.

The 'winner' will receive a PM from me for their code, however i will not be using it until my .mac account runs out, which should be soonish.

thanks guys.
Laurie

Postby ekynox on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Dont know if this is too late but try taking a look at zenfolio.com. The interface is very professional and easy to use.
ekynox

Return to Equipment Reviews