Inkless Printing!!

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Inkless Printing!!

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:31 pm

Interesting find Chris, wonder if it will catch on
Glen

Postby adam on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:54 pm

So instead of buying ink consumables and normal (any) photo paper, you just buy their special paper! They say the printer is smaller, so there's also less to carry - don't have to carry spare ink and spare paper - just the paper! Interesting idea.

However for my needs, I think I'll continue to stick with the shops :)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Geoff on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Interesting find Chris. How did u happen to stumble upon this? Lots of potential there by the looks of it.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:24 pm

This looks to be a variation of the current heat printing technology, such as you might see at your supermarket, in the printing of your receipts.

The problem with a heat activated process is exactly that - it's heat activated. So, what happens if you leave your prints in the car on a warm day? I know what happens to other heat printed documents, and it's not pretty.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 pm

gstark wrote:This looks to be a variation of the current heat printing technology, such as you might see at your supermarket, in the printing of your receipts.

The problem with a heat activated process is exactly that - it's heat activated. So, what happens if you leave your prints in the car on a warm day? I know what happens to other heat printed documents, and it's not pretty.

Simple, you don’t :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Hmm I can just imagine the price of the "special" paper.. :roll:
If it's anything like the prices that genuine Canon ink cartridges charge me then I'll still be using my Pro Lab I use until the distant future.

5 off Canon "6" cartridges at $25 each = $125, I can buy a brand new printer at this cost! :evil:
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby rooboy on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Looks like dye sublimation but with no C/M/Y/Laminate ribbon - these are built into the paper. Dye sub is very expensive as is, I don't want to think about what Zink would charge.

My work uses some of the best dye sub printers around for event photography. The results are crap compared to a good chemical print - but then again, a 5x7 takes 10 seconds, and will last decades :wink:. Unless you really need speed, inkjets and chemical prints are vastly superior, and I can't see how this technology will change anything here. Buy a decent Epson, or better yet, go to the nearest lab with a Frontier or Moto machine :D
So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all!
rooboy

Postby fishafotos on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:56 pm

it's the new generation of polariod, minus the costs. http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/30/zink ... -gadgetry/
Nikon D80, MB-D80, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, SB-800, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
Various bits of borrowed/stolen glass/speedlights etc. - zero style or taste.

http://harryfisherphotos.smugmug.com
fishafotos

Return to Equipment Reviews