Tripods Choice

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tripods Choice

Postby Laurie on Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:53 pm

Guys,

I've been looking at getting a new Tripod, and the 2 that are in the bargins sections confuse me. I can not find them on the Benro site.
the only time i can find them is when I look up the the Ball Head KB-3 (it says that the ball head is suitable with: C-297 etc. (http://www.benro.cn/Product/2/kb3.html)
What I want to work out is what is the difference between C-297 & C-298
From what i understand the C-298 is 4 sections which means the middle 'arm or leg' comes out and can be manipulated around much like an arm, good for product shoots and strange angles.

The C-297 has 3 section, which as i see it means the middle arm doesnt move. good for portraits, landscapes.
I just found the product page for C-297 at http://www.benro.cn/Product/1/c297.html
and it says that the KB-2 is the only ballhead (in the bargins section) that fits the C-297.
The C-298 page can be found at: http://www.benro.cn/Product/1/c298.html

Basically what i want to know is: Does the C-298 work with a ballhead, if so what model (i am guessing KB-3??)
Is it necessary to use a ballhead at all?

Im leaning more towards the C-298N6 with the KB-2/3 ballhead if they can be attached.

Thanks for Comments Guys
Appreciate it!
Laurie

Postby Oscar on Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Laurie, I have the 4 section Benro. The sections are the no of extensions in the legs. I have the KB-2 ballhead which I find OK. This head has a slot to enable the camera to sit in portrait mode or the normal landscape made. It is quite a sturdy t/pod.

Cheers, Mick :) :) :)
Oscar

Postby Oscar on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Laurie, I have the C-228. On this model the centre column can be inverted - but does not have a sideways mount like some of the Manfrottos. Inverting just enables getting the camera lower - say for macro stuff.

Cheers, Mick :) :) :)
Oscar

Postby Kyle on Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:41 pm

I have a C297F and KS-2 and I swear by it :)

Worth every dollar, and now i've used a real ballhead, i won't go back :)
Kyle

Re: Tripods Choice

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Laurie,

Laurie wrote:From what i understand the C-298 is 4 sections which means the middle 'arm or leg' comes out and can be manipulated around much like an arm, good for product shoots and strange angles.

No.

The sections refers to the number of sections that are in each leg, typically 3 or 4.

The range of movement of the centre column is a different thing altogether, and does not have any direct bearing on the stability of the 'pod. The newer Benros, which is what's listed on this site, have the removable/manipulatable centre column.

Any of the ballheads listed here will work with any of the tripods we list. While you don;t need a ballhead, you will need some sort of a head - the alternate is a ban or pan-tilt head.

If you want to get serious with your tripod, then the best advice is to not skimp in any area here: if you do, you'll end up with almost as many tripods as you have camera bags.

The reality is that with careful purchasing, you only need to buy just the one, which is the one ('pod + head) you really think you want to buy now, but you're resisting because it's just that little bot more than you want to spend right now.

The problem is that if you don't buy it now, you'll spend $150 less on a grossly inferior solution today, and then go and spend a bit more on a better, but still inferior, solution in six months time, and then, finally, in a year, you'll buy the correct unit (what you should have bought in the first place) but you'll have spent 250% more that you should have along the way, and you'll still only have one tripod and head that you'll ever use.

As a general comment, most heads from any manufacturer will fit most tripods from any manufacturer.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:49 pm

Laurie,

have a look here on the benro site:
http://www.benro.cn/Product/1/pa5.html

They are part of their HVC line.

I have a C127 and love it. As Gary said, save your pennies and buy a good one, it will stay with you for a long time.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Laurie on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:35 pm

I do want to get a good one, after buying a $90 cheapie where the mounting plate slides around, i want a very sturdy tripod.
I would prefer to get the tripod from this site, but if anyone has any suggestions on what tripod and where from.
i guess i would also want a ballhead.
Laurie

Postby Kyle on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:02 pm

If it helps you make up your mind, youre welcome to have a play with my benro tripod and head :)
Kyle

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Laurie,

What are you doing this Sunday arvo? Why not come along to our photomeet?

We should have our Manny along for the ride, and a quick look at the list of attendees suggests that a Benro or two will also be in attendance.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Reviews