Neck Straps & Where to Buy

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Neck Straps & Where to Buy

Postby Laurie on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi Guys,

What of the lowepro range is the best?
Are there any better?
Just for general walk around and functions.

And Where to buy (online) said necck strap.

Are hand grips worth a look?

Thanks Guys.
Laurie

Postby Yi-P on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:46 pm

I have a lowepro Neoprene neck-strap...

It feels good and comfy, materials are quite stretchy to spread out the weight of the heavy gears.

Bought it from quality camera online. About $40 shipped.

I believe the op-tech ones are wider, thicker and more comfortable for heavier stuffs.

I wrap my strap around my wrist to make it a 'hand-strap' :P It all depends on how you want to carry your camera around the neck, shoulder or in hands...
Yi-P

Postby daniel_r on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:58 pm

I've got both a Lowepro Voyager S neck/shoulder strap and the DSLRusers branded OpTech weight reduction strap.

I highly prefer the OpTech strap - it's much better than the lowepro. I'm doubtful about the strength of the clips on the Lowepro and it's abilty to safely hold a D2 series camera.
I have the Lowepro strap on the D70 as it seems much better suited to lighter lens/body combinations.

The Lowepro goes for around $30-40 in Teds and likewise. The D70Users/DSLRusers.com branded Optech was whatever the old going rate was here... I dunno if we're still going to do those or not... maybe Gary has something planned? If So, I'd probably pick up another to replace the Lowepro (and relegate it to the Canon TX film body :D )
D.
Daniel_R's Flickr gallery
I shoot with Nikon stuff.
daniel_r

Postby sheepie on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:20 pm

The Optech straps (not the D70 branded ones) are available on ebay - will look up the url for you tonight if no-one posts it before then. You'll get it for about $35AUS delivered, and it will probably arrive about a week after ordering (mine did anyway :) ).

Not sure if we'll get them branded again. Problem with that is someone has to foot the bill for the bulk order. Although if we have enough interest, we could get it off the ground :) I think we need about 50 to make it worthwhile.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby losfp on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:36 pm

Yep - the Op/Tech Pro Loop straps are the business.

You can also buy extra loop sections so you can attach them to your bags' shoulder straps etc, so you can detach the strap part and clip the ends to these other sections to take the weight off your neck.

I bought a D70 branded one way back when... and bought another for my D200 from ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/ProCameraGear

Mine cost about $30 including delivery
losfp

Postby radar on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:59 pm

Laurie,

I've also got the D70 branded one. There are a number of different optech straps and the one we all refer to as the D70 one is called the "Optech Pro Loop Strap" as illustrated at the link below.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=23

You can wear this for hours and still be confortable.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Laurie on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:21 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
I am unsure how the Pro Strap connects to the camera body.
Would it be more worth while getting the Pro Loops Strap?

//Edit: losfp: i dont understand how it attaches to the camera bag? can you elaborate or post so pics
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie

Postby shutterbug on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:36 pm

I highly recommend the Domke Gripper (1") Straps.
shutterbug

Postby Razor on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:07 pm

Slightly OT but I love my Nikon AH-4 hand strap... perfect to protect gear from falling but doesn't dangle in the way. Don't think I'd want to trade it for anything else...

I've replaced the original Nikon plastic screw base and replaced it with a Markins quick plate. Lovin it :)
Razor

Postby obzelite on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:11 pm

http://epicsoftware.com/news.php?news_id=21

i wanted to get a couple of these ones, i used to have a really neat one on my first slr.

he sells them on ebay as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tapestry-Camera-Str ... dZViewItem

and another one

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P ... traps.aspx
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby losfp on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Laurie wrote:
//Edit: losfp: i dont understand how it attaches to the camera bag? can you elaborate or post so pics

Well, the pro loop strap is like this:

[loop]===[clip]===[paddedstrap]===[clip]===[loop]

You attach the loops to your camera. You can then detach the padded strap part, and clip the short ends that are left together, and make a short hand-strap.

What you can ALSO do is buy extra short connectors, and attach their loops to D-rings on a bag shoulder strap, or on a photo vest etc. Then you clip the short ends all together, so the weight is hanging off your shoulders, not your neck.
losfp

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:43 pm

Razor wrote:Slightly OT but I love my Nikon AH-4 hand strap... perfect to protect gear from falling but doesn't dangle in the way. Don't think I'd want to trade it for anything else...

I've replaced the original Nikon plastic screw base and replaced it with a Markins quick plate. Lovin it :)

And these are available though our bargains section.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jdear on Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:44 am

the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap

I second, third this strap!

product link (BH) - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=170171&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

apart from camera / lense / memory its the singularly most important acessory I own. Bought 2x from B&H.

The strap has a weight reduction system built into it, really comfoy strap with a non-slip surface on it. The quick-disconnect connectors are great for quickly putting the strap on / off and if your getting tangled up with another camera in tow. It also stretches under the weight of your gear - probably why its so effective in weight reduction.

I gave one to a friend who was using a heavy EOS-1DMarkII + 70-200IS - makes such a difference carrying it around all day!

Allows me to comfortably carry my own 30d + grip + 70-200IS + mounted flash.

buy one!

Jonathan
jdear

Postby sheepie on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 pm

sheepie wrote:Not sure if we'll get them branded again. Problem with that is someone has to foot the bill for the bulk order. Although if we have enough interest, we could get it off the ground :) I think we need about 50 to make it worthwhile.

Have been thinking about this again over the last week or so - and wondering is there is any interest out there for a buy of these. Any takes? I reckon they'd come in around the $30-35AUD mark (including postage).

Is it worth posting an EOI thread?
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Now I have 2 cameras I'd consider another one Leon.
Alpha_7

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:30 pm

i have the stock canon one, never use straps tho :shock: it seems no matter how i attach it it always gets in the way and i either strangle myself or end up with strap in my pics :roll:
i'm keen on a new strap if it will stay as a strap and not a feature in my pics :lol:
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby johnd on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:59 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:Now I have 2 cameras I'd consider another one Leon.

What would you need a 3rd camera for Craig? :)
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby DaveB on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:05 pm

I have the Op/Tech straps on a lot of my gear. In fact I have the short connecting straps on most gear, and a couple of the padded shoulder strap bits which I swap around.

There are two important types of the connecting straps (which Op/Tech refers to as "System Connectors"):
  • 3/8" strap
    This is a standard nylon webbing type.
  • Pro loop
    This has the thinner flexible loop attachment.
There are some other types of connector, but these are the ones I recommend.
I have the 3/8" connectors on my CP-E3 flash power pack, and on the left side of my camera bodies. I have the Pro Loop connectors on the right side of my cameras (they don't get in the way of the shutter when I'm flipping the camera).

You can connect these System Connectors together to form a hand strap, or attach your choice of shoulder pad. Some examples:
  • Classic (I have a couple of these)
  • Super Classic (I have one of these) which has rubber studs for better grip
  • Pro (which I think was the one branded as D70Users)
  • Super Pro

Some people (including some copywriters at B&H!) have got confused with the "Pro" name for the shoulder strap and the "Pro Loop" name for the connectors because you can buy them packaged as the "Pro Loop shoulder strap". But you can get components individually, and swap them around as required.

Highly recommended as a system! I just wish they gripped your shoulder as well as the UpStrap.
DaveB

Postby Spooky on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:30 am

Hi guys

I have two of the D70 issue padded straps I think they are like the op/tech ones and they are great.

However I am after a similar strap that will allow me to hang the body at around waist height.

Anyone know of a longer strap I could get that would do the job or a longer connector than the 12" ones I have at the moment.

I have looked but can't find anything.

Thanks
Spooky

Re: Neck Straps & Where to Buy

Postby padey on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:00 am

Laurie wrote:Hi Guys,

What of the lowepro range is the best?
Are there any better?
Just for general walk around and functions.

And Where to buy (online) said necck strap.

Are hand grips worth a look?

Thanks Guys.

I've found the best OEM straps are the Nikon D2 straps. I've got a D2x strap one of my Mamiyas, and will be getting D2 straps for my Fujis.

I've never used an Op/Tech strap, so I can't compare.
Andrew

Canon make photocopiers and stick lenses on them....
padey

Postby fozzie on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:04 am

Spooky - I would recommend the Op/Tech Super Classic Strap - 3/8" (25"–51" or 63.5 cms - 129.5 cms).

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PR ... CT_SUB_ID=

I purchased mine from NatureScapes.Net as I was ordering other accessories at the time.

I am approximately 6' tall and with the camera on the strap, just falls short of my waist and is extremely comfortable :D

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Laurie on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:02 am

Spooky wrote:Hi guys

I have two of the D70 issue padded straps I think they are like the op/tech ones and they are great.

However I am after a similar strap that will allow me to hang the body at around waist height.

Anyone know of a longer strap I could get that would do the job or a longer connector than the 12" ones I have at the moment.

I have looked but can't find anything.

Thanks

I ended up buying a Op Tech Pro Strap. I am unsure on the combination but wanted to same thing as Spooky so i could hang the camera around waist height. I couldnt tell you off the top of my head which ones i bought, but basically i can have the camera sit on the small of my back which is perfect.
Laurie

Postby devilla101 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:57 pm

After reading this topic I went and purchased the op/tech pro strap. Hopefully this would make carrying the lens around my neck a bit more comfortable and less chafing than the Canon nylon ones.
devilla101

Postby moz on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:33 pm

I just bought a couple of the $20 generic neoprene straps from G&V in Sydney, no brand but come with plastic clips and work well. Way more comfortable than the stock Canon straps and cheep too. No problems so far.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Return to Equipment Reviews