Walk Around Lens

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Walk Around Lens

Postby Laurie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:26 pm

In probably April next year I am going to New York and want to make sure i have a nice walk around lens with me.
I have done a little amount of research but basically I won’t be getting the lens until close to the date of my departure.
I just want to prepare myself financially before leaving.
I had my eye on the 12 – 24mm but at f4 it is just too slow.
I then stumbled on the 17 – 35 mm f2.8 which sounds fantastic but is expensive.

If anyone has any other suggestions or perhaps I am completely out of the ball park in terms on length (or width?)

Thank you.
_Laurie
Laurie

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:31 pm

if the 17-35 is out of your budget, consider the sigma or tamron equivalents (focal length wise...optically u can't beat the nikon 17-35)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Laurie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:40 pm

well the hope is that by the time im ready to fly i will have enough money saved :)
Laurie

Postby ozczecho on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:44 pm

...as with most things, whats the budget? Then people can steer you to the "best" lens in your price range...
ozczecho

Postby Razor on Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:01 pm

I am considering to get

-Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR
-Sigma 30mm f/1.4 USM

I believe both make for good allrounders & travel lenses. Plus dropping either or having it stolen isn't quite as desasterous as it would be with the Nikkor 17-35mm.....
Razor

Postby Laurie on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 am

ozczecho: i would be working out my budget on what people suggest
Razor: since i will be in NY it might be a good idea to just pack lightly with lens'.
alright so my budget is around 1500$.
Laurie

Postby MATT on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:11 am

If you are traveling lite, Would the 50 in you sig. be enough?? Let your feet do the Zooming.

MATT
MATT

Postby Yi-P on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:11 am

Laurie wrote:Razor: since i will be in NY it might be a good idea to just pack lightly with lens'.
alright so my budget is around 1500$.

The 17-35 IS NOT light!!

Best travel lens kit I can think of is a Nikkor 18-200VR. This lens is bit 'expensive' and 'slow'. But its an unmatching flexibility vs quality you can get out from a zoom lens.

Considering the range it covers, you will need at least 2 zooms to get this range, that is 18-70 and 70-300 (considering of 'budget'). And packing two zoom is not really a light kit to carry around.

The 18-200 weights ~560g, adding a digital body and a flash unit gets you under <2kg total weight. Definately a very light kit to carry around towns.

It is better to wander around New York City with a smaller lens and camera than a bigger/heavier one. You will be less suspecious and draw less attention from the public and law enforcers.

My suggestion for a travel kit is a flexible zoom, fast prime, and a flash unit. Adding them together roughly about 2kg weight, not too heavy at all to carry around on your bag.

And also, you havent told us what type of photo or what do you expect to use the lens(es) on.
Yi-P

Re: Walk Around Lens

Postby losfp on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28 am

Laurie wrote:I had my eye on the 12 – 24mm but at f4 it is just too slow.

Laurie, is there any reason why you say it's too slow? At 12mm, you can handhold at 1/20 easily, and depth of field is huge for 12mm anyway.

If I could only pack one lens for travelling, I'd always go for my 12-24.

IMO for travelling, the priorities are different - hell, I'm even considering an 18-200 to use as a travelling lens ;)
losfp

Postby adam on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:34 am

They can all make your wallet lighter :)

How about the Nikon 18-70 (kit lens?), it's got a nice range and not heavy
or the 28-105 in your sig.? Using something you've already got saves money:)
But since you are going New York, why not check everything out at the B&H Photo Video New York Superstore?!!?! :D:D:D
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:20 pm

Laurie,
What focal range do you think you will want ?
Will you want to:
- be as inconspicuous as possible and take lots of "street-photography" shots ?
- be like the average tourist and take general holiday snaps of everything & anything ?
- have the ability to zoom into things that are impossible to walk closer to ?
- have money left over from your $1500 budget ?

Depending on how you want to shoot and what type of images you're interested in taking, will dictate what type of lens to go for. If you won't be shooting many images in low light, there's no need to worry about a lens being too slow, IMHO.
Also, you will use this lens upon your return so whatever lens you get should be one you want.....not one everyone else says you should get.

Think about what it is you want to shoot and when you decide, this should narrow down the spectrum of lenses to choose from.

It might also be a good idea to allocate a portion of that $1500 to travel insurance (if you haven't already allocated it from elsewhere).
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Laurie on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:49 pm

MATT wrote:If you are traveling lite, Would the 50 in you sig. be enough?? Let your feet do the Zooming.

Not wide enough? I might not be able to move back far enough to get all the subject in the frame.

Yi-P wrote:--SNIP--

Yi-P, while I think I should have worded the post you quoted a little better I think you misunderstood. When I said lightly I meant take lots of lenses but perhaps only take one lens out at a time with me. Wasn’t necessarily talking about weight. But what you posted I wasn’t even considering, and is now at the back of my mind, thanks for brining it to my attention. I am hoping that I don’t get a bad back from carrying heavy lenses everywhere!

I did not consider the “terrorist” look I might be conveying either, I just hope I don’t get detained for questioning my NYPD!

losfp wrote:--SNIP--

While I am assuming I’ll be outdoors a lot of the time, will the f4 be fast enough for shaded or overcast days (perhaps some photos to persuade me)? What is the build quality and as Yi-P said, weight like?

adam wrote:--SNIP--

I might visit the B&H Store right after the Manhattan Apple Store!! I also have a budget for spending while I am over there. Unless something jumps out and smacks me in the face with a low price I probably won’t be buying anything expensive or bulky
The 28-105 is ok, but won’t f3.5 too slow (like the f4?)

Aussie Dave wrote:--SNIP--

I pretty much want to be a tourist. Mainly street photography.
I will also have to think about travel insurance.

Thanks for all the comments guys; I am leaning towards the 17-35mm and 12-24mm

_Laurie
Laurie

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Laurie, even on overcast days it will still be ok to have f3.5 or f4. Don't forget that even though the lens is f2.8, you'll probably want to stop it down to at least f4 to get some decent DOF. If it's too low, then increase the ISO.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:42 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Laurie, even on overcast days it will still be ok to have f3.5 or f4. Don't forget that even though the lens is f2.8, you'll probably want to stop it down to at least f4 to get some decent DOF. If it's too low, then increase the ISO.

You can also utilise your SB800, as well as bumping up the ISO (should this be required).
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Laurie on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:10 pm

good point PiroPitch.

Aussie Dave, how would the SB800 make any difference outside?
Laurie

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:25 pm

Laurie wrote:Aussie Dave, how would the SB800 make any difference outside?

That all depends on what you are shooting. Obviously it's not going to help you for a wide-angle landscape shot, however you could use it to light foreground objects, or even wirelessly (by using the onboard flash in commander mode) by setting the unit further away from you (or have someone hold it - if you are travelling with someone else). Just watch out someone doesn't run past and run off with it :wink:

Of course, this is all going to be relative to the situation....but one should not equate the use of a flash as just an "indoors" lighting tool. The flash can be very effective outside, just as it is inside.

Remember, to gain correct exposure (whatever that may be for a given situation), you need the right amount of light. If lighting levels are too low, and you cannot compromise shutter speed, aperture or ISO, you need to add more light.....even outside during the day !
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Return to Equipment Reviews