radio triggers for studio flash

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

radio triggers for studio flash

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi

anyone use trustworthy radio triggers? I dont like the idea of connecting a $30 piece of junk to my gear, wondering if there were any opionions in here, on;

1. Bowens Triggers (dear at about $700 to set up)
2. Pocket Wizard http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=441353&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
3. others? Nikon?

I need radio, not line of sight type.

Has anyone purchased from BHphoto?

thanks
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby Paul on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:27 pm

I have no experience with any of these apart from the excellant Nikon CLS.
But from all reports and web reviews I have read the pocket wizards are the way to go.
Check out the Strobist blog which give you a better idea.
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:30 pm

I've heard only good things about the pocket wizards but I don't have any personal experience with them (but I'd love too!).
Alpha_7

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:02 pm

i'm looking into these as well. Can't go wrong with pocket wizards as they've set the bar pretty high.

I'm looking into this one which can be had for fairly cheap. No complaints so far yet....
http://dslrblog.com/blog/chris-garrett/ ... ves-review
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Raskill on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:03 pm

I've used B&H Photo a few times. Always nice and fast. I think they offer a choice of shipper, which is good.

I've ordered on a Monday and had the goods the following Monday. Pretty good considering it was a US public holiday when I ordered :oops: :roll:

I'd recommend them.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby rooboy on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:10 pm

What sort of lighting set-up is it that you can't use the optical triggers on the strobes, with the first fired either by a PC cable or the onboard flash?

You mentioned the Bowens radio triggers, I know that the optical trigger on the Bowens monoblocs is very good, and doesn't need much light to fire, i.e. it is very sensitive.

Other than that, everyone who has used Pocketwizards raves about them so they can't be all bad :)
So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all!
rooboy

Postby beetleboy on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:26 pm

We use little IR triggers in the studio but they retail for about $300 a pop! Not sure of the brand either so not much help here!

Have heard only good things and very good things about Pocket Wizards and if I was in the market for such a device I wouldn't think twice about buying them!
beetleboy

Postby Yi-P on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:35 pm

I've heard some great stories from the Pocket Wizzard regarding its range and flexibility.

B&H is very fast and reliable, bought from them plenty of times, all of them are 100% satisfaction. Recommended choice if not available in any cheaper offer.
Yi-P

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:43 pm

I thought optical triggers don't work if you don't have direct line of sight? So if your flash is around the corner or obstructed by an object, it may not fire.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Antsl on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:54 pm

I bought a Quantam Radio Slave off B+H about fifteen years ago and I have been using the same unit ever since... it is part of my location kit. The unit is a little bit dated now by mere virtue that some units are smaller in size now, the unit works well though and I have even placed it inside a helicopter to illuminate the interior from the ground while it is in flight.
Antsl

Postby adam on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:51 pm

Something I'm not sure about the pocketwizard - I've been looking at them for a while - on Ebay, the transeiver, you buy that and put it on your camera, then need to buy another component to connect to your flash units? or does it come with something to connect it to your flash unit?
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Wocka on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:56 am

I have just bought a set of those radio triggers from Gadget Infinity last week http://stores.ebay.com/Gadget-Infinity_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm.
I expect them to arrive on Wednesday. 1 x trigger and 2 x remotes for $60 AUD.

I also bought a Canon 580ex from an Ebay store in HK, that should arrive today.

From my research I have heard there is an issue with the Canon 430ex and these triggers, and sometimes the 580ex. But there are plenty of people in front of me that have sorted out the issues to make them work.

I can't wait.
Cheers,
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby digitor on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 am

Wocka wrote:I have just bought a set of those radio triggers from Gadget Infinity last week http://stores.ebay.com/Gadget-Infinity_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm.
I expect them to arrive on Wednesday. 1 x trigger and 2 x remotes for $60 AUD.

I've had my eye on these for a couple of weeks - I'll be interested to hear your opinion on their performance. Please post a review whan you get a chance!

I've heard mixed reports about other cheapy wireless triggers, but have not seen any reviews of these ones.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Wocka on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:27 pm

My 580ex just arrived on my desk (paid Wednesday, posted Thursday arrived Monday).

Hopefully the wireless triggers will be here by Wednesday as they were posted from HK on Friday.

On the weekend I could be able to try out these triggers and will report back on how they work. Hopefully I won't have the same issues as others have reported about these triggers.

Cheers,
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby big pix on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:29 pm

I have these units and used then professionaly for a number of years, in this time 3 out of 5 have been back for minor service, these 3 were purchased second hand, but the service was done in very quick time....... expensive, but anything good is always expensive......

http://www.users.bigpond.com/sderatz/
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby redline on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:44 pm

i've had no problems with pocket wizards,
checkout this thread for in car pics
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=21876
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:50 pm

PiroStitch wrote:I thought optical triggers don't work if you don't have direct line of sight? So if your flash is around the corner or obstructed by an object, it may not fire.

Thats exactly it. Will only fire if the light is visible, and strong enough. If my lights are outside, and through a window, the flash onboard a D70s may not trigger it, but radio comms go "through" walls. And much greqt distance outside.

Say when shooting outdoors, in sunlight, and I want to use 200mm lens, I may need to be 30m away from subject... triggers like the bowens I think reach about 100m (more than I imagine I need).
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:52 pm

adam wrote:Something I'm not sure about the pocketwizard - I've been looking at them for a while - on Ebay, the transeiver, you buy that and put it on your camera, then need to buy another component to connect to your flash units? or does it come with something to connect it to your flash unit?

I think its a tranmitter and receiver (2 pieces, which may be technically the same things, just one set to tranmit, the other to receive). At least thats the way the bowens ones are set.
Oz_Beachside

Return to Equipment Reviews