D200 Batt Grip MB-D200

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D200 Batt Grip MB-D200

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:54 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have, or has demo'd the D200's vertical/battery grip?

Does it look and feel like the D200 side grip? Wondering if it has the same kind of dimensions, and is it lined with the same type of rubber?

Wondering if the D200 with the Grip, would provide a similar vertical grip to say that of an out of reach D2x? Or perhaps the D1x?

Thanks
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby obzelite on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:58 pm

i have one, but cant really say how it compares to anything else aprt from the D2X when i had a play with one in japan, and then it feels very similar, but also bigger.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby beetleboy on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:10 pm

Have and love.

Some people like to whinge about it but I think it rocks. I actually find it sits in my hand (vertically) nicer than the D2x and EOS 1Ds.
beetleboy

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:11 pm

Oz_Beachside

Postby Justin on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:55 pm

Yeah love it. Got it, put it on, haven't taken it off. it's even fine on the tripod despite some reviews I've read.

Only thing I find is in vertical (holding in right hand) the viewfinder is very low I keep wanting to look through the ae-lock button :roll:
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby beetleboy on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:56 pm

I actually like the fact that the viewfinder ends up sitting low cos your nose can then stick out beyond the camera! If you're right-eyed that is!
beetleboy

Postby shaunus on Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:11 pm

my only question is, where to get a grip? also one of those hard to come by extra battery
you get what you get, always learn from the mistakes
shaunus

Postby beetleboy on Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:12 pm

Hong Kong.
beetleboy

Postby gstark on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:08 am

shaunus wrote:my only question is, where to get a grip? also one of those hard to come by extra battery

Look at our bargains section perhaps? :)

Nikon MB-D200 $230.00
Nikon EN-EL3e $65.00

Including delivery
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 am

Oz, I have one - I have sent you a PM
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Geoff on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:13 am

Have it, use it love it! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:15 am

Geoff wrote:Have it, use it love it! :)

What are you talking about Geoff :wink: :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:23 am

We've had our battery grip for about 5 months and love it. The beauty is that we can take it off if we want to be more discrete or need to reduce the size of the whole thing.

The funny thing was that my wife had the habit of turning the camera clockwise to take verticals (out of habit) and I had to remind her to use the vertical shutter release button on the grip. I guess that wasn't really funny, probably more a waste of the 5 seconds it took for you to read it, so I apologise.

P
Reschsmooth

Postby meicw on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:05 pm

I have the grip as well. I like it. IMHO it makes holding the camera easier. Of course, there is the big advantage of being able to use 6 AA batteries if the main battery runs out. But, as has been said, if you are used to holding the camera vertically with the viewfinder on the RHS, it does take a while to get used the viewfinder being lower on the LHS. :)

Regards
meicw
meicw

Postby losfp on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:10 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
The funny thing was that my wife had the habit of turning the camera clockwise to take verticals (out of habit) and I had to remind her to use the vertical shutter release button on the grip. I guess that wasn't really funny, probably more a waste of the 5 seconds it took for you to read it, so I apologise.

Not as funny as you think. A lot of people turn it that way as it doesn't really make a difference with compact cameras - in fact, turning it clockwise is IMO a little less awkward when holding a compact one-handed. :)
losfp

Postby Yi-P on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:47 pm

I find it turning the cam clockwise gives better elbow support as I can tuck in both elbows together...

turning it to the LHS is quicker, but I find my view shakes more than having it on the RHS :roll:
Yi-P

Postby Onyx on Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:46 am

Since this is the review section, here's my opinionated review of the vertical grip - which I've acquired recently.

Features
The grip itself is functionally useful. First of all, it allows the use of 1 or 2 EN-EL3e batteries - preserving full support in the camera menu for battery life status independently. It also allows the use of 6x AA cells to power the camera. I believe Nikon wanted this as a last resort - as they disabled the battery info menu option in the camera when AA's are installed, making it not as useful to judge remaining battery life (all that's left is the top LCD battery indicator).

The additional shutter release for the vertical orientation is complimented by a main and sub command dials and an AF button. There's also a swivel 'lock' switch in the same fashion as the on/off switch on the camera, which is akin to a power switch for the vertical grip buttons. It amazes me that these buttons offer full integration with the body. I won't take it for granted, for this is a point where I can boast of Nikon's superiority in ergonomics - along with their superiority in exposure metering system (matrix with 1005 segment RGB sensor), superior flash metering (iTTL with abundant wireless options), superior resolution (cf. Rorslett on Naturfotograf; Reichmann on Luminous Landscape, et al), and ultimately superior image quality when pitted up against their electronics giant competitor. But I digress...

Build
All plastic fantastic. With the battery compartment empty, it lacks the robust feel of the D200 magnesium body. With batteries loaded, the extra mass contributes to a more solid gripping experience. The rubber texture on the grip is marginally inferior in feel to the one on the body.

The grip itself is well engineer. In order to install the grip, one has to remove the battery door cover from the D200 body. The MB-D200 has cleverly included a compartment to stow away this door cover securely and rattle free, instead of having to ponder whether to keep the detached door in one's camera bag, or with the camera box at home, or with the box for the vertical grip, or with the spare batteries/memory cards, etc.

I would describe its build quality as equivalent to Nikon's plastic bodied cameras, eg. the D70. Nothing inherently wrong, but not in the same league as a metal bodied camera (man these things are tight - I can't wait to drop test my D200!).

Integration with the D200
It makes no sense to talk of the vertical grip without mention of its only purpose - and that is to be fitted to the D200 camera.

On the one hand - the D200 was purpose designed as a minature D2X, with 90% the capabilities at 50% of the cost. Hence it makes sense to keep it small and relatively compact sized. IMHO installing the grip compromises the camera's intended design philosophy with the added size and bulk - making it larger than a D2 body!

But on the other hand, I have founded the D200 to have a relatively poor battery life compared to the ever superb D70, and the additional power options afforded by the grip would make it infinitely more useable. The added physical size to the camera makes it more comfortable in my large hands too. Others have talked of greater balance with long/large/heavier lenses. I personally have not found the D200 ill-balanced without the grip.

I bought one for my D200, just because it wasn't available for the D70... so I thought I'd see what I was missing. Now the camera unit won't fit in my existing bags! ;) I guess I'll have to go bag shopping next week!
Onyx

Postby Dargan on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:20 pm

An additional note on the MB-D200 battery use, for those who do not have it. If both batteries are fully charged it uses the LHS battery as you look at it when the battery door is open first and if one is partially charged it will use that first regardless of position. Tranfer of power between exhausted batteries is seamless. Thanks for the note on storage of the battery cover Onyx, it made me go back and read Thoms notes on this clever addition to the D200. I alternate between use of it but as my hands are large it fits comfortably in my grip, I think it is a good addition to anyones kit especially when extended use over the course of a day is planned. I give it a :up:
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Return to Equipment Reviews