La Crosse BC-900 Battery Charger

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

La Crosse BC-900 Battery Charger

Postby johndec on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:03 am

A week or two ago I noticed a post on another forum talking about the BC-900 battery charger. Everyone was raving about it, so being a techno-geek, I just had to have one. :lol: It arrived a couple of days ago and I got it from here . Well, in a nutshell, if this isn't the Rolls Royce of chargers, I don't know what is.

As well as the usual charge and discharge functions (user selectable from 200mAh to 1800mAh) it has a Refresh setting that will repeatably charge and discharge batteries, all the time monitoring them until they reach their peak state. But the best bit is the Test function will actually charge-discharge-recharge your battery and inform you of it's capacity (once again at a user selectable rate). Each charging bay is independant so I can mix and match batteries and charge modes as well as charge rates at will.. Geek Heaven :!:

So for I've only had a chance to test one set of "rated" 2500mAh batteries. The results are disappointing in that they tested at an average of only 1934mAh. They hadn't had the Refresh applied to them, so I'll do that before I point the finger at any particular brand. Mind you they are less than 12 months old and have only been recharged perhaps 10 times. I'll refresh and test all my AA batteries and post a "Battery Shootout" in a couple of weeks.

Verdict: A do-all charger. Want a slow charger that looks after your batteries? This does it. In a hurry and want rapid recharge? It can do that too. Want to know if the big numbers manufacturers put on the side bare any resemblance to reality? This baby will tell you the truth!
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby losfp on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:07 am

It's a shame it can only do 4 batteries at a time (I think? just by quickly scanning that linked page)... I have 2 4-bay quick chargers, and they are a real pain when I have 2x5 AAs for my SB800 :(
losfp

Postby johndec on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:15 am

losfp wrote:It's a shame it can only do 4 batteries at a time (I think? just by quickly scanning that linked page)... I have 2 4-bay quick chargers, and they are a real pain when I have 2x5 AAs for my SB800 :(

Yeah, that 5th battery can be a real PITA!! But the beauty of knowing the individual capacities of your batteries mean that you can put your best 5 in the SB-800 and have the other 5 as your backup set.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Michael on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:29 am

I should get one of these!
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby wendellt on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:38 am

this one is good as well
and you can charge 1 battery at a time or all 4 in 30mins up to 2500mah

charger

Fixed by Glen, Wendell :wink:
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby johndec on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:19 pm

It sure does Wendell, but if you had posted:

This one looks good too.

It wouldn't have reformatted the page and made it hard to read. :lol:
johndec

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:21 pm

I have the Powertech, Jaycar cat# MB-3512
For 1-10 Pcs AAAAA
Why should I use charger with 4 batteries, my SB800s, each requires 5 batteries at once.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby beetleboy on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Me too birddog..

It's slow and makes a weird ticking noise but damn it's good!!

I'm gonna buy a set of 6 rechargeables when my D200 arrives so i can use them as backup for either the camera OR a second backup for the SB800!
beetleboy

Postby Glen on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:38 pm

John, looks very impressive and well priced too. I have to ask, can it do a D200 battery? Or don't you know yet?
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:42 pm

beetleboy wrote:Me too birddog..

It's slow and makes a weird ticking noise but damn it's good!!

I'm gonna buy a set of 6 rechargeables when my D200 arrives so i can use them as backup for either the camera OR a second backup for the SB800!

It's slow and help batteries last, don't you worry too much!

weird ticking noise? I like it, it reminds me the batteries are on the charger and forget them not :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby beetleboy on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:43 pm

I like that birddog! Never thought of it that way!!
beetleboy

Postby johndec on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:04 pm

Glen wrote:John, looks very impressive and well priced too. I have to ask, can it do a D200 battery? Or don't you know yet?

It can if you buy an MB200 vertical grip.. :wink:
johndec

Postby beetleboy on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:38 pm

Oh yeh..sorry I forgot to mention that! I have an MBD200! And no, it doesn't fit in the D70 no matter how hard you try.....trust me!!!! :roll:
beetleboy

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:59 am

beetleboy wrote:Oh yeh..sorry I forgot to mention that! I have an MBD200! And no, it doesn't fit in the D70 no matter how hard you try.....trust me!!!! :roll:

Get some tools as grinder, cutter and DIY, it'll fit :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby DaveB on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:29 am

I've had the LaCrosse charger for a couple of months now, and love it also! The fact that the AC adapter for it is multi-voltage is nice when travelling, although sorting out a good 12V -> 3V(3A) adapter would also be convenient for my car/boat work.

I don't see what the problem with charging "only" a maximum of 4 batteries is, except for having to swap batteries every now and then. As an individual battery finishes you can replace it with another one and set its charge level independently from the others still charging...
Travelling in Africa recently I had 24 AAs to keep charged and it was no problem. As it turned out I rarely charged all of them at once, although 16 in one night was not unusual (e.g. every 4 nights or so: 8 in the flash power pack partly charged, and 8 fairly flat).
DaveB

Re: La Crosse BC-900 Battery Charger

Postby greencardigan on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:34 am

johndec wrote:Verdict: A do-all charger.

For AA's and AAA's.

I might be wanting too much but I'd like a charger that could charge any size/combination of NiMH/NiCad, Li-Ion, Li-Poly, SLA.

I'm over having a big box full of different chargers.
greencardigan

Postby johndec on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Well then if you want it all you need the Rezap 883 charger . :lol: Charges AAAA,AAA,AA,C,D,N,9V,Lantern 6V, etc. Will charge Ni-CD, Ni-MH, primary alkaline and rechargable alkaline and will probably make you a cup of coffee in the morning.. :shock:

Yes, I've got one of them as well, I'm a charger geek. :o
johndec

Postby whiz on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:00 pm

Maybe you should try out one of these chargers then..
http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_ ... harger.htm
People put way too much rubbish in signature blocks.

whiz

Postby moz on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Any idea where to buy one? Thomas Distributing is out of stock and the Amazon spammers have polluted the search results to the point where I don't think anyone sells it except that one place on Amazon :( I'm reluctant to buy from spammers, especially with a 3-5 week delivery time.

Thomas-Distributing link
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

BC-900 scok

Postby servaasproducts on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 am

LaCrosse will have another 10,000 of these BC-900 coming into stock this month., so you should be able to get them from Thomas again soon. Everyone has been out of stock for several months.

We are working with LaCrosse to bring these into Australia but they do not yet meet the Australian C-Tick approvals.
servaasproducts

Return to Equipment Reviews