ReallyRightStuff

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

ReallyRightStuff

Postby Onyx on Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:03 pm

D70 L-brackets:
I think their only competitor is Kirk. At least for the D70 model. These are camera specific cast aluminium (or aluminum for American readers) brackets in the shape of an L, affixed to the tripod mount of your camera to enable easy switching between horizontal and vertical mounting on tripods compatible with the Arc-Swiss dovetail quick release clamp system.

One surprise is its very lightweight. It's also designed to allow access to the DC in, video out, and USB connectors - covered by the rubber doors, on the left side of the D70. It also does not interfere with the left eyelet for the neckstrap.

It fits very firm and steady as expected of something with its pricetag (RRP ~$US140 + shipping). It's secured to the base tripod mount by a hex screw, so you'd have to bring along a suitable sized allen key in the field to be able to put it on or take it off while shooting. I guess it's intended to be a permanent fixture to your camera. It adds perceived bulk, considerably more so on cameras like the D2H with a fixed vertical grip than on the comparably lightweight DSLR like the D70.

It gives you the photographer more options for vertical panorama work (for instance) than if you were to tilt your D70 vertically on any ballhead (the axis of rotation would then be off centre - making it difficult for pano stitching).

(insert picture here that I forgot to take - of the D70 L bracket mounted on a tripod) ;) Just imagine it...
Last edited by Onyx on Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onyx

Postby Onyx on Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:35 am

B87 flash arm:

This pic shows the whole setup: with SB800 flash mounted on top, Nikon SC-28 flash sync cord connects it to the camera's hotshoe (retaining full iTTL functionality) The B-87 is the big C thing you see half surrounding the 70-200 lens. The flash is able to move freely within the arc, with 'notches' at 45 degree increments.

The bracket is mounted to the tripod collar of the lens here (note: you'll need the RRS dovetail attachement to the lens collar).

If you're using it in conjunction with a wide angle lens or a lens without a tripod collar, the flash arm could also be mounted on the camera's L bracket as shown.
Onyx

Postby fozzie on Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:42 pm

I was just on the 'RRS' website and noted the following reduction from 4 TO 6 WEEK DELAY to:

BH-55 Pro, $415
2 TO 3 WEEK DELAY
CALL TO PLACE BACKORDER

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:44 pm

fozzie wrote:I was just on the 'RRS' website and noted the following reduction from 4 TO 6 WEEK DELAY to:

BH-55 Pro, $415
2 TO 3 WEEK DELAY
CALL TO PLACE BACKORDER

Cheers,

Get yourself one of them and you'll never regret!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:46 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
fozzie wrote:I was just on the 'RRS' website and noted the following reduction from 4 TO 6 WEEK DELAY to:

BH-55 Pro, $415
2 TO 3 WEEK DELAY
CALL TO PLACE BACKORDER

Cheers,

I want to get a three week delay!

Maybe I can on-sell them to the bank ?

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:53 pm

Birddog,

Birddog114 wrote:

BH-55 Pro, $415
2 TO 3 WEEK DELAY
CALL TO PLACE BACKORDER

Cheers,

I am more than happy with my 'Markins' M-20 + TB-30. Althought I will have a look at your BH-55 Pro next Friday.

Have you opened the Gold and Black box with the 'D2x' in it, and put everyone out of there misery :?: .

Goodbye for now,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby kipper on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:12 pm

The only time I'll get a BH-55Pro is if I get a D2X and 200-400VR or the Sigma 300-800. When that's possible, $600AU for a new head will be like small change.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby huynhie on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:36 pm

I think my BH-55 came in today after waiting approx 2 weeks.
huynhie

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:37 pm

huynhie wrote:I think my BH-55 came in today after waiting approx 2 weeks.

You're still here,not in Mel yet?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:38 pm

No in Melbourne at the moment, but still using Sydney Proxy.

Guess what, It's very sunny and clear at the moment not like Sydney :D
huynhie

Postby huynhie on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:40 pm

Thats why I think the RRS package has come in. It's addressed to my Sydney Office address.
huynhie

Return to Equipment Reviews