Avalon International Airshow (Mel, Vic)

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Avalon International Airshow (Mel, Vic)

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:03 am

15-20 March 2005 at Avalon, Geelong Vic

http://www.airshow.net.au/index2.html
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby kipper on Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:54 am

Ok I'll repost here, there appears to be two threads talking about this.
kipper

Postby kipper on Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:55 am

I don't believe the last Avalon Airshow had it on display but this coming one will I believe be displaying the JSF.

There are displays from Friday afternoon, all day Saturday and Sunday.
The Friday afternoon display will go into the evening and will be topped off with the Night Alight Finale. So it might be an interesting shoot.
kipper

Postby dooda on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:06 pm

Hey birdie,

Ever thought to come to the Abbotsford Airshow in BC? I went last year and it was terrific! I think that you should come on out for that. I got some pretty neat pics, but I was using film, and the film happened to be old so I didn't end up getting really good pictures. This next year I'm going to be there for sure!
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby birddog114 on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:43 pm

kipper,
The JSF at Avalon airshow, perhaps your dream! but I want to see it too, I flew down every Avalon Airshow onboard a Qantas flight every two years at Avalon (same day return), it's courtesy of Boeing US with entry pass from Boeing to get into Boeing camp at the show and access to the Grand stand.
This time I'll have my 200-400 or my 300VR onboard as well.

dooda,
I'm the fan of Oshkosh and the Blue Angel same as USAF Thunderbird and went there every two years as well, friend of mine asked me to go to Abbotsford Airshow in BC last year, but could not make it, perhaps next year.
Last edited by birddog114 on Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:12 pm

I would give my left nut to go to one of these shows.
I have dreamt about it from a small boy.
It will happen one day.

VR comes first ATM :mrgreen:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby BBJ on Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:23 pm

Avalon, Humm yeh well went couple of times ago was good show. Only a bit hot in the old caravan as we camped there for the weekend.
Me being an RC Aircraft Nutter. I love aerobatic planes as well and wlel if anyone ineterested in these i have a shed full of gear, LOl and some for sale as well. our club here has gone to the dogs a bit, but the 1 that takes up most room is a scale model of a su26 rusian Sukhoi Aerobatic plane with a 30cc engine all new.
Anyhow must get there again 1 day when we can afford a VR lens. LOL
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Greg B on Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:10 pm

BBJ, one of my "when I retire" things is to get an RC plane. I went to a display when I was about 13 or 14 or so (While I was walking to it listening to my new transistor radio, I heard Lady Madonna for the first time. Some things, you just don't forget).

It was an incredible day, those planes were sensational. And no doubt, things have progressed a long was since the mid sixties.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby kipper on Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:43 pm

Greg B, bugger retirement.....I'm 30 and I want one now!
kipper

Postby kipper on Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:10 pm

Out of interest, anybody bought the gold passes to this event?

one day package - $145
two day package - $245
etc
kipper

Postby Guy Smiley on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:23 pm

The JSF will be a full scale mock up.

It's a great airshow. I have been to all of the past shows, great photos if you're a plane nut like myself....but you need to have a nice big fast zoom (400mm +) for the flying stuff. You used to be able to buy a photographers pass at an extra premium which put you on the other side of the runway away from the crowds and closer to the display area, but this was probably scrapped post 9/11.

There is rarely anything new and exciting at this airshow if you have been to it before. It's been almost the same line-up at this airshow for the last 3 times. It looks like this years line-up hasn't changed much once again.

This time the organisers in one of their press releases were saying you will see the F-117 stealth fighter (which has never been seen in Australia before..but is nearing the end of its service life with the US air force) ...I'll believe it when I see it. Unfortunately the organisers have made lots of promises of things in the past that never eventuated like the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels. A case of the boy that cried wolf.

It was good when the Russians brought their stuff to show off, but sadly they don't come any more.

Having said all of that it is still worth going to!
Guy Smiley

Postby kipper on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:29 pm

Yeah I know what you mean Guy Smiley. I used to go to the airshows at Pt Cook. Went to about 2-3 of the airshows at Avalon. Was there when the Russians came to town. Saw the mad pilot land that big russian waterbomber sideways and skip it down the runway with like 0 tread on his wheels. Think he was down to canvas.
kipper

Postby r2160 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Why wait until you retire to fly a model airplane. It has never been more affordable.

http://www.maaa.asn.au

They have a club listing on there for you to find a club.

If you need any more help, just pm me

Glenn
I finally got one!
D70, 18-70, 70-300, 24-120 VR, SB800
r2160

Postby Deano on Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:01 am

Greg B wrote:BBJ, one of my "when I retire" things is to get an RC plane. I went to a display when I was about 13 or 14 or so (While I was walking to it listening to my new transistor radio, I heard Lady Madonna for the first time. Some things, you just don't forget).

It was an incredible day, those planes were sensational. And no doubt, things have progressed a long was since the mid sixties.

Greg,

I am into R/C planes as well. There is a club in Doncaster which fly's in Bullen Park. Check out http://www.dac.org.au I am an expired member due to my time in HK but plan to become a regular again next season.

Cheers
Dean
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

D2x | Nikkor 24-120vr & 50/1.8 | Sigma 12-24 & 24-70/2.8 & 70-200/2.8 | SB800 | Velbon 640CF Tripod w/ Markins M10 & RRS plates.
And then there's my Bag Collection... Sweeet....
;-)
Deano

Postby agriffiths on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:48 pm

I'm a self confessed plane freak! I went along on Sunday and setup the camera on Old Melbourne road, right in line with the runway. I found a small rise in the road that provided a view of the airport and didn't have to pay a cent (yeah yeah, tight arse I know) The best part was I didn't have to face the s**t fight that one experiences when attempting to leave the carpark at the end of the day.

We caught a fleeting glimps of the B52 as it arrived early, interupting the warbird dogfight. The guys in the car next to me had a hand held scanner that picked up the radio traffic between the pilots and tower. It was rather amusing to hear the B52 anounce themsleves to the tower with their call sign "Havoc". I felt sorry for the poor warbird guys that were promptly told to end their dogfight demo and land ASAP to make way for the yanks. They didn't even get a proper cheer from the crowd as they landed coz everyones eyes were fixed on the B52. I was later to find out that the B52 was based in Darwin and flew all the way to Melbourne for one flyby after which it was instructed to wait in a holding pattern (somewhere over Geelong) before doing one more flyby on the way through. It could have been a real highlight had they done a few turns over the airport... oh well. I'll post some pics soon!

I also build and fly R/C planes. It's a passion I've had since I can remember. Started with paper planes... progressed to balsa... then came the foam (EPP foam is unbreakable!)... now it's all fibreglass. I've been invited to a fly in for R/C Turbine jets in April. These things can reach 350km+ and if you're fast enough can make really good photographic subjects. Definately going to take the camera gear along and will post the shots as soon as I get back!

Here's a sneak peak...

http://www.voy-tech.net/Videos/other/rafale-f16.wmv

http://rcairgallery.com/pages/viewvideo.php?video=51&size=1&id=2f88518619fdc4f32363e0563340de8e

Deano:
I used to ride out to the Doncaster club all the time and just sit on the sidelines. Do you fly glider or powered?
I heard that they had an R/C turbine model of the F14 crash at the airshow over the weekend and that the guy who built it was from Doncaster. A real shame coz from all reports it was worth around $20,000. Imagine all the camera gear you could buy with that!
agriffiths

Postby Deano on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:56 pm

agriffiths wrote:Deano:
Do you fly glider or powered?

I fly electric - mostly glider. Havn't been down the field for about a year with one thing and another. It's about as easy to spend money on models as it is camera gear. I should take up origami - I hear paper is cheap.

Cheers
Dean
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

D2x | Nikkor 24-120vr & 50/1.8 | Sigma 12-24 & 24-70/2.8 & 70-200/2.8 | SB800 | Velbon 640CF Tripod w/ Markins M10 & RRS plates.
And then there's my Bag Collection... Sweeet....
;-)
Deano

Postby agriffiths on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:02 pm

he he, yeah but what else are we going to do with our rent money?
agriffiths

Return to Events