Can you capture aspects of Sydney Life?

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Can you capture aspects of Sydney Life?

Postby rjlhughes on Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:06 pm

The City is looking for keen photographers to enter the Sydney Life Photography Exhibition, a large-scale photographic display along the
Grand Central Walkway of Hyde Park North. The Exhibition is part of the City’s ART & ABOUT festival, 4-23 October. The prize of $5,000 will be awarded to the work judged most outstanding by a panel of distinguished judges. Submissions close on Tuesday 26 July 2005. For more information, visit http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au.
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjlhughes/
rjlhughes

Postby Wacky on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:25 pm

Yes, this is the better place, you are right.

So, some questions raised for this one.

Leek raised issue of image size...even at 72dpi, that a helluva image resolution you need!

Also, it appears you need to have an ABN as you need to issue a valid tax invoice if you are chosen as one of the 36 in order to be paid your $400...not sure whether you need to be registered for GST...

EDIT: Regarding image rescaling, Chris (sirhc55) posted this thread about PixelScale and Genuine Fractals....His image links are dead now, and I can't find a website for PixelScale...
Wacky

Postby rjlhughes on Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:04 pm

Good questions,

if you find out - let us know.....
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjlhughes/
rjlhughes

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:22 pm

One of my teachers got into the Art & About Hyde Park walk two years ago, and one of my mates got two pictures in last year.

Anyone can do it.

That said, a lot of what I'd call "work about Sydney" isn't usually what's in it.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:25 pm

As of last checking, Genuine Fractals does NOT work with CS2.0, any of the versions, so if you want to get them working, you have to go lower.

Extensis' SmartScale I have no idea as I don't use it.

However, if you can get your shot printed onto a slide format, from what I recall about how it works, you deliver the slide and an 8 x 10, they take care of the rest (if you win).
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:27 pm

Wacky wrote:Yes, this is the better place, you are right.

So, some questions raised for this one.

Leek raised issue of image size...even at 72dpi, that a helluva image resolution you need!

Also, it appears you need to have an ABN as you need to issue a valid tax invoice if you are chosen as one of the 36 in order to be paid your $400...not sure whether you need to be registered for GST...

EDIT: Regarding image rescaling, Chris (sirhc55) posted this thread about PixelScale and Genuine Fractals....His image links are dead now, and I can't find a website for PixelScale...

Here is the site:

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/creative_tools.jsp
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby rokkstar on Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:25 pm

That extensis plugin for CS works a treat.

I've been thinking aobut this topic all day and what to possibly start taking shots of. I had a look at last years winner and frankly, am a little surprised it won. There were some cracking other shots. I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me why the winning shot was so worthy.

I fancy entering, not sure about my chances, but you gotta be in it to win it.
Matt
rokkstar

Return to Events