Photo Imaging World 2005 - Brisbane

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Photo Imaging World 2005 - Brisbane

Postby xerubus on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:40 pm

Friday 13th May 2005 - 10.30am to 6pm

Saturday 14th May 2005 - 10.30am to 6pm

Sunday 15th May 2005 - 10.30am to 5pm

EQUIPMENT SHOW

The equipment exhibition will feature over 100 major photo and digital companies from Australia and overseas showcasing today’s cutting-edge developments and trends in imaging technology, software and output printing systems.

In addition to the equipment exhibition, the Global Gallery will feature a huge collection of photography and will feature some of Australia’s finest images.

CONFERENCES

Held concurrently with the show will be a series of conferences for professional photographers, digital image-makers and photo retailers. Photo retailers can obtain full information on their conference program by calling the Photo Marketing Association on (02) 9663 5880.

Lectures have been arranged by PICA for the Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP) and the Advertising, Commercial and Magazine Photographers’ Association, (ACMP), but all photographers are welcome.

PROFESSIONAL AWARDS

A special purpose built theatre on the exhibition floor will host the annual quest to find the Professional Photographer of the Year and the selection of the Australian Professional Photography Awards. The judging process will be done in open forum, so that anyone may come along and watch the process

EXHIBITION AND AWARD JUDGING ATTENDANCE FREE
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:41 pm

Does the D70Users.com or DSLRUSERS.COM have stands at this show?

P.S: we can hang our banner up can we?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby xerubus on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:47 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Does the D70Users.com or DSLRUSERS.COM have stands at this show?

P.S: we can hang our banner up can we?

Good question....

I will be mingling/networking and going to seminars as part of my business, however i'll be sure to throw the urls around.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:51 pm

What's Nikon/ Maxwell going to show at this show?
Perhaps D70, D100, D2h, D2x and some lenses.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:25 pm

It's not as if we're selling anything, are we?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Mal on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 pm

Nothing is Free in this world :( - The following is taken from thier website.

STAND SPACE APPLICATION - space allocation will be assigned by the organiser and the organiser reserves the right to alter the size of the stand slightly and also the open sides. The organiser will advise the exhibitor of the space and location allocated and the exhibitor has seven days to notify PICA that the Exhibition Space is not acceptable.

BASIC SHELL SCHEME OPTION No. 1: $385 per square metre plus GST (Choice of Shell Scheme may be varied up to 8 weeks prior to the event)

This includes 2.4 metre high walling system with an aluminium frame and silver frontrunner panels; company name on the facia panels; 1x 4-amp power point per each 9 square metre area. And 2x 150-watt spotlights per 9 square metre area.

OPEN SPACE ONLY (Only available for space over 27 Sq Metres): $345 per square metre plus GST

PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE - Compulsory Note:

The A$125 fee plus GST for public liability insurance will be waived if a certificate of currency for a policy covering your organisation for A$10 million for the period of the exhibition is lodged with the organiser 8 weeks prior to the exhibition. For co-exhibitors, a separate policy must be provided for each exhibitor, or of a fee of A$125 is applicable for each co-exhibitor. Rate: A$125 per exhibitor (plus GST)
Last edited by Mal on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby JordanP on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 pm

I hope to make it up.
Craig
JordanP

Postby georgie on Sun May 15, 2005 8:05 pm

Well I made it to the show. Was good overall

Here are some of my personal impressions.

1. Saw lots of people who were middle aged and elderley. Not sure if this is because they had the time to make it to the show or if they were genuinely interested, but it was great to see.

2. They flavour of the show was LARGE printers. Everywhere printers were printing out huge poster size prints. Very impressive.

3. Maxwell had a stand. Had Nikon/ Tamron/ Lowepro as main displays. Had 3 sections for Nikon - a prosumer DSLR range ie D70s and D50 and a pro section with higher end gear. All cameras were locked in glass displays, could play with it but needed someone to show you. Staff at the Nikon stand ranged from hopeless to informative, but still heard wrong facts being quoted all the time.

4. DSLR was the intered areas. Everyone seemed to be marketing them. I almost forgot that P&S were still available. :)

5. Everywhere I went, I heard people asking "but camera X has Y megapizels, why does yours only have Z megapixels?"

Have enlcosed some photos from the day. Sorry, not taken with D70 but my Canon S50.

Canon had some large lenses so you could feel like a pro - very popular.

Nikon stand

Canon Stand

Cheers
Georgie
georgie

Postby Matt. K on Sun May 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Thanks georgie
Wish I could have got there. Big printers make me drool. Guess you came home with a bag full of glossy brochures?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun May 15, 2005 9:41 pm

They had something similar last year with that Canon setup.

The 1000mm is very, very impressive... if not very, very heavy.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby georgie on Mon May 16, 2005 9:53 am

Matt. K wrote:Thanks georgie
Wish I could have got there. Big printers make me drool. Guess you came home with a bag full of glossy brochures?

Yep lots of them - my father in law came too, and he had 2 bags full of stuff - half about things he didn't even know.
Cheers
Georgie
georgie

Postby Glen on Mon May 16, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks Georgie for your shots
Glen

Postby JordanP on Mon May 16, 2005 11:08 am

I went up there on Saturday. It was an interesting walk around. The highlight for me was having a play with the D2X at the nikon stand .... nice camera! Took one raw shot with it on my CF card, wanted to bring it home and check out some of the WB issues as a result of encryption. Didn't get any good results outside of Nikon Capture software and I was unimpressed at the speed (or lack of) I experienced in manipulating that image in there. My system is running 1.5gig ram, yet manipulating the raw image when zoomed was painfully slow.

Perhaps the issues is with my configuration??? who knows.

As said previously, lots of big printers !! and it was nearly all about digital, sofware or printing BIG images. Also had a good look at the two new Epsons.

Cheers,
Craig
JordanP

Postby SteveGriffin on Mon May 16, 2005 12:08 pm

I went of Friday afternoon. I think that the pick of the show for me was Maxwell's demo stand on the SB800 and SB600.

They set up what was a very basic open air studio with a neutral backdrop and a SB800 and two 600's.

The demo's of the group and remote control features were very informative.
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Return to Events