Exhibition - Capturing the Blues

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Exhibition - Capturing the Blues

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:28 am

I have an exhibition opening next weekend in Mogo covering the last three Narooma Blues Festivals with 55 framed prints in all.

It is at Steve Fox’s Mogo Raw Arts and Blues Gallery (Mogo is 10 minutes past Batemans Bay) 10am to 5pm Fridays to Mondays from 2nd to 26th October – as per the poster:

Dallas Frasca

The image in the poster shows Dallas Frasca and Geoff Curran (“Dallas Frasca and her Gentleman”). Dallas plays a form of blues that is both very modern and very old, perhaps a mixture of grunge and ragtime and she has a great voice too. She may be familiar to many.

Here are a few more:

Diunna Greenleaf

Diunna Greenleaf is from Texas, is based in Gospel as well as Blues, has a very powerful presence on stage and a huge huge voice. She will be at Narooma again this year and I imagine she will end up in a duet with Candye Kane who will be there as well ….

Smokin’ Joe Kubeck

Smokin’ Joe Kubeck is a Texas-based electric guitar powerhouse, in partnership with the more Jazz-based Bnois King. They’ve been together for a long time, at least the early 80s. Smokin’ Joe had some technical problem in his first set last year though he still sounded great to me and I’m told he gave a much more impressive performance on the Sunday.

Jimmy Thackery

Red, White and Blues, perhaps. Jimmy Thackery (“Jimmy Thackery & the Drivers”) has been around for a long time, plays in a variety of styles and I think he’s based in Arkansas.

Regards,
Murray
Last edited by Murray Foote on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Foote

Re: Capturing the Blues

Postby surenj on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:58 am

These pictures are brilliant!! Good luck with your exhibition...
surenj

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:57 am

Thank you.
Murray Foote

Postby DebT on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am

Looks an interesting collection hope it goes well
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:18 am

These are all great, and I especially love the last of them. Great use of colour and space.

Good luck with the exhibition.

Are you wandering up here for the Sydney Blues Festival in October? I'm MCing there .... but will be suitably armed with Nikons too.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks, Deb and Gary.

I wasn't even aware of the Sydney Blues Festival until you mentioned it, Gary. Lots of familiar names playing there. It sounds very tempting. One thing at a time. I'll consider it after Narooma next weekend. I probably will turn up but may or may not apply for a pass as a photographer - I haven't finished processing Thredbo yet, partly due to all the effort required for the exhibition.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Return to Events