Jet Star Photography Competition

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Jet Star Photography Competition

Postby rossda on Fri May 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Not sure if people know about this, but it looks rather good, especially for the kids to enter.

Started 1st May 2009
and closes the 31 July 2009

http://www.jetstarphotocomp.com/?show_photo=b72707ed-9987-4388-8884-9c100167617a#/home/
Proud owner of a Nikon D90

A photograph is just a tool to show how beautiful the subject is. - I said that in the shower 24/11/2008
rossda

Re: Jet Star Photography Competition

Postby surenj on Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 pm

thanks for Rosda.

I think Jetsa might be trying to get some cheap promo photos?

# As a condition of entering this competition, all finalist and winning entrants grants the Promoter the right to use their winning image in Jetstar promotions and advertising worldwide for a period of 3 years, from the competition entry closing date. This usage is non-exclusive and royalty free. Further use of prize-winning images beyond the 3-year period, would be negotiated with the prize-winner. This usage includes but is not limited to any media including banners, signage, posters, television, magazine, Internet, MMS, DVD or other digital or print formats.
# The Promoter will award each entrant that becomes a finalist or a winner a $100 Jetstar Voucher for use of their photograph. The finalist agrees that except for this payment, they are not entitled to any remuneration, royalties or any other payment from the Promoter in respect of their use of the finalist's photograph as specified in Clause 20.

So you end up paying for them to use your photo? Unless you get a airfare for less than $100.
surenj

Postby hark40 on Sat May 23, 2009 12:46 am

Actually, the Jetstar T&C are actually quite nice compared to many others I have seen on similar competitions. Normally these sort of "competitions" state that they can use all submitted photos for whatever purpose for whatever period of time plus you give up your copyright (quite often) and you get zilch in return except for the couple of "winners". Plus whoever runs the competition gets a stock library almost for free.

With the Jetstar comp, every time the image is used, your name will be present, you keep the copyright, they indicate they will not alter or demean the image in any way (except to crop for reproduction purposes), and they will only use the image for 3yrs. The option is there for you to receive royalties after the 3yrs if Jetstar want to continue using the image and such an arrangement can be negotiated.

Compared to T&Cs I have read on other such competitions, the Jetstar ones are actually not too bad at all.
Canon 60D, 50 1.8, 24-105L IS, 100-400L IS, Sigma 10-20mm etc
I'd put something witty here, but I just can't think of anything....
hark40

Postby gstark on Sat May 23, 2009 11:34 am

hark40 wrote:Actually, the Jetstar T&C are actually quite nice compared to many others I have seen on similar competitions.

It's still Jetstar. I'd rather walk.

The $100 voucher is, quite frankly, pitiful. And they will probably still slug the winner for taxes plus luggage, and then cancel the booked flight without notice.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Sat May 23, 2009 11:39 am

I agree - the T &Cs are reasonable. If you win you get a prize (eg "value" for a number of prizes is between $3,000 and $12,000 for amateur) and they get to use your winning image for 3 years. For non winning finalists the $100 voucher is a bit cheapskate (it's not costing Jetstar $100 is it!), and they also get to use the image for 3 years so you have at least some compensation, recognition of your ownership and copyright and there's a sunset clause.

What I found interesting is this clause:
Jetstar wrote:Entrants may use photo editing software to ensure they are entering the correct file size and the correct file format. No digital manipulation is permitted (i.e: cutting out elements, adding elements or undertaking any creative interpretations).

What is "digital manipulation"? Is it just big stuff like they say or is a curves adjustment or sharpening in that category? Same goes for "creative interpretations" - is making it black and white or adding a vignette or a selective blur creative for example?
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Sat May 23, 2009 12:07 pm

stubbsy wrote:What I found interesting is this clause:
Jetstar wrote:Entrants may use photo editing software to ensure they are entering the correct file size and the correct file format. No digital manipulation is permitted (i.e: cutting out elements, adding elements or undertaking any creative interpretations).

What is "digital manipulation"? Is it just big stuff like they say or is a curves adjustment or sharpening in that category? Same goes for "creative interpretations" - is making it black and white or adding a vignette or a selective blur creative for example?

Ts & Cs by EnergyPolice. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Events