Helicopter 'Wet-Winching' demonstration Tues 28 Sep.

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Helicopter 'Wet-Winching' demonstration Tues 28 Sep.

Postby Killakoala on Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:16 pm

We (Navy) are conducting a Wet Winching demonstration by helicoptor in the waters between Garden Island and Lady MacQuaries chair (the point) on Tuesday 28 Sep. I am not sure of the exact time but will let you know sometime between Friday and Monday when i find out. (If i remember to find out, memory's not to good these days.)

Wet winching is lifting somone out of water by helicopter ala rescueing people. Two people are programmed to be rescued. (They volunteered)

I don't know what type of helicopter it will be but should be painted grey, possibly Seahawk or Seaking maybe even lucky and get one of the new Seasprites. :)

I can't get you access to Garden Island but you should be able to get some good shots with 200mm from 'the point.' The security guys are not too keen to have people with cameras wandering around any military base at the moment.

Stand by for updates.
Killakoala

Postby Killakoala on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:01 pm

Sorry it was cancelled due to an aircraft defect. :(
Killakoala

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:27 am

Killakoala wrote:Sorry it was cancelled due to an aircraft defect. :(

Thanks Steve, I was at Lady MacQuaries chair yesterday morning and thought that I missed out cos I was late or early, left there around 1:00pm after being questioned by few people, one of them is Park Ranger and other, I think he's undercover cop. I done my black photo vest with the loan 300/2.8 AFS + D2h on tripod + D100 + 70-200, and on stand by. Few photogs around too with Canon + big glass.

Perhaps, Navy pilots refuse to fly the old birds and they're waiting for the new delivery of the new Seasprites and showing off to public. They flew and drop off the cup last week at MCG, is that a flat tyre cos many tire-kickers around??????
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:24 pm

Woah, were these "questions" friendly or accusatory? Did they rough you up or try to confiscate anything? ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:31 pm

Onyx wrote:Woah, were these "questions" friendly or accusatory? Did they rough you up or try to confiscate anything? ;)

They just want to know what and why I'm setting up a camera with the tripod in that location cos they saw a big 300/ f2.8 AFS and a D100 with 70-200vr in my hand.

It's not a good time to hang around, especially Federal election is coming next week
Last edited by birddog114 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:33 pm

Forget to say that I show them My AP pass
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Killakoala on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:40 pm

Unfortunately the aircraft didn't even make it off the ground. It was a Seaking, one of the old Navy workhorses, not a new sexy Seasprite.

I was likewise disappointed. I had set up my camera and my new sexy monopod on the flightdeck of the ship ready and waiting for a bit of helo-action when i was told the winching was off. Such is life.
Killakoala

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:03 pm

Killakoala wrote:Unfortunately the aircraft didn't even make it off the ground. It was a Seaking, one of the old Navy workhorses, not a new sexy Seasprite.

I was likewise disappointed. I had set up my camera and my new sexy monopod on the flightdeck of the ship ready and waiting for a bit of helo-action when i was told the winching was off. Such is life.

Me too! you know that I love aircraft!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:01 pm

Dame!!!!!!!! "O" well next time :?

Killa, what monopod you end up getting??? :?

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Killakoala on Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:10 pm

A Manfrotto monopod with a swivel mount on top.
Killakoala

Return to Events